Beds, beds, beds....

Does anyone know if the new Freedom of the Seas will have kingsize beds in any of the balcony cabins? Is it uncommon to have kingsize beds? I thought putting together two twins gave you a king, but in the info on the RCCL site, it says two twins together gives you a queen.:confused:

The twins on cruise ships seem a little bit narrower than a standard twin (IMO), so two twins together give you slightly bigger than normal queen, but not quite a king as you would get with two standard twins. We have a queen at home and I always feel like there is more room on our cruise beds!!

Us too! We have a queen at home and were expecting a queen size when the beds were pushed together but there was definately more room....certainly not as big as a king though:D

I have never heard of a king bed on a ship but perhaps in the Royal Suite- I wouldn't know since we will never be able to afford one:)

Cheers,

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would sail with RCCL. They have absolutely the WORST beds afloat. Small, lumpy and basically just not comfortable. Both HAL and Carnival have FULL size twins, that convert to FULL size King in every cabin. I only had to take 1 cruise on RCCL to know this was not the cruiseline for me. I found my cabin to be dirty and public areas also dirty. Food was almost unedible. I don't get it. How do they stay in business?

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would sail with RCCL. They have absolutely the WORST beds afloat. Small, lumpy and basically just not comfortable. Both HAL and Carnival have FULL size twins, that convert to FULL size King in every cabin. I only had to take 1 cruise on RCCL to know this was not the cruiseline for me. I found my cabin to be dirty and public areas also dirty. Food was almost unedible. I don't get it. How do they stay in business?

Well, helenp2, I've not yet cruised with HAL, but I could turn your post around and change the complaint to Carnival. I may as well been sleeping on my ironing board on their ship. While the food wasn't awful, it was no big deal, the service was so-so, the ship was ugly and it reeked of cigarettes. The only cruise I could not wait to get off of.

But, I've only sailed once on Carnival, on an older ship, so I try not to make absolute comparison based on that one ship, that one experience. Whenever I wonder why Carnival is so popular, I just have to remind myself that there are all types of people, what works for me doesn't for another.

Good point, age of ship can make a difference. To be fair, I sailed only once on Carnival and it was on a brand new ship. However, I have sailed over 30 times with HAL and while they have a few problems, I can honestly say that I have never, ever seen dirt in either my cabin or in public rooms. Beds are replaced on a regular basis and overall it is a far better experience and value than either RCCL or Celebrity.

The best mattress at sea for me was on Disney Wonder June 2005, but it was also very narrow. The bed on Maasdam last fall was a nice mattress a regular size twin. I've been on RCI five times and the beds were always adequate.

The worst bed at sea was on the Norweigan Sky in 2000. I hope when they did the refurb for NCL Am., they changed the beds completely.

Helen,

If you have decided that RCCL is not for you, I am curious why you are even bothering reading in this forum????????

While they are not "Heavenly Beds," we have never had an uncomfortable bed on all our RCCL cruises. We have a pillowtop King bed at home so we are used to comfort....we have been very comfortable on our cruises. Hope you will give RCCL another try....and oh, by the way, I am a stickler for clean and I have rarely seen dirt in our staterooms or the public areas. Deb

We were thinking of giving RCCL another try on a newer ship, so I thought I would look at this board. When I saw this post on beds it brought back bad memories of my experience with RCCL. My husband has never sailed on RCCL and he only heard my Sister's and I experience. We took a 6 day Coastal cruise for the ports (SFO,SD,etc) on the Granduer in a large Suite (one Cat below Royal). Needless to say we were less than impressed. On the first day that we boarded we went to the Lido for lunch. We actually saw food being spilled on the floor that stayed there for 3 days (no one seemed to care) they just walked on top of it. A few days later, also in the lido, we saw the same exact thing (food on the floor) but this time we saw 2 people go down after slipping. There was not 1 single space on this ship where you could go and just sit down and read a book. Forget the pool deck, overcrowded, hot and extremely loud. They didn't have a promanade deck? We are not rock climbers or disco people, just looking for a relaxing vacation, but unfortunately this was not it. Dollar for dollar I just think I get more value with HAL. But, my DH wants to try RCCL so that is why I am reading this board.

We were thinking of giving RCCL another try on a newer ship, so I thought I would look at this board. When I saw this post on beds it brought back bad memories of my experience with RCCL. My husband has never sailed on RCCL and he only heard my Sister's and I experience. We took a 6 day Coastal cruise for the ports (SFO,SD,etc) on the Granduer in a large Suite (one Cat below Royal). Needless to say we were less than impressed. On the first day that we boarded we went to the Lido for lunch. We actually saw food being spilled on the floor that stayed there for 3 days (no one seemed to care) they just walked on top of it. A few days later, also in the lido, we saw the same exact thing (food on the floor) but this time we saw 2 people go down after slipping. There was not 1 single space on this ship where you could go and just sit down and read a book. Forget the pool deck, overcrowded, hot and extremely loud. They didn't have a promanade deck? We are not rock climbers or disco people, just looking for a relaxing vacation, but unfortunately this was not it. Dollar for dollar I just think I get more value with HAL. But, my DH wants to try RCCL so that is why I am reading this board.

Most of RCI's ship will be more on the active side as opposed to the quiet, read a book crowd. You might want to look at Celebrity before doing RCI. They will be a bit more refined for you.

helenp2- I can tell you that on our cruise on RCI Navigator everything was spotless! Our room, the public areas, the buffet and restaurants. Someone was always cleaning, wherever you looked!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but it certainly seems to be an isolated incident- from what I have read on this board, RCI is often praised for the cleanliness and service of its ships and crew.

Perhaps your husband should try one of the newer ships with less wear and tear?

Just out of curiostiy, I checked the Inspection scores for HAL and RCI and neither has one below 92 (below an 85 is failure) and both lines average to 96.5 but only RCI has a ship with 100 (Mariner):D

Cheers,

We have sailed on 3 Royal Caribbean ships (Voyager, Radiance, and Majesty) and have found all 3 ships extremely clean and well maintained. I am VERY fussy and I could not find anything to complain about in the cleanliness area. I also have not had trouble with the queen bed. We have been in suites on all 3 cruises and the bed was larger than our queen at home and relatively comfortable. We have an expensive Select Comfort Sleep Number bed at home since my husband had back trouble (before we bought the new bed). No, it is true that the bed on the ship was not as comfy as our bed at home, but not uncomfortable either. The sleeper couch is another story. Although my son didn't complain (he was having too much fun), it felt very hard. While on Majesty we had a Grand Suite and requested a roll away instead of the couch. It was actually more comfortable. We have been on three different cruise lines and Royal Caribbean is our personal family favorite. I think the ships are beautiful, well maintained and offer the right mix of things to do for the whole family. We are planning our next cruise on Adventure next year and I can't wait. But, to each his own though. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

helenp2- I can tell you that on our cruise on RCI Navigator everything was spotless! Our room, the public areas, the buffet and restaurants. Someone was always cleaning, wherever you looked!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but it certainly seems to be an isolated incident- from what I have read on this board, RCI is often praised for the cleanliness and service of its ships and crew.

Perhaps your husband should try one of the newer ships with less wear and tear?

Just out of curiostiy, I checked the Inspection scores for HAL and RCI and neither has one below 92 (below an 85 is failure) and both lines average to 96.5 but only RCI has a ship with 100 (Mariner):D

Cheers,

Great info! Thanks.

What has this comment to do with the question of the OP? She was asking for the size of beds on Freedom and not if the beds are comfortable, or if other lines have better beds.

Excuse me but have you really been on the Grandeur???

Are you asking if the Grandeur has a Promenade deck? If you sailed her for 6 days you should definitely know. Yes she has a Promenade deck and you should have been on it at least once, as the muster drill is held there.

You couldn´t find a single spot to read a book, with an Owner Suite ???

Well the first spot would have been your suite you could find. Of course you might have looked for something else as you didn´t want to spend your time locked away in your cabin. The Grandeur (as any Vision class) has one of the nicest Library´s one can find. Beautiful large very quiet spot that even has a balcony. The Viking Crown lounge is very quiet and perfect for relaxing and quiet reading a book during the day too, great views included. The Solarium is mostly sort of quiet too. There is also plenty of open deck space with loungers away from the pool deck where a quiet place can be found.

Again my question have you been on this ship???

It´s OK if you like HAL or Carnival better and think they give the better value for your Dollars. Enjoy your cruises with them.

However I think with your just made up message board identity it smells like a troll to me.(JMHO)

Right. Are you nuts??? First of all,why would anyone post that they were on a cruise ship if they were not. And, yes I was on an open air deck for the lifeboat drill. Were there any loungers there for sitting? NO - You state their library is large, not hardly. Do they have a balcony? Yes, because it is sooo small they had to go up to give it an appearance of size. I stated we were in a large suite, ONE CAT BELOW the Royal. Can you read??? This ship was in dire need of drydock. It smelled, was dirty, and generally not up to most cruiseline standards. I'm sorry if you find my review or opinions offensive, but I will not sugarcoat it to make it sound like something if definitly was not.

I have taken approx 55 to 60 cruises, and this is the ONLY one that I could not wait for it to end.

Right. Are you nuts???

Obviously at least in your eyes!

First of all,why would anyone post that they were on a cruise ship if they were not.

I don´t know but I thought you could tell me.

And, yes I was on an open air deck for the lifeboat drill. Were there any loungers there for sitting? NO

Of course not, would be a little missplaced for muster drill, probably you should have been back later, on all my cruises, including Grandeur, there have been loungers on promenade deck.

- You state their library is large, not hardly. Do they have a balcony? Yes, because it is sooo small they had to go up to give it an appearance of size.

Probably we have a different view of size.

I stated we were in a large suite, ONE CAT BELOW the Royal. Can you read???

The Owner Suite is the Suite category one below the Royal Suite. Just like I said in my previous post, can you read ???

This ship was in dire need of drydock. It smelled, was dirty, and generally not up to most cruiseline standards. I'm sorry if you find my review or opinions offensive, but I will not sugarcoat it to make it sound like something if definitly was not.

Show me where I questioned this. I can´t as I wasn´t on the ship at the same time, I just questioned your statements about the ships layout that are definitely wrong and I can stand that. I don´t think your opinions offensive, as I stated earlier "It´s OK if you like HAL or Carnival better and think they give the better value for your Dollars. Enjoy your cruises with them."

I only commented on things that are simply not true. All in all I find posts like yours more amusing than offensive.:D

Seems like you mind my post as offensive, OK be it, I´m not sorry for it. It is like it is and we both have our opinion, and there is no need for us to be friends.:)

I have taken approx 55 to 60 cruises, and this is the ONLY one that I could not wait for it to end.

Congratulations, enjoy the next 60 on HAL and Carnival, don´t bother yourself with RCCL.

ok, all I really wanted to know if the twins on the RCCL ships put together make a king or are they smaller than a normal twin and they make a queen when put together. Sorry I got everyone so upset.:o

I´m sorry your thread turned into this one. I just sometimes can´t hold on when I read such a b******t.

Sorry again!:)

To each there own i guess, i myself have not cruised with HAL but have with both Carnival and RCCL. HAL being a premium line, its only common sense that their beds are going to be larger and a bit more comfy. Carnival on the other hand is just an average line as is RCCL. Carnival may have better beds in respect to RCCL, and also do many other things better than RCCL. But also falls short on others. Everyone has different tastes and expectations. Would much rather see these boards used for gaining knowledge and positive things vs. classless bashing.

ok, all I really wanted to know if the twins on the RCCL ships put together make a king or are they smaller than a normal twin and they make a queen when put together. Sorry I got everyone so upset.:o

Has anyone even answered your question? As far as I know it is a queen. :)

Archived