Why pull out of Uk sailings

sweby

Anyone got any ideas on this? The cruises out of the UK always seemed to sell out without major price cuts. Maybe in 2016 Thomson could do new cruises to France and Spain from the UK and alternate with the favourites to Baltics, Iceland and Norway.

Also I am still waiting for them to get a ship in the far east, sailing out of Singapore or Thailand. I am sure I'm not the only one.

Sweby

I understood it was due to their ships not meeting new regulations on engine emissions and/or port docking charges becoming more expensive.

I believe this is the case too. Here is an extract from an article which highlights the economic impact (and pointing out the adverse impact on the industry and knock-on side effects - written from the industry point of view, but I think their case is lost - it's happening):

• The economic impact will be massive – increasing the cost of bunker fuel by, potentially, 87% for ships operating in Emission Control Areas (ECAs). This will mean, from 2015, up to £3.6bn additional annual cost for shipping within 200 miles of the UK.
  • The energy required to refine the fuel that shipping will use in the European ECAs alone will add 12 million tons of CO2 to the atmosphere every year.
  • This will include reduced shipping activity in ECAs, affecting ports and road infrastructure, and causing job losses. A recent UK study concluded that as many as 2000 jobs will be lost.
  • The cruise industry will lose tourism and port revenues. The ferry industry will see closure of longer routes and price increases, which will encourage a shift of passengers, who will not want to travel long distance to the shorter ferry crossings, to less environmentally air travel. Both will lose investment and jobs.

When we had the Q&A with Fraser, I asked the question about how this might affect Thomson's operation from the UK as I'd just heard an item on our local news about the devastating effect it is likely to make on P&O's ferry services along the South Coast.

Fraser replied on the lines of he could see why it would have a huge impact on P&O ferries but didn't see it affecting Thomson. Now I can only square that answer with 'P&O ferries are stuck in that region for their ferrries across the Channel - we can move out of the UK'. Otherwise it would seriously affect them in terms of swingeing additional fuel levies too making routes to Scandinavia, Baltics and round the UK less profitable if not no longer commercially viable.

Thomson are affected more than other cruise lines because of the age of their ships (less efficient engines, dependency on fuel with higher pollution issues?). The big question is when regulations tighten further from 2020, I believe it is, what are they going to do then? New ships? We wish! ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

Found the link. It was Kalos who asked the question but quoted another post of mine - about Brittany Ferries not P&O although their routes will be badly affected too.

I think in hindsight, Fraser said it all. Cruise ships can move around!! I.e. move away from the UK! I can't see Thomson back with ex-UK any time soon. :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1738979

Thanks for explain that, now I understand the logic behind the decision to move out of the UK. I hope they look to get new ships in future. I think this is the way forward for them. After all, they have invested in new hotels. As more and more people look to other cruise lines, I think they need to take the plunge and invest in new, or they will be squeezed out altogether.

Sweby

Thanks for explain that, now I understand the logic behind the decision to move out of the UK. I hope they look to get new ships in future. I think this is the way forward for them. After all, they have invested in new hotels. As more and more people look to other cruise lines, I think they need to take the plunge and invest in new, or they will be squeezed out altogether.

Sweby

I agree.

I agree with Joe and Michelle.

Some of Fred's ships are older than Thomson :eek: but they own their ships. It is the same difference as renting or buying your house.

All comes back to the investment Thomson are prepared to make in the UK market. Sadly, it seems not a lot, certainly as compared with their competitors! :rolleyes: It may all come home to roost in 2020! :eek:

Of course all this could have a rather favourable outcome in that we may get to Thailand :rolleyes: I doubt their pollution laws will be as strict.

I think I'm as upset as anyone over the lack of northern port cruises. I do however agree with trying to control the emissions especially with the number of cruise ships now.

All comes back to the investment Thomson are prepared to make in the UK market. Sadly, it seems not a lot, certainly as compared with their competitors! :rolleyes: It may all come home to roost in 2020! :eek:

we will all be cruising on virgin galactic by the time thoms upgrade their fleet::rolleyes::D

I agree with Joe and Michelle.

Some of Fred's ships are older than Thomson :eek: but they own their ships. It is the same difference as renting or buying your house.

And Fred aren't pulling out of UK sailings next year - I've just been looking at their brochure for ideas.

Thomson did miss a year or two of UK sailings a few years ago but soon came back.

And Fred aren't pulling out of UK sailings next year - I've just been looking at their brochure for ideas.

Thomson did miss a year or two of UK sailings a few years ago but soon came back.

Better profit margins or prepared to pay the extra tax do you think?