Zuiderdam 27 night (Vancouver - Ft. Lauderdale)

2004corvette

unfamiliar with HAL so i will ask here on the CC HAL forum.

have dear friends on this 27 night sailing which departed Vancouver on September 20th.....due to becoming ill they decided it best to not continue the sailing ~ yesterday they disembarked the ship in San Francisco ~ and are now making plans to return home via air...:(

thankfully they always purchase cruise/trip insurance !!!

in reading through various HAL threads i see that on recent sailings the ship had been operating under "Code Orange" conditions.

On HAL ships is the "Code Orange" condition ordered as a precaution to prevent the Noro Virus OR is it put in place to control the spread of the Noro Virus because Noro Virus has been detected on that particular sailing....?

Does anyone know if the Zuiderdam was operating under "Code Orange" for this September 20th (27 night) sailing....?

Any reports of others onboard becoming ill ~ quarantined....?

thanks in advance for any responses....

Scott

Edited by 2004corvette

Code Orange is the first 48 hours of all HAL cruises, with the intend that new arrivals on board don't bring on and spread Noro, or other bugs. It is intended to prevent spread during the likely contagious, but not aware you have it yet time period.

This policy is under review right now. Some ships appear to be testing new, less restrictive procedures for the first 48 hours.

So, if they got sick early in the cruise, I would think it more likely they were exposed on their travels to the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Currently on the cruise referenced.

Others have already answered but "Code Orange" is prevention. That being said, what has been experienced on this cruise thus far is more relaxed than I have had on previous cruises. The first 48 hours from Vancouver to Alaska were partially like "Code Orange" on previous cruises, but more hands on from customers. Salt & Pepper shakers not on tables and crew serving most dishes. Salads are available for people to prepare themselves and tongs are out for breads, etc, unlike full "Code Orange"

We have been under the same restrictions since leaving Vancouver on the 27th. We received 1600 passengers in Vancouver and 500 in San Francisco. Curiously the muster drill in San Francisco was just for the passengers embarking there.

Nothing has been said about increased incidence of Noro, or anything else.

I hope your friends have a safe trip home and get better soon.

thanks to all for the replies & info describing Code Orange

and Richwmn also thank you for your concerns and well wishes for them.....very thoughtful .....please let me know if others are/do become ill during this nearly month long sailing since we have other friends aboard who are not CC or social media savvy.

The Zuiderdam allowed guest to self serve themselves when we boarded the ship in Vancouver for the sailing down to SF on Sept 27th. One thing that was noticed is that every 20 minutes the utensil that were used by the guest were removed and new ones placed out. Each time they had a different color sticker on them.