When Should I Start Watching For Price Drops?

HollandAvery

Let me ask this, has anyone tried to get a price drop since Carnival has changed it to the form on their website?

The reason I ask, their form reads "All Lowest Price Guarantee claim forms must be submitted online within 48 hours of booking your cruise and verified by Carnival in order to qualify for the onboard credit."

Before this form, I would call and it wouldn't be a problem but now when I call, Carnival says you must fill out the form and Carnival will email you within 2 days (which is a lie).

My spa balcony on the Splendor has dropped $170 per person this week since I booked in January of this year

Honestly, I never even knew you could call for a price drop with ES and always used the ES form. I did not have any issues with it really, except one time. That time we had some OBC from a Future Cruise Certificate (RIP FCC :(). When they applied the price drop, the OBC went away. I sent an email about it and got no response. So when I called to upgrade myself, I mentioned it and they fixed it. Then I got an email that they fixed it. I kind of think they might have fixed it twice because I ended up with more OBC than I was expecting. But I did not complain or anything. :p

I'm the same way. 2-3 times a day until I get about a month from sailing. Then, I start checking at least 5 times a day. It sounds crazy, but I had a cruise in 2012, I submitted 3 price drops in one day.

I go even further on my October cruise and I am counting available cabins. It gives me an idea what my chances are for further price drops.

Call me crazy or OCD, but I have $552 OBC so far and that doesn't include the price drops I got before final payment.

Oh my gosh, I need to have you helping me check for my price drops! Geez! I feel like maybe I'm not checking the right way or something...or I'm worried I'm going to miss something. I really could use the OBC as I really want to go all out this cruise.

I'm a college student and part-time preschool teacher so I don't make a lot of money and saving up for this cruise has been hard, but I want to enjoy it and go all out...so I'm hoping for some price drops so I can get some OBC for drinks and what-not. A pedicure would be great on a sea day too! Or a massage if I ever got so lucky to get a huge PD.

Holland, with checking this morning, I found that my cruise a year from now had a $50 price drop. So, I contacted Carnival and got that price reduction for that cruise. Now since it is before final payment, they just pulled it off what I still owe them. But still, it is money saved.

So, check once in the morning before work and then when you get home. That should be good.

Steve

ok Hckyfan68.... so how do you do your checking? I need to learn so I can get OBC also! :)

I use Carnival's Fareviewer. I do have several other sites that periodically check to see if an outside source has a better rate. However, I have yet to find a site lower than Carnival's.

I think this cruise is an abnormality. In the past the most I have gotten is around $200 as an OBC. This cruise is just a hard sell it seems. Hell, there is a premium Vista that has been available for several months. :eek: My parents are joining us on the Breeze and they currently have $405 OBC on an inside cabin. When I checked this morning there are still showing 46 balcony cabins available. Like i said and abnormality.

The thing I have noticed is that pricing can be very fluid, especially on this cruise. Be diligent, and patient and have luck on your side and the OBC will come.

Hi HollandAvery :)

I typically check for price drops twice a day via fare-viewer. My wife

and I usually book our cruises 11 to 15 months prior to the voyage &

begin checking for price drops the very next day.

With many months left until we sail, we have already received a price

drop 2 weeks after we booked, another drop about 5 weeks ago, and

another drop just this morning.

Good luck, check often and have a terrific voyage!

Carnival Fare Viewer at:

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

The only thing you need to be aware of with using FareViewer is that if the port fees/taxes go up, it will cut into the price drop. I actually had a price drop on a cruise but the fees/taxes went up higher than the drop. So, I didn't change.

This is why I go into the Carnival website and do a mock booking which includes the fees/taxes in the "total price". It takes about the same time as using FareViewer.

I did a mock booking for our cruise but it only showed 50% reduced deposit...so would anything change for us from that?

I wasn't able to get through the whole thing because when I clicked on the stateroom to 'book' it took me to a cruise search page :confused: Carnival is being glitchy today.

But anyway, considering I've already paid a $500 deposit and it's still $439 pp and that hasn't changed I'm assuming the 50% reduced does absolutely nothing for me at all?

that is correct, the reduced deposit is for new bookings. All we look for once we book is to see if the price dropped. Where I usually find a good drop is when the upper decks don't have any additional fee associated with them. Found that today on a cruise for next September. Saved me $50.

So if you booked at a $439 rate and paid say $5/person/day extra to get on a higher deck, just seeing the $439 rate doesn't help. This is why I go through the booking until I get to the point where I select a cabin.

Also, what I have found out is that if I am logged in to my VIFP account, it does show a cheaper rate at times.

that is correct, the reduced deposit is for new bookings. All we look for once we book is to see if the price dropped. Where I usually find a good drop is when the upper decks don't have any additional fee associated with them. Found that today on a cruise for next September. Saved me $50.

So if you booked at a $439 rate and paid say $5/person/day extra to get on a higher deck, just seeing the $439 rate doesn't help. This is why I go through the booking until I get to the point where I select a cabin.

Also, what I have found out is that if I am logged in to my VIFP account, it does show a cheaper rate at times.

All very good information to know!

We booked an inside cabin with a porthole and I really wouldn't want to upgrade unless we got an oceanview or balcony. On our last cruise we got a FREE upgrade to an Oceanview and I wouldn't mind that happening again. I'd be willing to pay up to $150 more (total) for a balcony if offered but I don't think that'll happen. They did offer us $60pp total for a balcony last cruise but I was broke and sadly couldn't afford it as I didn't have my credit card yet, hehe.

Holland, Wife/I only book interiors since we aren't in the cabin much other to sleep, shower, change clothes. I have a porthole interior on the Pride in March. We've also booked 4Js on a couple of the ships. You may want to look at those. Big picture windows in the front of the ship.

We were offered an upgrade to an ocean-view for a small cost but since it would move us down from deck 7 to 1 or 2, we chose to stay where we were. We like it up on deck 7, forward.

Holland, Wife/I only book interiors since we aren't in the cabin much other to sleep, shower, change clothes. I have a porthole interior on the Pride in March. We've also booked 4Js on a couple of the ships. You may want to look at those. Big picture windows in the front of the ship.

We were offered an upgrade to an ocean-view for a small cost but since it would move us down from deck 7 to 1 or 2, we chose to stay where we were. We like it up on deck 7, forward.

See I don't mind as much what deck we are on as long as I'm not on the lido deck or very close to it...I wouldn't mind being higher up but I also don't mind being on deck 2 either (: I think I might check out the 4j's though!

actually, we've been up on the Lido deck before. You would be surprised at how quiet it actually is. not a lot of traffic in the front of the ship. Most go from the elevators out to the pool. So getting a cabin 1/2 way forward is nice.

Deck 7 is usually a good deck since there are cabins above and below. And once you get a taste of the 4Js, they become a premium. Just know that it is rare you will get a price drop on the 4Js. So when you book them, be comfortable with the price.

Would I have to call if I wanted to change to a 4j?

And would there be a charge to switch right now? I had early saver.

EDIT: By charge I mean an extra fee to switch...I think it would be another $111 possibly to do the 4j...but with the observation deck so close that might be worth it...but NOT if we have to pay another fee on top of it.

Edited by HollandAvery

actually, we've been up on the Lido deck before. You would be surprised at how quiet it actually is. not a lot of traffic in the front of the ship. Most go from the elevators out to the pool. So getting a cabin 1/2 way forward is nice.

Deck 7 is usually a good deck since there are cabins above and below. And once you get a taste of the 4Js, they become a premium. Just know that it is rare you will get a price drop on the 4Js. So when you book them, be comfortable with the price.

Oh wow, good to know! I always thought it'd be noisy for some reason.

But good to know about the unlikely price drop for them. Although I'm thinking it's unlikely I'll get a price drop for my interior PT??? Or does this not matter?

first, check to see if there is a 4J available. If so, are you booked with Carnival directly or a TA? In either case, call and ask if you can upgrade to a 4J. I would think you should be able to without the extra cost other than the difference between your current rate and the 4J. Again, be aware you probably won't get any price drops.

And yes, the forward decks are right in front of you. You are within a few steps from each of the side doors leading out to them.

it really depends on the cruise. On the one I just got off (Splendor, Sep 6), a PT cabin on deck 1 appeared in the last week. It was cheaper by $400/2 people than the OV cabin two doors away.

So, you really never know. Which is why we've mentioned to check a couple of times a day. Sometimes cabins pop up by people moving or cancelling.

We booked our cruise but it isn't until November 2015 (ahhhh the torture of waiting!), but I was curious to know when I should be checking the website daily to watch for price drops. Considering it's over a year away at this point I'm assuming there aren't any going to be happening any time soon...but when SHOULD I start watching?

I still consider myself a new cruiser and I've learned SO much from you guys on here, so I know many of you might be able to help me out (:

I also booked Nov. 2015 and was wondering the same question.

We booked our cruise but it isn't until November 2015 (ahhhh the torture of waiting!), but I was curious to know when I should be checking the website daily to watch for price drops. Considering it's over a year away at this point I'm assuming there aren't any going to be happening any time soon...but when SHOULD I start watching?

I still consider myself a new cruiser and I've learned SO much from you guys on here, so I know many of you might be able to help me out (:

I am 229 days out and I caught one on Friday when they were running their 20% off and 1/2 deposits special again. messaged my TA and she wrote me back today and both cabins had a 50 buck decrease.. I'll take it!!

I check at least once a day and also I always check my emails they send me to see what specials they are offering.

Good luck! I love saving money!