Very specific gluten-free dining questions about Silhouette

PAGA

Wallie

Another question.

Does she have to take those BEFORE she eats or do they help after she realizes she ate something bad?

attachment.php?attachmentid=326647&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1412208387

Always before, once the stomach is attacked, it has to run it's course. She has been sick for up to 2 days, so we are very very careful. One of the reason's we only cruised 2 times from 2000-2011.

We did a Galley tour on the FOTS in 2011. There were 240 special diet pax on the cruise. One chef with a full staff assigned to over see the making of their meals in a dedicated area of the kitchen. They were wonderful to her and the others. Celebrity was even better last year.

Wallie

Do these really help?

We have 2 grandchildren who have been diagnosed with Celiac and , while they are pretty much able to stay away from gluten, cross-contamination gets them sick form time to time when restaurant servers aren't careful enough.

If they could just take one of those before eating out it might save a lot of pain in the future.

I'll forward your picture of the medications to my daughter.

I didnt "quote" both post if I didnt give you enought info above, let me know.

FYI! We ran a Half Marathon yesterday, there was a BJ's Brewhouse there. They have a very extensive GF menu, so she took a pill and we gave it a shot after we finished. She had the GF pizza, said it was almost as good as the crust on Celebrity! I see a lot of time being spent there in our future!

Edited by wallie5446

Does anyone know if they offer GF bagels? And, if we use the MDR for breakfast, should I inform the Maitre D again about my Celiac's or should I just tell the waiter at the table?

When we have breakfast in the MDR if one of our regular servers dont see us, we let the waiter know. We have not seen GF bagels.

Always before, once the stomach is attacked, it has to run it's course. She has been sick for up to 2 days, so we are very very careful. One of the reason's we only cruised 2 times from 2000-2011.

We did a Galley tour on the FOTS in 2011. There were 240 special diet pax on the cruise. One chef with a full staff assigned to over see the making of their meals in a dedicated area of the kitchen. They were wonderful to her and the others. Celebrity was even better last year.

Thanks!

We're taking all of the kids and grandkids (currently 15 people and 5 cabins! :eek: ) on a family cruise next year and have decided on Disney, mostly because my daughter (mother of the Celiac grandkids) did some research and Disney has an entire separate kitchen for gluten free. The kids have gotten sick from even mild cross-contamination and I didn't think it would be much of a vacation with 2 sick kids trapped on a cruise ship for a weeek.

Thanks!

We're taking all of the kids and grandkids (currently 15 people and 5 cabins! :eek: ) on a family cruise next year and have decided on Disney, mostly because my daughter (mother of the Celiac grandkids) did some research and Disney has an entire separate kitchen for gluten free. The kids have gotten sick from even mild cross-contamination and I didn't think it would be much of a vacation with 2 sick kids trapped on a cruise ship for a weeek.

Hope it is a wonderful sailing for everyone! Please keep this thread bookmarked and come back and let us know how it went. Not that we will sail Disney, but with 3 Grand Kids of our own, you never know!

EW

Hope it is a wonderful sailing for everyone! Please keep this thread bookmarked and come back and let us know how it went. Not that we will sail Disney, but with 3 Grand Kids of our own, you never know!

EW

I'll try to remember but we're not sailing until New Years 2015/2016! :D

• 3 months later...
Heads-up that, as promised, I just posted my review of our GF experience on the 12/28/14 Silhouette sailing. It was a very good experience. Hopefully this link will take you there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45182760#post45182760

Thanks for the thorough review.

Unfortunately those "pluck it off the plate" incidents, if not caught, would have left my grandchildren VERY ill.

We recently took a last minute cruise on the Royal Princess and were told that they have a separate area in the kitchen, with separate pots, pans and prep dishes (where the servers are required to wear gloves) for gluten free.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I board the Silhouette Sunday and am anxious to see if I have a more positive experience than I had when on the Infinity last March for 28 days. Celebrity thickens there soups with rice flour so if ingredients otherwise ok, than so is the soup. As for french fries at the burger bar, the fries are coated, not battered and I have had no ill effects. Ore Ida crispy fries are coated with starches other than wheat so I go with that.

It seems that most waiters think they can just remove something from the plate since the waiter in Blu shared that he just removed the crust from the cheesecake. That said, my dining experiences were better in Blu than the main dining room. They didn't even try to make my entrees appetizing. There seems to be a real need for training of the wait staff.

We cruise frequently and I have managed to eat safely at the buffet although it can be rather boring, especially at breakfast. My biggest complaint is with the replacement items. My experiences with the pizza crust, cookies, waffles, scones at tea, is that they are made with pure rice flour and do not result in a pleasant dining experience. I will try the pizza or waffles to see if they are any better. While other lines carry prepared replacement items, Celebrity prefers to make their own while having no knowledge of gluten free baking. My foccacia is much lighter than that served in the Tuscan Grill, not because I am a great baker but because I use recipes designed for gf baking. I also hope they have changed the brand of their bread. They have done a good job of altering some items on the dinner menu but fall far short in other areas.

I was able to enjoy gluten free beer, Estrella Daura, in Michael's Club and do hope they still have it available onboard.

I was on the Silhouette last January and my experience with the Grill was very good, I did avoid the pizza because of the crust they were using. I have enjoyed all of the specialty restaurants at one time or another, some are better than others. Bistro is always a favorite when I want a quiet, relaxed lunch.

I have never used Gluten Ease but my dh is picking up some today. I also carry the individual packs of soy sauce and may carry few cookies. I am looking forward to warmer temperatures.

Heads-up that, as promised, I just posted my review of our GF experience on the 12/28/14 Silhouette sailing. It was a very good experience. Hopefully this link will take you there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45182760#post45182760

Thanks for the thorough review.

Unfortunately those "pluck it off the plate" incidents, if not caught, would have left my grandchildren VERY ill.

We recently took a last minute cruise on the Royal Princess and were told that they have a separate area in the kitchen, with separate pots, pans and prep dishes (where the servers are required to wear gloves) for gluten free.

Just saw this thread 'pop' :) back up. I have not read the review yet, but we did have a situation on our Equinox cruise in Nov. We had such a wonderful dinner in Tuscan, we went back on the next to last evening. The server we had the first time was full and our friends did not want to wait, we should have. :( They cross cominatied Dana's dinner. She spent the entire last day in the cabin, to sick to leave.

Karen the good news is, this was the only time the entire 11 days she had a problem. It was so good we rebooked the Equinox for the 10 day this Nov over Thanksgiving.

EW

ps: she had the GF pizza in the buffet 5 or 6 times. The cook there was the most helpful of any!

Edited by wallie5446

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I board the Silhouette Sunday and am anxious to see if I have a more positive experience than I had when on the Infinity last March for 28 days. Celebrity thickens there soups with rice flour so if ingredients otherwise ok, than so is the soup.

I'm celiac and I'm boarding Silhouette on Sunday, January 11th too. My first time cruising with a gluten-free diet....

Glad to read the most recent review! I've definitely been a bit anxious about what I might encounter on the ship.