Does using a travel agent gain you anything?

I know that travel agents are no longer allowed to lower Royal Caribbean Cruise prices but are they still allowed to give you some sort of incentive towards your cruise (i.e. on-board credit, wine package, etc.)? And, if they are allowed to give you an incentive, what incentives should I expect/hope for when calling a travel agent? What incentives do you get?

If they aren't allowed to give you incentives any longer, why do you use a travel agent? What do you get out of it?

I ask because I've been using the same travel agent for some time now. I just recently returned from an Alaskan cruise and included in my documents for that cruise was a letter from my travel agent telling me that 'should I book another cruise while on-board, I was to use him as my agent' and that after I returned home he'd 'see what he could do for me to make it worth my while'. Well I did book the C&A Freedom Cruise while on-board and I did use him as my agent. After coming home and calling him several times to 'see what he could do for me', he's now explained to me that RC's policies prevent him from giving me anything other then what RC has already given me. Then why did I put him down as my agent? And then why did he send me this letter telling me he'd 'better my offer'. Money in his pocket but no incentives for me. I'm truly not happy.

I know that travel agents are no longer allowed to lower Royal Caribbean Cruise prices but are they still allowed to give you some sort of incentive towards your cruise (i.e. on-board credit, wine package, etc.)? And, if they are allowed to give you an incentive, what incentives should I expect/hope for when calling a travel agent? What incentives do you get?

If they aren't allowed to give you incentives any longer, why do you use a travel agent? What do you get out of it?

I ask because I've been using the same travel agent for some time now. I just recently returned from an Alaskan cruise and included in my documents for that cruise was a letter from my travel agent telling me that 'should I book another cruise while on-board, I was to use him as my agent' and that after I returned home he'd 'see what he could do for me to make it worth my while'. Well I did book the C&A Freedom Cruise while on-board and I did use him as my agent. After coming home and calling him several times to 'see what he could do for me', he's now explained to me that RC's policies prevent him from giving me anything other then what RC has already given me. Then why did I put him down as my agent? And then why did he send me this letter telling me he'd 'better my offer'. Money in his pocket but no incentives for me. I'm truly not happy.

Personally, I've never found any benefit to use a TA since the advent of the internet and easily navigated websites that allow online booking for just about everything.

I can book cruises, flights and hotel reservations online and I know that it's been taken care of. I've used TA's in the past and some have missed making payments on time and gets docs to me late, etc. I don't like the uncertainty and I definitely don't need a middleman to do what I can do myself. If there's no incentive for me to do so, then why do it?

I am guessing here, but it sounds like your TA uses a stock letter. No harm in that.

So why use the agent?

You book, what, maybe one two or even three cruises a year? SO your revenue is maybe $6,000 to $8,000 a year to the cruise line.

Your agent, and his/her company book, for sake of argument, $250,000 a year on that cruise line. If you have any problems, who is the cruise line going to listen to? Your $6K or your agent's $250?

We can all access info on the net or web sites, but agents develop one on one relationships with the cruise line's sales reps. They are provided info long before you or I or the web. Your agent can keep you current, offer info, offer ideas, etc,etc,etc.

Use the web to get the most detailed info ou can then rely on a professional to handle the arrangements.

I spent most of my life in the travel industry, have booked some cruises directly or via the internet, but seem to always go back to the same agency.

Call it a comfort level.

I don't book a cruise because my agent is going to give me a bottle of wine, focus on the cruise on the other stuff.

The travel agent controversy will continue on and on. It comes up every month or so: is there an advantage? That depends on what you are looking for, how experienced you are and whether you want someone to stand behind you or be there for you when something goes wrong. We all know you will probably save (not always) by going through the net. I also know, from personal experienced you get no service and things like docs are more likely to bet lost or delayed. What about when there is a ship cancellation or serious change, most net companies will not be there for you as quickly, if at all, as your TA professional. They are order takers, reservation agents or whatever you want to call them. Can you TA offer incentives, that depends on a couple of things? But more than the gifts, which are really nice, by the way, the service is the most important issue.

NMNita

Two reasons :1) personalized service

2) advocacy.

There is a difference between using a travel agent, and using a "good" travel agent. Many of the problems that folks have experienced came from using a travel agent who would not fit my definition of a "good" one.

I don't know about anyone else, but the TA I checked with had a price for my upcoming cruise that was $100.00 cheaper than the online price at RCCL. It was also cheaper than the local TA I checked with. As I have used the cheaper TA in the past with no problems, I promptly booked with her. That $100 will be gone in any event, my G/F loves to feed the slots.....

Although I was not expecting it at all, given RCCL’s new discount policy, when we booked last weekend for 2/07, our TA saved us about $100/person. Even when we weren’t expecting a discount, though, we would have gone through her because we’ve used her in the past, and she’s taken care of us. She’s gone to bat for us in minor disputes with cruise lines, provided wine and cheese in staterooms upon boarding, and watched for price drops so we didn’t have to. I’ll book airfare, hotels, and car rentals online myself, but will continue to use a TA for cruises.

The travel agent controversy will continue on and on. It comes up every month or so: is there an advantage? That depends on what you are looking for, how experienced you are and whether you want someone to stand behind you or be there for you when something goes wrong. We all know you will probably save (not always) by going through the net. I also know, from personal experienced you get no service and things like docs are more likely to bet lost or delayed. What about when there is a ship cancellation or serious change, most net companies will not be there for you as quickly, if at all, as your TA professional. They are order takers, reservation agents or whatever you want to call them. Can you TA offer incentives, that depends on a couple of things? But more than the gifts, which are really nice, by the way, the service is the most important issue.

NMNita

When I book online, I'm not talking about using a web based travel firm, I book directly on RCI's website. It's user friendly, I can book excursions, select dining arrangements, cabin, to online check-in, make payments on my reservation, everything. I've never had a problem and I can always access my information to make changes whenever I want. I always receive my docs at least 30 days out. I've simply never needed the services of a TA.

I'm with Fritz265, I like to be in control of my vacation. Fifteen years ago you had no choice but to use a Travel Agency to book airfare, hotes, cars and cruises. Today, booking those parts of your vacation on the internet is easy. You can't get any cheaper airfare, hotel rooms, rental cars or RCCL cruises using a TA, so why not book direct. If I find the cheapest airfare on expedia or orbitz, I go directly to that airlines website and can usually get it even cheaper. Same with hotel rooms ro rental cars. Today, with RCCL's new policy, you can't book a cheaper cruise anywhere, so why not book direct.

These arguments above from the TA's like "whose going to stand behind you" or "who do you think they're going to listen to, your $6,000 or my agency's $250,000" are what they are now reduced to since they can't price compete. The answer to those arguments is that there is a "right" solution to every problem and the cruise lines are going to do the right thing; no matter how much revenue is involved. They are in business to keep customers, not ignore them. If you book direct with RCCL, they might even consider you first when upgrades become available. I'm assuming they want to direct book more and more.

Another argument you get from TA's is that some people just don't want to waste their valuable time doing all the research. My answer to that is that I enjoy that part of it. It's kind of like "panning for gold" - see what great deals you can find. Besides, like I said, I like to be in control of my vacation. I don't want to wonder if I got some TA whose only personal travel experience is getting to work. I don't want to have some TA get to know me and my family as intimately as I do in order to determine their tastes.

Travel is now "self-service" - we can do it all ourselves. As I've always said, TA's are like carbon paper, bank tellers, income tax preparers and personal letters - all outdated and no longer needed.

Peter

Everytime I've ever used a TA, I've gotten a better deal (same w/my upcoming cruise...still $100 less/pp that what was listed on RCCL) and, I've always received some type of nice perk (Choc. covered strawberries in our room, bottle of bubbly, etc.). This time, we are using a TA specific for cruises that Clark Howard (financial guru...WSB-Atlanta based...think he's on radio nationwide) recommended. My TA has called several times to make sure our planning is going smooth, if we have questions, etc. Always calls before she mails s/t to make sure I know it's on its way, etc. I doubt if RCCL would have someone who would be so helpful like that. Just my 2-cents though...I know people use RCCL and e/t goes fine.

I booked a group for a short 4 day western caribbean back in May 2005 for a sailing on April 24 2006. A week or so later I called the cruiseline to add another couple to the group. The res agent said she couldn't do it because that particular cruise had been cancelled just that day due to going into drydock. No one had been notified yet. After quite a while on the phone with my cruiseline rep I was able to transfer the group to the sailing on April 17 but keep the original price which was over $150.00 per person cheaper and they provided me shipboard credits for these clients for the inconvenience. The cruiseline did not have to do this as they were well within there time frame of being able to cancel these people with nothing more than an apology. They did this because we are a high producing agency with 84 offices. Since this I have had a couple people come in who originally booked direct with the cruiseline and were cancelled who are now looking for a different cruise and cruiseline.

Alicia

The biggest reason is advocacy in case something goes wrong.

I had booked my 1st 2 cruises through a TA who then retired. I booked my 3rd cruise directly through RCI. Well, major problems turned up with my booking, such as them not booking me any airplane tickets with less than a week to go to the cruise. I spent several hours over several days on hold being transferred trying to get the problems sorted out. Since there were multiple problems, I had to be transferred to multiple departments. By the time I got on the cruise, I was so stressed out just from all the problems with the booking because they weren't sorted out until the night before the cruise.

If I had booked through a TA, they would've been the one making the phone calls and holding and having to keep reexplaining the problem. Not me.

For my next cruise I booked through a TA. I've made several significant changes to the booking already, including one today, and all I've had to do is make one short phone call each time. Every time I called RCI directly with my previous cruise, even before the problems started, I had to sit on hold and then explain the situation to somebody who didn't know me, and then wait on hold again while they took care of me.

A good TA will go to bat for you if there is a problem. Notice I said good TA, because having a not so good TA is no better than doing it yourself, and in some cases can be worse.

My experience with my travel agency has always been a positive one. On a cruise to Disney World, the agent that originally handled our travel had left that agency and our arrangements were mistakenly not assigned to a new agent. We called to confirm our flights a day before the trip, and found out our flights were earlier than originally scheduled. Upon calling the travel agency, this change had been noted a few months earlier, but we were never contacted because of the change (or lack thereof) in the agent handling our travel. We spoke to the manager and explained that after this trip they could forget future business (which came as a shock to them, as we have used them numerous times before). Well, during our vacation, we received a huge gift basket with cookies, fruits, and all sorts of goodies along with a card apologizing up and down for the mistake. Needless to say, the way to my heart is through my stomach and the agency was forgiven.

I used the same agency (new agent) in booking my upcoming Radiance cruise in November. I like the peace of mind knowing that if I need to, I have an actual person I can meet with to discuss my travel arrangements (and that I don't have to call someone I don't know and have never met). This turned out for the best as our agent forgot to forward our down payment to Royal Caribbean, and Royal Caribbean auto-cancelled our reservation. By the time the agent was able to rebook the cruise, the only staterooms left were Oceanviews and Suites (we were originally in an interior). So, we have a free upgrade to Oceanview, compliments of my travel agent.

Being a travel consultant what people don't understand is that the free wine, ship board credit, etc. all comes out of the pocket of the Agent/Consultant. Also any discounts offered to clients are also out of the pocket of the agent, not their company's pocket, their own. If the commission paid by the cruise lines is not at the high end of the scale (15%) of the basic fare, which is commonly split 50/50 with the office then what is left is the agents (less taxes of course). For all the information, doccument delivery and everything else that is done on your behalf, what is left is not much. If you get no service from that agency, then find someone who will take care of you.

Having been in the travel industry for 25 yrs I can give this bit of info:

As one poster said there is a MAJOR difference between using a TA and using a GOOD TA. With the advent of the internet, most of the large online agencies employ inexperienced TA's-- these are people that work from home, earn no salary (other than the commission from their sales) and are basically order takers as the more they book the more they make via commissions. Some have never traveled or even taken a cruise. You will most likely come across the same inexperienced agents if you book directly with the cruise lines as they employ on the same premise. I run into this on a daily basis in my dealing with the various lines. RCI has a res office in Kansas.. CCL in Colorado Springs etc and these agents haven't even seen the ships and thus have no personal experience.

Finding a GOOD TA is harder now since the airlines have stopped paying commissions a lot of brick and mortar agencies were forced to close.

A GOOD TA will regularity do ship inspections, participate in CLIA and cruise line sponsored training both on and off ship. They know which cabins are better than others in the same category and can give you valuable advice in making the most out of your hard earned vacation. Some agencies receive special pricing on a few sailings ships if the cruise line is needing help selling a particular date/ship or cruise. Our agency receives exclusive offers at various times of the year with discounted prices, added amenities etc. Additionally I personally make a cruise packet for each of my clients that gives specific information and details about their ship and itinerary which not only serves as an information piece but can also be used as a souviner for their scrapbook etc. I as any GOOD TA would do, regularly check for price decreases, apply C&A coupons to qualified bookings etc. and will also request complimentary upgrades directly with the help of my cruise line sales reps. I give my clients my home and cell phone numbers and am available for them whenever they need to reach me. I will also go to bad with the lines should there be any problems before,during or after a sailing.

There are numerous benefits of using a TA, but just like anything you need to do your research and find a GOOD one.. ask questions and find out which TA's have practical experience and which ones are just order takers.

This turned out for the best as our agent forgot to forward our down payment to Royal Caribbean, and Royal Caribbean auto-cancelled our reservation. By the time the agent was able to rebook the cruise, the only staterooms left were Oceanviews and Suites (we were originally in an interior). So, we have a free upgrade to Oceanview, compliments of my travel agent.

Although it turned out to be a positive for you, I wouldn't say that your experience would be a positive spin for TAs. Had there been no cabins available, you would have been SOL thanks to your TA.

I don't book my air or hotel though RCI so just booking the cruise is simple and straightforward directly online, thus I've simply never had the need for a TA. Nothing for a TA to "go to bat" for. I don't need wine or gift baskets as I get fed plenty on the cruise.

I book my own air and hotel just as easily as the cruise. No fuss no muss. Honestly have never had an issue that needed to be resolved. RCI has always done well for me booking directly.

And the only one that can be blamed for a missed payment is ME.

Here's my guess (not a fact): 95% of all cruise bookings have no change from inseption to cruise. You decide on the date, ship, itinerary and cabin type - book directly with RCCL and pack your bags when the time comes.

Peter

But when you're in that 5%, a GOOD Travel Agent is worth their weight in gold :)

I'm very fortunate to have an excellent travel agent who is very knowledgable about the industry, has been on numerous cruises and has taken the time to get to know us (his agency can usually get me $50 or so off of bookings too!). I use my TA to book cruises only and depending on what air or package deals are going on, generally take care of air and hotel on my own. I also regularly check the rates and give my TA a call should they change. Most of the time this means a nice chat a few times a year, and it's always nice to hear the "inside track" on what is going on in the cruise industry. While this is all well and good, it's when things go wrong that a travel agent is your best ally.

Example -- The one time we did book a flight and hotel with RCL, we had a blizzard in NJ and we needed to get to San Juan. My TA and I teamed up for the numerous hours on hold with the airline, hotel and cruise line (and I can assure you that it would NOT have been fun doing it alone). I helped only because we both knew speed was of the essence to get flights and arrangements rescheduled (and approved by RCI) before everyone else. Having someone who really knew the ins and outs of dealing with various carriers, RCL, and who also knew the San Juan area was a huge relief and allowed us to get our vacation off to a great start despite the weather snags. He also helped us navigate the insurance claim that we filed due to losing our pre-cruise hotel stay.

I know that the choice to use a travel agent is very individualized. However, it's not always about the dollars saved or the perks you get. It's about service when you become one of those "5%" who has things go wrong. Considering that there is no $$ premium to using one, it does not hurt to consider getting references for a good agent and engaging them on your next cruise.

Cheers,

Esther

When I book online, I'm not talking about using a web based travel firm, I book directly on RCI's website. It's user friendly, I can book excursions, select dining arrangements, cabin, to online check-in, make payments on my reservation, everything. I've never had a problem and I can always access my information to make changes whenever I want. I always receive my docs at least 30 days out. I've simply never needed the services of a TA.

With many customers, such as yourself, booking directly with the cruiselines, would you say that travel agents are a dying breed?

:confused: I am confused with the comments that RCI are not allowing any discounted rates on their cruises other than what they themselves offer. We have just returned from a 14 day Med cruise on the LOS from Southampton UK. We booked late thru an online agency and were given an ocean view room on deck 3 at a price that should have reflected deck 2 according to all the other online sites and was much less than RCI. We were very happy and have decided to return on another cruise next year. We were encouraged to book onboard to gain an onboard credit and our tips included..however the price quoted was £360 ( $650).. each.. more than what we'd paid. In other words, if we paid our normal fare, all our tips and added the allowance they gave onboard, it would still be a lot less than the price they quoted. On arrival home..I checked the RCI website and found the price quoted for the same trip to be much lower. In fact, if you deducted the allowances offered onboard you came up with their price. 2 different prices from the same company. So nothing was a bonus, you were paying over the odds for everything...looking at the online agencies, they are showing prices very :confused: similiar to last years, hundreds of pounds cheaper. I had excellent service from my rep... she was very knowledgible, very efficient, and very pleasant.

We're going out next month on the Radiance to Hawaii, we booked through a TA, the same TA who has booked our last 29 cruises. Cruises is all she does and most of them on RCCL. Did I get an up front discount? NO. Did I get one heck of an upgrade, YES. Did I get non stop air fare at NC, Yes. I'm sure we will have wine 4 or 5 nights to show up at the table and there will be a limo to pick us up. I didn't have to argue or hold for long periods of time while dealing directly with RCCL. I called our TA gave the dates and told her to work her magic. Next thing I knew I had a letter and CC receipt and one heck of a nice cruise, all done and ready to go. My total time involved about 5 minutes most of which was to say howdy and exchange pleasantries. We also had her book pre and post hotels and we have a 24/7 number should there be any problems. Now I'm not saying to use a TA, I wouldn't be affraid to book on line and maybe when I retire I will but for now why change a winner.

Bill

And you know what, I have no probem with this. Yes, I am a TA, but I have friends who can't book with me cause the can save so much by using the net. I book hotels and cars through the net sometimes. That being said, I am generalizing: not all net bookings go smoothly and a good TA give service that you get nowhere else. It's like selling your house by owner: my dd and her husband just did this: everything worked out wonderfully and they got a great price for the property, if things hadn't have gone smoothly they would have been calling anyone to ask questions. Saving money is what we are all after, I just am referring to those who do not have enough knowledge to know what to do if things go wrong. Also some people are busy enough that they would rather let an expert handle things. These are the ones who keep us in busingess. NMNita

But when you're in that 5%, a GOOD Travel Agent is worth their weight in gold :)

I'm very fortunate to have an excellent travel agent who is very knowledgable about the industry, has been on numerous cruises and has taken the time to get to know us (his agency can usually get me $50 or so off of bookings too!). I use my TA to book cruises only and depending on what air or package deals are going on, generally take care of air and hotel on my own. I also regularly check the rates and give my TA a call should they change. Most of the time this means a nice chat a few times a year, and it's always nice to hear the "inside track" on what is going on in the cruise industry. While this is all well and good, it's when things go wrong that a travel agent is your best ally.

Example -- The one time we did book a flight and hotel with RCL, we had a blizzard in NJ and we needed to get to San Juan. My TA and I teamed up for the numerous hours on hold with the airline, hotel and cruise line (and I can assure you that it would NOT have been fun doing it alone). I helped only because we both knew speed was of the essence to get flights and arrangements rescheduled (and approved by RCI) before everyone else. Having someone who really knew the ins and outs of dealing with various carriers, RCL, and who also knew the San Juan area was a huge relief and allowed us to get our vacation off to a great start despite the weather snags. He also helped us navigate the insurance claim that we filed due to losing our pre-cruise hotel stay.

I know that the choice to use a travel agent is very individualized. However, it's not always about the dollars saved or the perks you get. It's about service when you become one of those "5%" who has things go wrong. Considering that there is no $$ premium to using one, it does not hurt to consider getting references for a good agent and engaging them on your next cruise.

Cheers,

Esther

How very true; I would say 90% of the time a person can book anyway they want and there will be no problems: but that 10% is like saying: don't bother with insurence: of course 90% or more of the time we travel insurence is a waste, but just let something go wrong once without insurence, many will reconsider: laughlingoutloud: of course without adjustments TA are a dying breed. With technology many things are dieing. Some of this is good, some not so good. As for our industry; we still have those with special needs who will depend on us, those who have busy lives and dont' have time to spend checking the net constantly, those who are not experienced and welcome our experties and last but not least seniors who do not have computers (others as well). Eventually there will be no agents, but it is several years away in my estimation. NMNita

I'm with Fritz265, I like to be in control of my vacation. Fifteen years ago you had no choice but to use a Travel Agency to book airfare, hotes, cars and cruises.

Fifteen years ago you were able to pick up a phone (remember those) and call an airline, hotel chain, car rental chain and cruise line directly. I even did it 20 and 25 years ago. If I knew about travel agents back then, I would have let them do all the calling for me and used my time elsewhere.

I've used a TA for all 6 of my cruises. WHY? I keep the anxiety level lower. Especially for my hubby. Our TA gives him piece of mind. (A relief for me:rolleyes: ) I putz around on the net I let my TA know what I find. She has always met/and/or beat the price every time. I have her handle our flights- which have been great. And I got a heck of a deal on a very nice hotel before we cruise. They have been nice with a nice place to eat near by. WE have always gotten a nice gift while on the cruise. One time we had a poor crusie experience. I let her know and we got a nice letter of apology from the line plus upgrades for our next cruise. Guess that's why I have always chosen a TA. Of course I have a great one!

Archived