charter on KD ship called Sonata

BAYA

I am searching in vain for info about the KD ship called Sonata, supposedly built in 2010. I read on wikipedia that Viking bought the "multi-night portion" of KD's cruise business in 2000. A local travel agency is advertising two charter cruises on the KD Sonata and I am amazed that I cannot turn up a single review in my web searches. So, fellow CC members, please help!

The itinerary I am interested in is a 7-night Nuremberg-to-Budapest. I have never done a river cruise before. I want to know about the cabins, food, service, and anything else a fellow CC-er will share about your experience on a KD multi-night cruise.

Many thanks!

Just went to the website that is completely in German. Make sure you won't be the only English Speaking passengers unless of course you have that goal. Is your TA US based? I would definitely make sure you know the "make up" of passengers booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "Sonata" is currently running under the name of "TUI Sonata". Owner is the Premicon AG which also owns KD (Koeln-Duesseldorfer). KD so far did only operate as cruise ship management company which is suppling the navigation crew or the hotel crew. By the end of 2014 TUI Flussgenuss (which is the name of the river cruise branch of TUI) will cease operation and all ships are back with the owner Premicon.

As for KD - they do have a long history. The company started out in 1853. They are still operating excursion boats on the Rhine river including the former sidewheel steamboat Goethe. In 1960 they were the first starting overnight cruises on the German rivers (and all rivers in Europe). By 1995 the river cruise segment was purchased by Viking. The contract did say that KD is not allowed to have their own river cruise segment anymore. There was a long law suit about this which ended this or last year. KD did win.

steamboats