SAN JUAN AIRPORT to PORT

kcagg16

My family and I are travelling on the Adventure of the Seas next year. We are trying to figure out our flights but need to know how long it takes to get to and from the port. This is particularly important for our return flight because we want to book a limo back to the airport. I would like to book a noon flight but need to make sure I will get there in time. I assume there is only one major airport in San Juan. We are also staying in Rio Grande a few nights before at a Westin Hotel.

Any advice anyone?

Thank you for the reply. Great now I know I can book a noontime flight. Do you know if taxis are there waiting or do I have to book that in advance? I have heard horror stories of the RCLL transfers so I want to arrange my own.

Again thanks

truffles2 that was our experience as well this past February. To kcagg16, do not fly out on Sunday! The San Juan airport is packed and there are more people than seats. Stay the night and fly out on a less crowded Monday. I will never, ever fly out of San Juan on a Sunday again. There were four cruise ships in port sold out with what seemed like everyone flying out on Sunday. It was, in one word....crazy.

Right now we have RCCL transfers in SJ - would it just be easier to taxi? I have not used the RCCL transfers before, we just used taxi in Tampa. Is it an actual bus and roughly how long will we need to wait. Flight gets in around noon.

Thanks

Agree with other post re: SJ airport. While it's only 20 minutes from the port, it took us over 90 minutes to check in for our Sunday afternoon flight, and we had priority check-in. Never saw such a mess in my life. If you have an early flight booked, hope it's first class so you can get first class check in.

We spent 3 nights at the Westin Rio Mar before we cruised on the Constellation last year. It's a very nice hotel - widely recommend it over the places on Condado Beach. If you play golf, take your clubs, the courses were in great condition. Also, the pool area at the Rio Mar is very nice. We did the hotel's El Yunque excursion one day it was nice and a cool break to the hot Puerto Rican sun.

Agree with other posts re: SJ airport. It's a mess. Cruised Constellation out of SJ last spring. It took us 90 minutes to check in for our Sunday afternoon flight last year, and we had priority check-in. We are booked on the Serenade next spring, and I'm already dreading the return to the airport.

Unless you are flying first class or have airline status, I'd be really careful about early afternoon flights out of San Juan. Be prepared for a long check in process.

We had no problem with the transfers from the airport to the pier and back. X and RCI use the same service. Only snag in the transfers was that they transported all the luggage to the airport in separate trucks, and you had to claim yours in the middle of this mob scene outside the SJ departure area.

We spent 3 days at the Westin Rio Mar before we cruised. It is a very nice hotel and much better than the places on Condado Beach. Fod is a bit pricey, but that's the only negative I can think of. If you play golf or tennis, the facitilies are very nice. Pool area is also very nice. We took the hotel's excursion to El Yunque one day, and it was pleasant and a cool break to the hot Puerto Rico sun.

We came off Adventure on Sunday (Aug 14th). We sat in the lounge awaiting the call which came at 8:15am for groups 1 & 2. Off the ship, pick up baggage, clear customs, find taxi, drive to airport, check-in with American, get through security, walk to gate. Arrive at gate at 9:10am. Phew! Less than an hour. I would never plan that. It won't happen again. Our last port of call was St. Thomas where we cleared Immigration. We are told that the other itinerary is different and that passengers have to clear Immigration in San Juan. Add what you like for that.

but I took a $200.00 kick in the you know what in order to change my airfare to a 3:09 pm flight. Was booked thru RCL custom air (hence the non-refundable charges) and was really really early - 10:45. EVERYONE said "don't do it" as you may make it and may not and even if you do you will be so stressed that it will be a terrible way to end a really nice vacation. Lesson learned. At least we fly out on Saturday (Serenade sails Sat to Sat) so I guess it's better than Sun?

P.S. We will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise at El Convento in old san juan...check it out www.elconvento.com Really neat hotel.

Doug - glad you got through fast, but there are fewer ships cruising out of SJ in the summertime than you will find during the cold weather months. Don't know that everyone should expect to get to their gate in one hour.

We're cruising on Serenade in April 06 and are planning to spend the night after the cruise at a San Juan resort and take the first flight out Sunday morning before the cruise passengers hit the airport.

but I took a $200.00 kick in the you know what in order to change my airfare to a 3:09 pm flight. Was booked thru RCL custom air (hence the non-refundable charges) and was really really early - 10:45. EVERYONE said "don't do it" as you may make it and may not and even if you do you will be so stressed that it will be a terrible way to end a really nice vacation. Lesson learned. At least we fly out on Saturday (Serenade sails Sat to Sat) so I guess it's better than Sun?

P.S. We will be staying 2 nights pre-cruise at El Convento in old san juan...check it out www.elconvento.com Really neat hotel.

We booked through RCCL custom air as well and they put us on a 10:20am out of SJU on the return (the 11/27/05 sailing of the AOS) - I questioned how early it was, the RCCL agent assured me that the earliest they could book was 10am and it would be fine. We're going to try it. I think part of that reasoning is that our last stop is St Thomas so we'll clear customs & immigration the day before so that step will be done. We shall see......I've had later flights out of there before and been to the airport by 8:45 and sat for 6 hours.

we have returned from SJU in May, October, March and April...have always been at the airport by 9:00 at the latest and SAT...remember that the ship will allow you to debark according to your flight time SO, if you book on your own (as we always do) go to the pursers' desk and ask for different colored baggage tags so that you leave the ship earlier! Has never been a problem.

Have a great cruise...we'll be back in SJU the end of October! :D

We're cruising on Serenade in April 06 and are planning to spend the night after the cruise at a San Juan resort and take the first flight out Sunday morning before the cruise passengers hit the airport.

We are doing the same thing. We didn't want to risk missing our flight. Plus it extends our vacation one more day.

We are doing the same thing. We didn't want to risk missing our flight. Plus it extends our vacation one more day.

Wrona, nothing like another day in the Caribbean sun vs sitting at the airport!

Have a great time on the Serenade - we're really looking forward to it!

Archived