Does using a travel agent gain you anything?

I would like to know how to get a good travel agent. When we first started cruising in 1991, we used a TA, and it worked out great. We used him for 3 cruises after that. Then he left the company, and that's about the time web agencys became popular, and we found a person we liked there. We did out business with her by phone, and it was like having a local TA. Now, she's gone, also.

So, we have had another person we have dealt with out of state, and she was wonderful for 2 cruises, and now she won't return an e-mial. So, I walk into a store front travel agency last week, and speak to them about a cruise for February, picked up some brochures, and told the young lady I would call her Tuesday. Called her Tuesday morning, and asked her to get some prices for me on the date I gave her. Said she would call me back Tuesday afternoon, and of course I have not heard a word from her. Thought I would like dealing with a live body again, but guess I'll try RCCL directly and see if my money is any good with them.

If my car tears up, I have friends who can recommend a good garage to take it to, because they have been there. Or where to get a good deal on a new appliance, because they got one there- but I don't have any friends that use a travel agency. Therefore, I have to go by what people say on a thread such as this, or go by advertisements. Not mad at anybody. Just get frustrated sometimes. We go on our 14th cruise in Sept.- so I'm not new at this.

With many customers, such as yourself, booking directly with the cruiselines, would you say that travel agents are a dying breed?

I think that TA's still have value. The ones that survive will morph more into travel "consultants" who are very knowledgeable and can give advice on locations, amenities, modes of travel, etc. and will serve people who do not know much about their destination and are seeking advice.

The ones that do nothing more than book someones desired vacation will die a painful death. Knowledgeable travellers can do all of their own booking in just a few moments with a high speed internet connection.

I never book air or hotel accomodations with the cruiselines because I can find better, and cheaper, flights myself. I've seen a number of instances where RCI will book air travel consisting of multiple legs and layovers that may be inexpensive but not the most efficient.

It takes me less time to book a cruise, air and hotel online than it would for me to call a TA and have them handle it.

If you have a good one that works well for you, great, but I simply have no need for someone to handle things for me.

So, to answer your question, I would certainly use a good TA to help me plan a vacation to somewhere I've never been. I would do enough research to find someone who specialized in booking vacations to my desired destination.

There's still demand for good TA's but the playing field will have a lot less TA's on it.

I am noticing how many of these posts begin with "a good travel agent..." or a similar phrase. The thing that makes the selling case for TA's difficult [for me, at least] is that a bad TA can have a really averse affect on your holiday. We booked our last trip through a major online TA because they offered us free wine. We had no issues with them and were surprised by the level of service, given what is said about these "telemarketers" according to some on these boards. We were so impressed that we re-booked with them for our next trip because they saved us hundreds of dollars over what the cruise line was charging at the time.

We have friends who booked through a regular brick and mortar TA and they have had the run-around on every request. It seems that this agency got their money and now sees any request for assistance to be a burden. The agency is affiliated with all the right associations but the service is lacking. The problem is, our friends cannot request anything of the line directly because they have this crummy agent and all requests must go through an agent. They felt they had done their homework.

We booked another cruise directly with the line for a year from now. It has been pain-free and we have found them to be helpful (although not quite as helpful as the online agency) and I like that I can switch my cabin if a better one comes up. I called the line directly and several times, they have been thorough in looking for the corner aft I wanted. I even moved to a larger corner aft at their advice. This would not be possible with a bad TA or even a mediocre one.

I agree with everyone here who says a good TA is worth their weight in gold. My issue is with finding one and the bad experiences that happen along the way. I'd rather invest that emotional energy into learning for myself and having more control over a holiday.

When you call that airline, hotel, car rental, electronics or office supply store & all are answered by folks in India. They have no idea on rebates, coupons, C&A specials, etc. I am very aggitated with this. USA has folks starving who could be doing these job but they are shipping them out to cheap workforces in other countries.

Fifteen years ago you were able to pick up a phone (remember those) and call an airline, hotel chain, car rental chain and cruise line directly. I even did it 20 and 25 years ago. If I knew about travel agents back then, I would have let them do all the calling for me and used my time elsewhere.

who is 3rd generation cruise only. She is so great, that she can book us on a cruise & send us a card with info in it. She did this with FOS 10/15/06 last month. She had a D1 (9228) booked for us. We will be Elite with "X" so that is Diamond with RCCL. This is a C&A member cruise so it will be extra special. Funny thing was I have the "X" VISA but needed the RCCL VISA for double points, so MBNA gets me one overnight (Saturday delivery). SO she has us booked thru 2007. When onboard each of the 3 cruises we are on, we will check 2007 rates for various destinations to book onboard.

She had a $150 coupon that RCCL had only a $100 coupon in their magazine we got. So that $50 saved. Her daughter (8 years old) sends us gifts onboard & her son (11 years old) send my DH stuff. So nothing illegal. But as I was told when this press releawse came out & TA went to Maimi for a conference on this. RCCL wants paid in full the amount they list for the cruise. After they get their money, the TA can refund yours 100% for a free cruise you won. That is between you & him/her. So offers for free trip insurance, MC gift cards, etc are all given after you return home from the cruise.

When you call that airline, hotel, car rental, electronics or office supply store & all are answered by folks in India. They have no idea on rebates, coupons, C&A specials, etc. I am very aggitated with this. USA has folks starving who could be doing these job but they are shipping them out to cheap workforces in other countries.

I beg to differ. First of all, I haven't actually spoken to any human being for all of my bookings on my upcoming cruise. I booked all directly on the specific organizational websites, RCI, JetBlue, Holiday Inn, limo company, etc. I have had e-mail corresponsence from JetBlue due to a rate decrease since I booked in May, which they honored and credited me $110 and responded via e-mail within an hour.

On RCI's website, I selected my cabin, dining arrangement, entered my boarding information and setup my onboard charge account, paid deposit and made payments on my cruise along the way and booked three excursions. I received my cruise docs 35 days in advance. Air travel is booked and confirmed, hotel is booked and confirmed, limo from airport is booked and confirmed and cruise and excursions are booked and confirmed. No telephone involved and no middleman making a commission from me or to be involved in screwing up anything. All of this took less than 30 minutes of my time.

It's troubling that a traveller thinks it's a great idea that their TA is "using" their child in getting around cruise line policies. It should let you know how they will treat you when they need to get around you should a problem arise.

We have never had any luck with using a travel agent. My husband and I do our homework and book our own cruise. We have, on 2 or 3 occasions found a better or less expensive room than they could find for us. When we did us a TA the only thing that we got as a perk was a bad bottle of wine.:(

I've always booked my own air and hotels, either by phone or the internet. But when we started cruising 3 years ago (no one warned me that it would become an addiction!) we went through a TA, who happens to be one of my best friends. She always gets us great cabins, some of which were not listed on any website. She's also there for problems, like when we had to cancel part of our Alaskan reservation and there were strange charges on the RCL invoice, which she eventually straightened out. And I figure since there is no discounting with RCL, why not put the commission in her pocket instead of RCL's? She cruises at least once a year, always on a different ship and tours many ships when they are in port, so she's not just sitting at a computer, booking you with no personal experience. And if I need to call her about something I can, without worrying about talking to someone in some godforsaken place on the planet who can't understand me.

Reading this as an insult was not taken too well.

My TA has been mine for years & we are great friends also. I enjoy her children who went into space this year as their camp. Very intellectual kids & great to cruise with. When the daughter learns that we are on a particular cruise, she wants to send this " little gentlemen in tuxes" which are chocolate covered strawberries that they had in their suite. SO they are ordered online & delivered that first night. My DH & her son became great buddies on a cruise, so they send something in his name also to him.

She has had her share of problems with Princess, NCL, and lucily not RCCL/X. Everything from 3 canceled cruises within 4 months on Princess to a closed airport in San Juan with NWA on strike & picketers blocking service to anyone else. 20,000 folks stranded and not too many swimmers.......

It's troubling that a traveller thinks it's a great idea that their TA is "using" their child in getting around cruise line policies. It should let you know how they will treat you when they need to get around you should a problem arise.

She always gets us great cabins, some of which were not listed on any website.

We too always booked cruses with a in a TA, but this last time I was booking RCI for the first time. I had looked on RCI web site and got rates ect and I had secured a temporary reservation and locked in a cabin #. When I had called my TA regarding needing rates ect. He called me back and he gave me the same rate I had recieved plus he said he got get this room number for me. That room number he got was on the web site right next to the room I had temporary booked!!! I went ahead and let him take over that temporary resv (with cc to secure it) but in the meantime I made another reservation on my own with RCI (through their web site) and I have done lots of adjustments on it and I seem to be in control of the resv (which I like more). So unknown at this time if this TA is doing anything above and beyond that I cannot already do on my own!!

I think it really just depends upon the individual, the level of service you are receiving and the travel agent you are dealing with. Are there just plain "order takers" out there that just want your business one time, don't care about servicing you and don't care if you repeat with them? Yes there are.

But there are travel consultants, who do just that - they qualify, give advice and work with the client through the booking process, the trip and afterwards. A good agent is worth their weight in gold - especially when there are problems.

An earlier poster was comparing the "$250 in commision" a travel agent may make to the "6000.00" that the individual booking direct with the cruise line and how that "6000.00" booking carries more weight. I highly doubt it because the volume that the agency may be doing with the cruise line is probably in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and that carries more weight than an individual $6000.00 booking when it comes to bargaining power or troubleshooting. It has nothing to do with the individual commission an agent is making on a booking. It is especially valuable if that agency decides to move that amount of business to another cruise line (which can and does happen) because of lack of resolving customer issues.

You have to be comfortable with what you are doing individually. If you are comfortable booking directly - do it, but don't call several TA's working them to death over $25 savings and then book direct - just book direct and be done with it.

If you feel like you want the comfort level of having someone knowledgeable (and I mean someone who is a certified counsellor who does ship inspections on a regular basis and knows the business and can qualify you with the cruiseline that matches your needs), then find an agent you trust and develop a relationship with them and never look back. It's like finding a good accountant, attorney, doctor, etc. You develop trust and the agent will always provide you with the best value for your cruise vacation.

Off my soapbox now.......

Reading this as an insult was not taken too well.

My TA has been mine for years & we are great friends also. I enjoy her children who went into space this year as their camp. Very intellectual kids & great to cruise with. When the daughter learns that we are on a particular cruise, she wants to send this " little gentlemen in tuxes" which are chocolate covered strawberries that they had in their suite. SO they are ordered online & delivered that first night. My DH & her son became great buddies on a cruise, so they send something in his name also to him.

She has had her share of problems with Princess, NCL, and lucily not RCCL/X. Everything from 3 canceled cruises within 4 months on Princess to a closed airport in San Juan with NWA on strike & picketers blocking service to anyone else. 20,000 folks stranded and not too many swimmers.......

You should have been more clear in your original post. You made it sound like she was trying to bend the rules by having her kids send you treats when you said "so nothing illegal" in referring to her practice of doing this. You also didn't mention that the TA was a good friend, which may affect the service you get.

I see several of you have described your TA as "worth their weight in gold". They get the cabins you want, they have a bottle of wine sent the first night, you love to hear their cheery voice when you call, they always ask to see pictures when you get back, they fight the cruiselines for you when injustice strikes, etc. Just how valuable is this gold. Let's move forward to 2010, when the last of the major cruiselines eliminates commissions as the airlines did and are staffing up their in-house reservations departments. You call your midas TA to book your cruise and they say "hey, great to hear from you; can't wait to see the pictures - and by the way, since we no longer get commissions, I'm going to have to charge you a modest service fee (just like they do now for airline reservations). At what point do you say, no thanks, its just not worth that much. Is that $100, $200, $500....??

Peter

I see several of you have described your TA as "worth their weight in gold". They get the cabins you want, they have a bottle of wine sent the first night, you love to hear their cheery voice when you call, they always ask to see pictures when you get back, they fight the cruiselines for you when injustice strikes, etc. Just how valuable is this gold. Let's move forward to 2010, when the last of the major cruiselines eliminates commissions as the airlines did and are staffing up their in-house reservations departments. You call your midas TA to book your cruise and they say "hey, great to hear from you; can't wait to see the pictures - and by the way, since we no longer get commissions, I'm going to have to charge you a modest service fee (just like they do now for airline reservations). At what point do you say, no thanks, its just not worth that much. Is that $100, $200, $500....??

Peter

I'd evaluate it the same way I evaluate cruise insurance -- don't need it most of the time, but the time I do, it's worth every penny.

As far as how much it is worth in terms of $$, I'll worry about it when the time comes to worry about it. The entire tourism model may certainly change in ten years, but as long as there are incompetent and lethargic customer service representatives at airlines, cruise companies and hotels, and as long as fate and complex travel plans trigger "Murphy's Law" scenarios, there's always work for a travel agent :)

Cheers,

Esther

I'm biased since I am a part-time travel agent. But putting the bias aside as best I can, I ask, Why would you NOT use a travel agent if the price is the same?

I personally don't think cruise agents should charge a service charge; the cruise lines DO pay commissions. So in my opinion there is no valid reason to charge a service charge to customers. Be warned that most of the mega-online travel agencies do charge $10-20 service charges. I think it's ok for agents to charge a service charge for airline reservations since all of the major airlines don't pay commissions and thus agents simply can't work for free.

So assuming that the price you get from a travel agent and the price you get directly from the cruise line is exactly the same, why not develop a relationship with a nearby travel agent by booking with the agent and it costs you the customer nothing. Then you have all the advantages (previously mentioned) of the agent at no cost. For those of you who have indicated that researching great cruise deals is part of the fun, I agree with you fully. But that doesn't prevent you from booking through a travel agent either; you'll have done all the work but you'll also know the TA's price quote is valid. Most of you buy travel insurance, right? Why do you do that? It's to protect your "investment" in the cruise. Well, using a travel agent can be the same thing, but at no cost, when trouble arrives and you need someone to turn to.

BobK/Orlando

up next: Sovereign of the Seas (10/05)

Costa Mediterranea (01/06)

I see several of you have described your TA as "worth their weight in gold". They get the cabins you want, they have a bottle of wine sent the first night, you love to hear their cheery voice when you call, they always ask to see pictures when you get back, they fight the cruiselines for you when injustice strikes, etc. Just how valuable is this gold. Let's move forward to 2010, when the last of the major cruiselines eliminates commissions as the airlines did and are staffing up their in-house reservations departments.

You certainly are a dreamer Peter. With your comment above, you are saying that the airlines increased their reservation staff when they eliminated commissions to make up for the lack of sales from TA's. That is furthest from the truth. Airlines have cut back on staffing and TA's still sell airline tickets. TA's account for over 90% of all cruise sales and the major players insist that they do not want to give up the sales from TA's. I think it is time you woke up from your dream.

You certainly are a dreamer Peter. With your comment above, you are saying that the airlines increased their reservation staff when they eliminated commissions to make up for the lack of sales from TA's. That is furthest from the truth. Airlines have cut back on staffing and TA's still sell airline tickets. TA's account for over 90% of all cruise sales and the major players insist that they do not want to give up the sales from TA's. I think it is time you woke up from your dream.

And would you expect that the major players would say anything different. The airlines all said the same thing a few years ago. I say, why wouldn't they want to eliminate commissions? Royal Caribbean alone spent almost a BILLION dollars last year for commissions and other travel expenses. Even if the commissions were half of that number, $500,000,000 is something the cruiselines and their stockholders HAVE to pay attention to.

Will there always be travel agents? Most definitely. Will they have to charge a service fee to stay in business? Most definitely.

I still want to hear from the non-TA's about how much they think this wonderful service is worth.

Peter

Hmmm...why I went with a very highly recommended TA this time, when I booked everything myself last time? 1) When I called RCCL a year in advance and asked if specific rooms were available, the reply was simply "No," followed by a dial tone--ouch. 2) When I called back, the reply was: yes, cabins were available but impossible to reserve with only two people each, must book three minimum (both are quad cabins). The TA accomplished what RCCL couldn't (or wouldn't do) over the phone dealing with me directly--I have what I wanted with no out-of-pocket cost to me--plus the benefit of a very experienced "cruise only" TA in the event I need additional assistance. If proposed scenario "fee for cruise reservation service" comes to pass, will evaluate worth at that time....

A TA will get you that certain cabin the RCCL's web site doesn't show or thier rep says is booked. A TA will keep a lookout for potential upgrades and price cuts that you can get. A TA can figure out a lot quicker if you will save using the RCCL fly away program or booking your flight separately and buying the bus package to the pier. Almost always the TA's vacation insurance is cheaper than RCCL's, and just as good. I booked directly through RCCL this time, going back to my TA next time.

Of course the choice is yours.

This has been an interesting post to read.

First of all, I am not a TA. I am however, a pretty savvy internet user. Like many of you have stated previously, all of the information is out there waiting to be found. I've never booked direct with the cruise line, but I have used both brick & mortar agents and online discount agents.

Our first cruise was booked through an agent in the flesh. Not having a lot of knowledge of the cruise industry...I think we fared okay however, I quickly realized that we could get a much better deal on our own. The service was okay...and I had no other loyalties.

From that point forward, we booked our own trips online. I enjoy trying to find the best deal...seeing what cabins are available...and doing this in real time.

Now, for our next two upcoming cruises, I've gone back to a "live" agent. This is a different person than the one that's mentioned above. In some instances, I feel like I'm probably her most educated client (thanks to these boards!) But for our international travel...I wouldn't dare attempt it on my own. So many additional details to consider...visas, transfers, decent hotels, flights, etc.

I agree with the statement that a good TA is worth their weight in gold...and I do believe that I'm back working with someone face to face. Especially since the lines no longer discount.

Just my 2 cents!

Archived