Children in Shows

TeresaN

I actually think a theatre setting on a cruise ship is the ideal place to take a small child to see how they can handle it. You get to "suck it and see" very easily as opposed to having to get into the city, pay $$$ for a seat and then face having to travel home, maybe 30 minutes after the show has started!.

There is an important consideration though.... the parents must be conscious to make sure that their child is not spoiling the show for those around them - and that goes for children of all ages. Nobody likes being sat in front of a 9year old who can't stop kicking the chair... Even small children can follow a "be quiet" instruction. I take my 3yr old to Mass every week and she knows to be quiet, and to be '"specially" quiet when there is kneeling or standing going on!

Take an aisle seat, so you can leave quickly and quietly if necessary. Who could possibly object to that.

I have to say that I have never been disturbed in a show by children. Only by adults that feel it's ok to chat all the way through or hold up their iPads to film/take photos. If you're travelling with a family friendly cruise line then you have to be happy to share spaces with children.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you have kids? If yes, did you get them out experiencing dif shows and public activities?

My 1.5 yr old now goes places with us and does enjoy shows. Yes, she doesn't sit perfectly still and enjoys people watching. She claps when others do and jumps up and down at soccer matches with the chanting and drumming.

She learns patience to sit and how to behave for longer periods of time.. Is it perfect? No, not always but she is getting better as she grows and learns.

As long as parents are respectful of others in big public settings and know when to fold em, know when to run, then it's all good :)

Like! A lot of times, we underestimate how quickly kids can learn. I know I was floored the first time my 2 year old sat and watched an entire movie. And if it doesn't work, leave!

I cruised with my family and 2 year old grandson. We were planning on my daughter and her husband going to the early show, and me going to the late show. The first night we were running late and we all went to the show. Too our amazement, my grandson sat totally amazed at all the singing, dancing, and lights. We got to do all the production shows and one headliner show together. (before this he wouldn't even sit for 15 minutes watching tv) We always sat in the first couple of rows of the balcony, so he also had a good view. Anything that has music, dancing and lights, or a lot of action, will be good.

Watching his expressions during the show, made it even more enjoyable.