Port Day in Rome - Experienced Help Needed

MomtoLx2

We're sailing on the Epic with our two kids (5 year old boy and 7 month old girl) and are planning on taking the train to S.Pietro on our own on our Rome day.

My husband would like to visit the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's. Knowing how large Rome is and that we are traveling with kids, I likely think this is all we can handle.

He would also like to try to get to the Colosseum and I would like to see Trevi and the Spanish Steps. We know there is a hop on hop off sightseeing bus, but I'm not sure if we are biting off more than we can chew. Factoring in traffic and the bus route, is this a good idea?

Anyone have advice for us? From your experience, when do we need to be back on board the ship? I just don't want to be stuck on the other side of Rome with two kids and not enough time to get back to the boat.

We are sailing next weekend so any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Hello,

We did Rome 5years ago, so my experience might not be the most up to date...we went to the Vatican using the hop on hop off. We had to take a taxi back to the train station. We had hoped that we could get to the coliseum too, but ran out of time. The trains were running late and we nearly missed the ship. My experience would say be careful, you can't do it all.

We're sailing on the Epic with our two kids (5 year old boy and 7 month old girl) and are planning on taking the train to S.Pietro on our own on our Rome day.

My husband would like to visit the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's. Knowing how large Rome is and that we are traveling with kids, I likely think this is all we can handle.

He would also like to try to get to the Colosseum and I would like to see Trevi and the Spanish Steps. We know there is a hop on hop off sightseeing bus, but I'm not sure if we are biting off more than we can chew. Factoring in traffic and the bus route, is this a good idea?

Anyone have advice for us? From your experience, when do we need to be back on board the ship? I just don't want to be stuck on the other side of Rome with two kids and not enough time to get back to the boat.

Assuming your highest priority is the Vatican area sites, then I would suggest you do those and based on how much time you have left when you are done with them, either take a taxi on to the next stop or head back to the ship. If you do go on to a second location, then probably take another taxi back to a train station in time to get your train. Taxis are reasonably priced and would be the most convenient transport for the 4 of you. I would not waste time using the HOHO buses, as it often gets stuck in traffic and doesn't really get you close to all the major sites anyway.

I've often seen posted on here that you should not wait to take the last train that gets you back to your ship in time. You should take at least one before that -- perhaps 2 if you are unfamiliar travelers with Rome, trains, etc. You'll have a good idea how long it takes to go from the train back to the ship in Civitavecchia based on what you went thru during the morning trek to the train station.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks - we've booked our Vatican tickets and I don't think we want to rush - especially with two kids. The ship leaves at 7 pm so my aim would be back on ship by 5 pm since 7 pm is our little ones bedtimes.

Thanks - we've booked our Vatican tickets and I don't think we want to rush - especially with two kids. The ship leaves at 7 pm so my aim would be back on ship by 5 pm since 7 pm is our little ones bedtimes.

Your plan sounds perfect. I would do the same. As you research, check to see if the Trevi Fountain is still under reconstruction. I haven't looked lately. Much of it was hidden by the repair process over the last few months. That might help you decide on whether to go that way or not. Personally, I don't think the Spanish Steps should be a priority on a single port day, when it is your first time in Rome. But that's just my opinion. The Colosseum would be my first choice to attempt after completing the Vatican area.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

There will be enough time to do all. The best way to do it is taxis. The hop on hop off is good as is public transport but you will waste too much time walking and waiting. The good news is cabs are fairly cheap. Here's them way to do it:

Right now go online and see if you can pre-book a tour to the Vatican museums/Sistine chapel. Or just buy tickets online for Vatican museums. This is the best way to ensure no wait. Also, right now, pre-buy regular Colloseum admission on-line so you can print out & skip the line. If you need timing, do Vatican museums for about 90 min-2 hrs after the stated port/dock time ( so book for around 9-9:30 am) and Colloseum for around 2pm.

Take the train from Cittavecchia to Rome. Ideally, try for the express train at 7:50am. Upon arrival in Rome, immediately grab a taxi and ask to be taken to the Vatican Museums entrance. You'll enter there with your tour or pre-booked ticket. You will skip the line.

Tour the museums ending with the Sistine chapel. As you exit the chapel, if you are not with a tour, siddle up next to a tour and use the exit on the right for tour groups. Most people will use the left exit. This exit drops you right at the St. Peter's entrance. There will be a very long line and a short or non-existent line. The long line is to climb to the top of the tower. You don't want that, you want the St. Peter's entrance. As you exit St. Peter's, walk straight across the huge Vatican courtyard area and to the main road. It should be around noon. Grab a cab to trevi fountain. It should be around 12pm

Look at the trevi fountain and then walk the few blocks to the Spanish steps. Grab some pizza or light lunch as you walk around this area. You'll have time to see it but you can't dawdle here. You can have about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs for this.

(If you have more time, you can walk to the Colloseum from here in about 20 minutes.)

It should be close to 2pm. Taxi to Colloseum entrance. Skip the lines with your pre-booked tickets. You'll need 1- 1/2 hrs here. If you want to see the forum, stick to 60 minutes and then walk over to the forum and take it in for 30 minutes. If you want to end your day here at the Colloseum, linger if you want. I'd be in a taxi headed for the main train station by about 4pm.

If iI remember, there was an express train right around 5pm that only took 40 minutes or so to get back. That was our plan but we were done and on an earlier train. You need to back on the ship by 7pm, I think.

It is very doable and we actually had more downtime than we thought. We even fit in the Pantheon.

And I think it might be okay just this once for bedtime to be a little later, no? ;)They'll fall asleep on the train anyway.

And I agree about the Spanish steps. Nothing much to see and very, very crowded.

Edited by conandrob240

The Trevi Fountain is in the middle of a year-and-a-half much needed restoration. It has been drained of water. There's a temporary walkway over the basin that allows visitors to walk past the statues. The link below will take you to a live web cam.

http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/fontana-di-trevi.html

OP: you should ask your question on the Port of Call/Italy forum, where it will be seen by many experts. Have a great trip!

If that's the case, I'd definitely do the Forum and the Colloseum second and then see how you are with time. I suggested it in the middle because lots of nice walk-away piazza and sandwich places in that area. If skipping, I'd add the Pantheon to my slit and do that midday. Nice places to eat all around it.

Call Rome in Limo and have them pick you up in port for a "once in a lifetime" day! So worth it, your kids will be much better off.

Jany at RIL will tell your everything you need to know.

You will be picked up and delivered back to the ship. They will explain everything you need to make the MOST of your day Rome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

There will be enough time to do all. The best way to do it is taxis. The hop on hop off is good as is public transport but you will waste too much time walking and waiting. The good news is cabs are fairly cheap. Here's them way to do it:

Right now go online and see if you can pre-book a tour to the Vatican museums/Sistine chapel. Or just buy tickets online for Vatican museums. This is the best way to ensure no wait. Also, right now, pre-buy regular Colloseum admission on-line so you can print out & skip the line. If you need timing, do Vatican museums for about 90 min-2 hrs after the stated port/dock time ( so book for around 9-9:30 am) and Colloseum for around 2pm.

Take the train from Cittavecchia to Rome. Ideally, try for the express train at 7:50am. Upon arrival in Rome, immediately grab a taxi and ask to be taken to the Vatican Museums entrance. You'll enter there with your tour or pre-booked ticket. You will skip the line.

Tour the museums ending with the Sistine chapel. As you exit the chapel, if you are not with a tour, siddle up next to a tour and use the exit on the right for tour groups. Most people will use the left exit. This exit drops you right at the St. Peter's entrance. There will be a very long line and a short or non-existent line. The long line is to climb to the top of the tower. You don't want that, you want the St. Peter's entrance. As you exit St. Peter's, walk straight across the huge Vatican courtyard area and to the main road. It should be around noon. Grab a cab to trevi fountain. It should be around 12pm

Look at the trevi fountain and then walk the few blocks to the Spanish steps. Grab some pizza or light lunch as you walk around this area. You'll have time to see it but you can't dawdle here. You can have about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs for this.

(If you have more time, you can walk to the Colloseum from here in about 20 minutes.)

It should be close to 2pm. Taxi to Colloseum entrance. Skip the lines with your pre-booked tickets. You'll need 1- 1/2 hrs here. If you want to see the forum, stick to 60 minutes and then walk over to the forum and take it in for 30 minutes. If you want to end your day here at the Colloseum, linger if you want. I'd be in a taxi headed for the main train station by about 4pm.

If iI remember, there was an express train right around 5pm that only took 40 minutes or so to get back. That was our plan but we were done and on an earlier train. You need to back on the ship by 7pm, I think.

It is very doable and we actually had more downtime than we thought. We even fit in the Pantheon.

Connie this is SO HELPFUL! Based on the other notes regarding the Trevi Fountain restoration, I think our best bet is to do the Vatican in the morning (booked 10:30 am tickets) then look to do the Colosseum in the early afternoon.

The Rome in a Limo sounds heavenly, but we're trying to be cost efficient as well.

Rome Limo will cost you 400e. Train and taxis will cost you 100 at the very most. Just take the advice about using taxis. We walked and it was fine but we definitely would have saved lots of time with taxis and they aren't very expensive. We had only a 14 yr old with us. With little kids, definitely taxis are the way to go.

We've done Rome on our own a couple of times. You will need to choose between the two areas. The first year we did the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain areas. Second time we made online reservations for the Vatican Museum and went to St. Peter's. You could spend all day just in the Vatican Museum and not see everything. The Vatican day went very smoothly riding the train as San Pietro is on the port side of Rome. The other time we saw what we came to see but it was Easter Sunday and returning trains were canceled due to the holiday. We were at Termini way early to return just to find no trains were running. About 400 people from the Jade were waiting for trains that didn't come. Just when we were getting really worried, an unscheduled train came and took us all back just in time to run for the ship. Both times we saved a bundle and saw more than a ship's tour. Just remember to allow plenty of time for the return trip and walk back to the port.

Edited by HokiePoq

No, I totally disagree. It is fine to do both as long as you don't want to pour over one or the other for four hours.

If you booked Vatican museums for 10:30, you should still take the early train and do St. Peter's first then. You want have bono ugh time if you don't enter Vatican museums until 10:30 and then do St. Peter's after. It will be too tight to get to Colloseum for 2pm. You need a solid 3 - 3 1/2 hrs for St. Peter's and Vatican museums

Is it worth it to just buy open pre-purchased tickets to the Colosseum (no time indicated) or try and get a specific time? I could book 2:30 pm.

Thanks so much! My husband lived in Europe for a while and likes to travel with little plans - now with two kids, it's not really an option.

My husband and I went to Rome from the cruise port via the train. Getting there was fine but we almost missed the last train that would get us back to Port on time because we couldn't figure out which platform the train was to depart from and I couldn't pronounce Civitevecchia and the only worker near us didn't speak English. I finally showed him my travel book with the name and he smiled and pointed us to the train which was ready to leave. All that to say, write down the name ' Civitevecchia' :-) and make sure you find the right platform to be at. You may even want to check what time the train leaves ( when you first arrive) to make sure you have plenty of time to get there.

Just my two cents,

Ana

Rome Limo will cost you 400e. Train and taxis will cost you 100 at the very most. Just take the advice about using taxis. We walked and it was fine but we definitely would have saved lots of time with taxis and they aren't very expensive. We had only a 14 yr old with us. With little kids, definitely taxis are the way to go.

Going to Rome us a "day of a lifetime" with 2 very young children I think the comfort and ease of RIL will make for the best use of time. Trying to get a taxi in Rome while dealing with children..... Sorry make the very most of a very special stop!

Buy them at Pallantine Hill...you use the same ticket for entering PH and the Colosseum and there is a much shorter line.

It's an adventurous day you've planned...the first time we went to Rome we took the NCL "Rome on your own" tour. There was so much to see we just focused on the Forum area, which included the Colosseum. But that's us.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Palatine a hill is a bit of a walk out of the way. Buy the Colloseum tickets on line that way you can do that first and go next to the forum and third to palatine hill if you have time. Palatine hill is the least interesting and it is quite a walk from the Colloseum ( up obviously LOL)

I can't imagine spending more than a few hours at the forum/ Colloseum and that is without kids. Two hours would be plenty.

Edited by conandrob240

Call Rome in Limo and have them pick you up in port for a "once in a lifetime" day! So worth it, your kids will be much better off.

Jany at RIL will tell your everything you need to know.

You will be picked up and delivered back to the ship. They will explain everything you need to make the MOST of your day Rome!

THIS!!!!

I use Rome Cabs but have used ril and they are excellent

They will even have the right type if car seat for you.

I personally think you should be looking at doing either the Vatican or the Colosseum but not both areas. If it was just you and your husband, sure. But trying to wrangle two small children as well in a place where English isn't as widely spoken as you'd expect? I think it might end up being very stressful.

I agree that if you're going to go to the Colosseum you should pre-book and skip the queue - it's very long. But if you do pre-book the tickets, you're going to feel like you *have* to go, and that might not be the best idea on the day. Since you haven't said that it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I assume you'll be back one day and you'd be better served by enjoying a few things immensely rather than enjoying a lot of things a little.

I would suggest leaving the Colosseum and the Forum for another visit, and since the Vatican is clearly the priority for your visit, do that as suggested, and then hop in a cab and go into Rome proper if you have time. It's a shame the Trevi fountain is being worked on, and I agree that the Spanish Steps are overrated, but the Pantheon is lovely, and there's lots of nice things to see just by wandering around.

Last time we went to Rome we had 4 days and still didn't see everything we would have liked to! It's a very frenetic city and and can be very tiring.