Infinity Questions

worldtrekker

Greetings.

My husband and I are booking an Alaska Hubbard Glacier cruise round trip from Vancouver for the first week of August 2013 on Infinity. This will be the first big trip we have taken in many years without our children. We were on the Solstice Alaska cruise last year round trip from Seattle and had a wonderful time. We really enjoyed Alaska and are keen to go back and experience the glacier route. We were in a 2B veranda for that trip - the balcony was key to me for watching Alaska from the ship.

This trip will be during our 19th wedding Anniversary, so I thought we could make it even more special by booking Aqua class. I realize determining if it is "worth it" is very individual, and the deciding factor seems to be dining in Blu. I would love to hear opinions on whether the persian gardens is utilized much during an Alaska cruise. A warm relaxing sauna sounds nice. I realize the M class is different than S, but we did not use the spa on our Solstice trip, so I really cannot compare. We are looking at 2A veranda vs C2 vs Aqua.

If Aqua, is deck 9 or 11 better for Alaska. I am not sure we could do the aft, but I may look into that. I understand there is an overhang on 9? We would not be looking for a warm sunny place to hang out, but a place to view the beautiful coastline as we cruise along. Also, I am a heavy sleeper, so deck noise is generally not an issue. Any favorite M-class Aqua rooms?

Thank you all - CC helped immensely during our last cruise.

Deck 11 worthwhile it is isolated and quiet, great views. Persian gardens not great oN Infinity. On our Norway cruise half the time steam rooms do not work and the stone "Bench" is in the middle of the room lots of folks walking by, so not relaxing. It is completely different than on the S class. The best feature is Blu, :owith, but depends on price differential versus Veranda Cabin.

But whatever you decide, enjoy

We are doing Aqua for the first time on our upcoming cruise... Constellation in December

We have fallen in love with bigger balconies and being aft... So we went with the Aqua Sunsets on Deck 11

Based on the photos / reviews we saw for these NEW Solsticized Cabins on th M-Class Ship I would think it would be hard to consider them ever a poor choice

More so if you can get a good price, and be the sort to enjoy the extra perks of Aqua Class... Such as The Blu DR - Persian Gardens etc (still to be proved out for us... But we are willing to take the chance)

I would certainly look at an Aft Sunset Balcony (Suite - Family - Concierge - Aqua) for a special cruise with great scenery... Such as Alaska.

We are confirmed Aft-Lovers now I think. Hard to beat IMO

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I would suggest the deck 11 aqua for your cruise. The deck 11 aqua cabins have superb views and were new cabins when Infinity was refitted a couple of years ago to include aqua. Deck 9 cabins were remodeled a bit, but not new. It is very easy to get outside to an open deck from the deck 11 aqua cabins. This is a big plus. If the captain announces a bear or whale sighting, easy access to an open deck will be handy when the sighting is not viewable from your balcony. While the aft cabins are nice, the other aqua cabins port and starboard are also good choices.

We had an AFT 11 Aqua on the Summit last November and it was great. We were even over the smoking area from the Deck 10 bar, but barely noticed this. Also, they have some entertainment on Deck 10. We enjoyed it - was not too loud. The view from the AFT cabins is great.

Thank you for the tip on the aft cabins. I have placed my deposit and picked my perk for the cruise :D

We decided to go with the AQ deck 11 aft. Our TA has recommended 1130, but 1138 is also available. I see that 1138 has a larger balcony, but is also tucked in a bit, with the sail shade from the bar just below. In Alaska, we used the balcony on Solstice to eat breakfast, enjoy coffee or a cocktail and watch the scenery while curled up on deck chairs.

I would be keen to hear your opinions and preferences.

Edited by worldtrekker

Copied from my post in another thread last year:

We were in 1139 on the Infinity a couple of weeks ago, and in 1136 on the Infinity last year for Alaska, and can say with certainty they are great cabins. In fact, I like them better then the deck 11 aft cabins (initially booked 1138 for Alaska, but switched to 1136 after more consideration and seeing photos). Having the corner aft room gives you amazing views forward along the side of the ship, and since there is nothing aft of you on Deck 11, you can easily lean your head out from you balcony and enjoy the views off the back of the ship as well. I also spent a fair bit of time at the top of the Deck 11 aft stairs looking off the back of the ship, since they are literally right outside your door.

As others have mentioned, about the only downside to these cabins is the lack of an overhang. That being said, we loved having nothing above us. Being photographers, we loved having completely unobstructed views right from the waterline to the sky.

Here are some shots taken off the balcony from our previous cruises in those cabins:

http://imgur"dot"com/a/9XXSq

EDIT: Having trouble linking, replace the "dot"

Thank you for the tip on the aft cabins. I have placed my deposit and picked my perk for the cruise :D

We decided to go with the AQ deck 11 aft. Our TA has recommended 1130, but 1138 is also available. I see that 1138 has a larger balcony, but is also tucked in a bit, with the sail shade from the bar just below. In Alaska, we used the balcony on Solstice to eat breakfast, enjoy coffee or a cocktail and watch the scenery while curled up on deck chairs.

I would be keen to hear your opinions and preferences.

1140--the center aft--is the prize with the largest balcony but all are great cabins... I'd personally select 1138 of the two that are available to you; it and 1141 have the next largest balconies, and those on the ends--1130 and 1133--have the least oversized of the aft balconies [the sizes graduate down from the center]...

From my perspective, no concern relative to the sail shade covering the bar below... You'll be looking out--not down--and in any case the shade does not cover all the way to the rail of the Deck 10 bar below...

The verandas on Deck 11 Aft are all larger than those accompanying the deck 11 port and starboard cabins and, unlike the others, have partial shelter from above... 1136 and 1139 are nice cabins but the verandas are smaller [which is to say that they are standard size], they do not wrap around [one does need to crane one's neck around a partition to see aft], and--though Deck 11 doesn't get much traffic in any case--they are immediately adjacent to the corridor end doors that lead to the exterior stairways down to the bar/the rear doors to the cafe below so as to create potential for a bit more--but by no means excessive if my experience runs true--noise...

I'll be in 1140 again on Summit to Canada & New England on Sunday and can't wait...

Super, convenient location! Congratulations on snagging great cabin choice opportunities! Enjoy!

Edited by Xport