It's going to be a full one. Emerald sailing 11/23

jeffdal

It's been interesting to watch the ship fill up, prices fluctuate, flash sales on other websites (also Princess web prices changes) and now the inner cabins, ocean view and suites are sold out. And the balcony prices have increased a great deal. There is only one mini-suite left. I got a great deal on a balcony (in fact I was surprised for Thanksgiving week) and thought I booked late (in August). There was so much available then but now it looks like a full ship.

Looking forward to a cozy, crowded cruise. I might need that drink package. ;)

Edited by jeffdal
addition

Most every cruise our family has ever sailed has sailed full.

It's never been an issue (full cruises) since the crowd is regulated, and not everyone is at the same place all at once.

Crowds at Disneyworld, Six Flags, and Universal, are another story. No, thank you.

(By the way, our family is on the same cruise.) We're looking forward to a wonderful time! Hope to meet up with everyone! :)

Enjoy your cruise. I love the Emerald, sailed on her twice-she's a beauty.

I'll just reiterate what others have said, Princess ships usually sail full. Case in point. I was watching my most recent cruise very carefully. 5 days before sailing it appeared that there were a large number of unsold cabins in all categories. I had a balcony that I had booked through a promotion (1st PAX full fare, 2nd PAX 1/2 off), and with the large number of suites, mini-suites, and deluxe balcony's that appeared available I was kind of hoping for an upgrade, or at least an upsell offer, but none was forthcoming. My best guess was there were a number of guarantee PAX, and all those "Empty" cabins were filled up by those that didn't get a cabin assignment until a couple of days out. 13 cruise with Princess and only one upgrade; from an interior on the Baja deck, to an interior on the Aloha deck. We have gotten 2 move over offers though (Declined both).

It has been my experience though my cruise history with Princess (4 Westbound T/A's; 2 Hawaii r/t from LA, and a Aus-Nz itinerary) that the ships always are full or nearly full (especially on the T/A's). I've never had a problem with the ships feeling crowded. Even on the Royal, which was my least favorite of my 7 cruises, I never felt crowded.....:):):)

Bob

It has been my experience though my cruise history with Princess (4 Westbound T/A's; 2 Hawaii r/t from LA, and a Aus-Nz itinerary) that the ships always are full or nearly full (especially on the T/A's). I've never had a problem with the ships feeling crowded. Even on the Royal, which was my least favorite of my 7 cruises, I never felt crowded.....:):):)

Bob

That's good to know. Being crowded and being in lines are not how I like to spend my hard earned money.

Princess ships almost always sail full. No surprise there.

There have been several reports of the short Carribbean Princess

cruises sailing from Ft Lauderdale recently being quite a bit less

than full.

I was surprised, as I don't think I have been on a ship that wasn't full

since the eighties...

• 1 month later...

Hi jeffdal; I saw in the EP roll call that you and your partner will be on the turkey-week cruise. You'll have a blast!

Being crowded and being in lines are not how I like to spend my hard earned money.

Don't worry too much about lines. My wife & I also dislike standing in lines, so on the cruises we've done we have almost never gone to the buffet. Instead we enjoy the traditional fixed-time seating in the main dining room. On sea days we always go to breakfast AND lunch in the main dining room, and although tables aren't reserved at that time, the wait to be seated has never been more than a moment or two.

Some folks complain that the service is a little slow in main dining rooms. It's true that you can't load up your plate(s), inhale your food without chewing, and be outta there in 10 minutes flat, but that's not why we dine out. We enjoy sitting and looking over the menu, ordering from our waiter, talking with each other, and having normal-sized portions brought to us.

Like most people, if confronted with an attractive buffet, I know I'll overeat. But in a traditional dining room I'd be too full of self-loathing to order double or triple entrees even if I wanted them. Even after our typically hyperactive sea days (starting with a pre-sunrise workout and stretch class), dining room portion sizes are perfect for us. And no standing around in line pushing a tray.

My DW & I have been on 25 Princess Cruises. We love the Emerald & only wish it stayed in FLL for the upcoming Caribbean season. Unfortunately the Royal has picked up the same 10 day itinerary we have grown to love. We have done the Emerald 3 straight years 1st on a 10 day then 1yr later B2B & 1year later again on a B2B2B. The ship is perfectly laid out & we never felt crowded. I would suggest late seating as you have the option of 1st show (not too crowded or last show not crowded at all.) It is our favorite ship. Plenty of deck chairs too unless you go out at 11:00 & expect to find good ones still avail.