Odd things about our Canada cruise

warmwinds

I also find time zones fascinating, and of course you learn so much by traveling, too.

China, as HUGE as it is, is all in the same time zone; not geographically, of course, but by government decree. Thanks to Mao, the entire country is on Beijing time. Makes for some very dark mornings in the western part of the country, some 3,000 miles away from the capital. Kind of like having San Francisco be on the same time as New York and D.C.

This was not a liquor blue law thing, but the weirdest thing I found back in the late 70's when I first moved to Chicago was that you could not buy meat in a supermarket at night or on a weekend! The meat would be there in the case, but it would have a heavy plastic sheet over it. Reason was the Butcher's Union (or whatever it was called) would only let it be sold when a butcher was present. I mean you could not even pick up a pound of ground beef already wrapped - you had to come back when a butcher was there (regular business hours) even though he did nothing for you!

Wierd; when I first came to live in Huddersfield (from Cardiff) you couldn't buy Fish and Chips on a Sunday.

However, you could buy a 'Take Away ' meal, say from a local Chinese restaurant, so the Fish and Chip shops started providing gravy as this constituted a 'meal' as opposed to a 'snack.' As Fish and Chips were wrapped in Newspaper ( before the days of 'Health and Safety') the gravy was provided in a pot.

Ha! Isn't that interesting - and even more so in the context of Newfoundland. When you order fish and chips there they ask if you would like dressing and gravy - the dressing is a breadcrumb based mixture which would be called stuffing in the UK and the gravy, well I have know idea what they use as a base (certainly not fish). I was horrified to see my colleague who lives there, dump the dressing all over the fish and chips and then pour the gravy over the whole lot. One hot mess I will say.

Ha! Isn't that interesting - and even more so in the context of Newfoundland. When you order fish and chips there they ask if you would like dressing and gravy - the dressing is a breadcrumb based mixture which would be called stuffing in the UK and the gravy, well I have know idea what they use as a base (certainly not fish). I was horrified to see my colleague who lives there, dump the dressing all over the fish and chips and then pour the gravy over the whole lot. One hot mess I will say.

Hi WPGCYCLER,

Gotta love all the great "quirky" things that make up this great country

So many elements from our fascinating cultural history that have "been tweaked / evolved" in some unique way

And Newfoundland has sooo many fascinating food & cultural traditions... Over 1000 years in the making

She is truly a Province "out there"

But one I think every Canadian is proud to call part of the mix

(she may be a far away Province with not a huge population... But I think pretty much every Canadian knows someone, or more correctly has a Friend from "the rock")

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hi WPGCYCLER,

Gotta love all the great "quirky" things that make up this great country

So many elements from our fascinating cultural history that have "been tweaked / evolved" in some unique way

And Newfoundland has sooo many fascinating food & cultural traditions... Over 1000 years in the making

She is truly a Province "out there"

But one I think every Canadian is proud to call part of the mix

(she may be a far away Province with not a huge population... But I think pretty much every Canadian knows someone, or more correctly has a Friend from "the rock")

Cheers!

Thanks SJB. I'm a huge fan of NL and it's people - my favourite part of the country actually. Don't get there nearly as often as I'd like!