Flights from Chicago

jenn6743

Today I barely advoided a nightmare!!! My husband and I live in Indianapolis and where flying out of Chicago next Saturday. Today I was looking at southwest website and noticed an advisory that flights where bing canceled up to oct 15th. Southwest never notified us! When I called they said they would refund our money or do flight changes. My husband called and it was $900 more on top of the $800 we already payed! I called back out of fristation and they discounted most of it and I ended up pay 100 for the change, but I can't help to wonder how many ppl have shown up or found out the day before!!! Flights where completely sold out in Indy so we are driving to Columbus OH. I just want to give ppl a heads up to check your flights!!!

Surprised they didnt notify you[/quote

Me to !!!! I woud have came unglued if I would have found out the day before or of... I just happen to randomly check SW. I seen the nightmare of showing up at the air port or getting an email the night before that our flight had been canceled and stuck in Chicago when the boat leaves :eek: NO THANKS!!!!

This was a huge news story. I'm surprised you didn't know about it.

But was your flight for next week actually already cancelled? I think you panicked. The advisory doesn't say that all flights going through Chicago were cancelled. Their webpage says these flights "may" be cancelled. And I am guessing if your flight was a week from now, it wasn't cancelled.

If your flight was actually cancelled, it wouldn't have cost you anything to rebook.

Edited by 6rugrats

They're not all cancelled on Southwest. I flew out of Midway Airport in Chicago on Wednesday with no problems.

When I spoke to southwest the flights were not being canceled but they told me about 20% of the flights where actually being about to take off...its on a case by case bases... and I don't like those odds.

When I spoke to southwest the flights were not being canceled but they told me about 20% of the flights where actually being about to take off...its on a case by case bases... and I don't like those odds.

I think those are great odds. Your original post is a bit over-the-top. This is nothing close to a "nightmare". Am guessing your original flight will go out as planned and not be cancelled. If you feel more comfortable changing your flight, you did what was best for you. You got a good deal, as Southwest was within their rights to charge you the new flight price.

I think those are great odds. Your original post is a bit over-the-top. This is nothing close to a "nightmare". Am guessing your original flight will go out as planned and not be cancelled. If you feel more comfortable changing your flight, you did what was best for you. You got a good deal, as Southwest was within their rights to charge you the new flight price.

Over the top? Well if you were told that you only had a 20% chance of getting on a plane to go on a cruise... You my friend would be a little up set to!!!!

No, I wouldn't have been upset over this; you had over a week before your flight. I am not sure how anyone could accurately predict your flight had only a 20% chance of not being cancelled.

According to Flightaware.com, only two flights departing from DWD were cancelled today. I am guessing your original flight will not be cancelled.

I'm flying through Chicago at the end of the month so I've been tracking flights through there out of curiosity. So far, I'm noticing slight delays on arrivals into O Hare but nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't seem to get fingers to type what brain is thinking. Meant MDW. Southwest's flight, MDW-FLL not cancelled today.

LOL! I hate when that happens...

I was beginning to wonder if the control problems impacted Detroit Metro, more than just cancellations of incoming flights from Chicago.

Over the top? Well if you were told that you only had a 20% chance of getting on a plane to go on a cruise... You my friend would be a little up set to!!!!

But it doesn't sound like that's what they were told. The 20% referred to flights at the time of calling, not projected a week later, right? OP did apparently misquote the original advisory about flights being canceled until the 15th. Their flight is still scheduled to fly and sold out, I gather. What I didn't see is what Southwest said would happen, and when, should OP's actual flight be canceled. Would they make alternate arrangements?

http://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_20148261411742641777.html

http://www.southwest.com/html/help/soda_reaccommodation_practices.html

I am confused as to where the $900 and $100 numbers came from, since there were no change fees. Hubby was told the new flight they chose would cost $450 pp more than the original flight? If Southwest later "discounted" this where did $100 come from? Why $100? A special price given by Southwest?

The lack of notification from airlines about changes is a regular topic here, on Flyertalk and on Tripadvisor. Sometimes notices are sent but end up in peoples' spam folders. Sometimes they aren't sent. Best advice, often given here, is to regularly check one's flight status. Plus, of course, to avoid arriving at the cruise departure city the day of the cruise. since last minute problems, delays, etc. can happen with any airline (don't know if OP left an extra day but many people don't).

Edited by Fattony

We were booked on a Delta flight on 9/27 out of Milwaukee for an all inclusive vacation to Cozumel. I saw on the app on my phone when we were driving to Milwaukee on 9/26 that our flight was cancelled.

I emailed our TA immediately and he worked with Apple and Delta for hours. There were no flights on 9/27 that we could go on, from any surrounding airport. We left on 9/28 instead and had to pay an extra 612 dollars to get on that flight as it was a non-partner airline and the flight had to be repriced to current fare.

There were 14 departures cancelled that morning out of Milwaukee due to the Chicago fire situation. I was sure glad we weren't scrambling to get to a cruise. We do always fly to the port city the day before but even so we were told we were very lucky to get out a day late and for extra money. We have the full Apple insurance plan so now working on our claim.