Tech Tips for New Internet Plan-Please Help

cookmg40

After reading several different tips for the new internet plan, I thought it might be useful to compile a list of "steps" for those who are not so tech-savvy. I've read about turning off notifications, using airplane mode, logging in/out of wifi each time, etc.

Could those who have experience in this, supply some tips/steps to take for best way to reduce data usage? I think it would be very helpful. Thanks!

I am guessing you are talking about using a phone or tablet and not a computer.

Biggest and simplest is - TURN OFF WIFI when you are done.

On the older system, you could turn off wifi, but if you were still "logged" in, it kept charging per minute. With the new one, you only pay for actual data transmitted. Turn off wifi and no transmission.

And, to avoid CELL DATA, turn off data roaming.

And, if you do not want to get texts or phone calls, go to airplane mode, or turn the phone totally off.

I am guessing you are talking about using a phone or tablet and not a computer.

Biggest and simplest is - TURN OFF WIFI when you are done.

On the older system, you could turn off wifi, but if you were still "logged" in, it kept charging per minute. With the new one, you only pay for actual data transmitted. Turn off wifi and no transmission.

And, to avoid CELL DATA, turn off data roaming.

And, if you do not want to get texts or phone calls, go to airplane mode, or turn the phone totally off.

Thank you. I will use airplane mode and turn wifi on/off as I use it. I am afraid I will miss turning off some auto updates and notifications, so this will help avoid unwanted usage.

I plan to use the iconcierge app on my phone and the wifi data plan on my iPad. Although after about day 2, I will probably shut everything off! :)

Thanks again.

If you are talking about the new plan on the Breakaway. I purchased the 1000 MB for $50. As long as you avoid streaming media no need to work. I left my iPhone and iPad inline for 7 days and only managed to use 850 MB. You only pay for data sent or recieved not connect time. There is a meter you can track usage.

39924cb14d0ceb71ae563865333afd9e.jpg

Edited by time2cruise1

I am not a tech guy but these are some things i do For iphone

>go to seetings> notifiactions>

turn off all the notifications that are not important while your away. for example apps like lFacebook, Weather, games etc

I Get tons of emails for work daily most of which don't really need to be read and when i connect to the internet it takes forever to download them all and under the new plan it will use a lot of data. So before I leave I set up a brand new email account and give it to my boss and other key staff members and tell them if they need anything to send it to the new email account.

Then I turn off my work email on all my devices. This also saves me from combing thru all the emails I get to see whats urgent and whats not. So what used to take a long time everyday now takes less then 5 mins.

Edited by shaun07