When or how are upgrades/upsell given?

Bowie MeMe

We have midship oceanview and that is just fine for the Nov 1, 2014 sailing but the curious mind wants to know. 40 days to sailing. There are still many balconies available according to a dummy booking and checking with one of the discount sites.

How are upsells/upgrades offered? How much do you consider a good deal going from OV to balcony--what should I expect to pay? Is the upgrade ever free? (2nd O cruise booked by TA) Is a balcony worth very much on a Caribbean journey to Belize? -- I've been happy with balcony but I'm also happy with OV. I'm just usually overjoyed to be on any ship! Cabin location on an R ship is not really a factor (unless there are some real noisy ones but O does not tend to noisy parties).

PS DH does not know that my mind is going in the direction of paying more:D

We are booked on the Summit 11/08 and 11/15 cruises. For the 11/08 cruise, we received both an upsell and an offer to switch to another cruise about two weeks ago. Didn't take advantage of either as they weren't particularly attractive. The "switch" we couldn't do as we have booked our air and we're doing the B2B followed by 7 days on Oceania. About 2 years ago we did the Amazon cruise on the Regatta and about one month before the cruise we got a really super offer (about $125/day for mid-ship, oceanview) to add the following 7 day cruise as a B2B ... THAT one we jumped on immediately! :) Our offers were forwarded by our TA in the form of emails from Celebrity and Oceania.

On a Princess cruise, we were offered a FREE upgrade (on the dock at check-in) - oceanview to veranda. But we turned it down. We had pre-selected a nice location ... mid-ship and lower deck ... and was offered the upgrade to a veranda that was on an upper deck and far forward. No one but you can make the decision if the upgrade/upsell is worth taking.

Edited by bigmjh

We were offered an upsell at 70 days to go from OV to Category A -Conceierge Veranda which we accepted. The value to me was getting the veranda and a higher deck. The other "amenities"were negligible IMHO. Approximately 10 days before sailing there was an upsell offer for a Penthouse that apparently sold out instantly. As others have said, if you are interested in an upsell, tell your TA what you are looking and what you are willing to pay so they can act immediately on your behalf.