Tips and Advice for "mature" honeymooners on Explorer....

0P – best wishes.

As for a romantic time, we love to find a spot outside (it needs to be dark) and stargaze. We also like to wake up early one morning and watch the sunrise. Something about seeing the sunrise over the ocean gives us a renewed feeling.

Enjoy

M

Thanks so much for the kind words and great ideas! I'm out of town on business this week and cut and pasted these great romantic ideas to my (close) DH and as a side note (how to you refer to your fiancé? as DF is dear friend, cant use DB as in dearly bethrothed is dear brother?? And.... thought about this last cruise.... is it worth packing binoculars? Sorry rambling, wedding date is coming soon and trying to pull all together.

We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on the Brilliance with a Mediterranean Cruise (we were married in Florence). I would highly recommend purchasing the Romance Package (even as a surprise for your husband). It is good value and we still have our Robes and Photo Frame as mementos.

Enjoy your time together.;)

We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on the Brilliance with a Mediterranean Cruise (we were married in Florence). I would highly recommend purchasing the Romance Package (even as a surprise for your husband). It is good value and we still have our Robes and Photo Frame as mementos.

Enjoy your time together.;)

Thanks - did look at it, need to take a closer look now! You've done some amazing cruises - I've been to many places you've been to (primarily on business) but my better half hasn't been out of NA. We're planning on a Mediterranean cruise next year. Which has been your favorite?

I think it would best if your husband started Bonine about 1 hour before the cruise starts. I would truly hate for him to be sick on his honeymoon. For me, Bonine has no side effects, so it works great and I'm fine for the whole cruise - the only exception was some incredibly rough seas we encountered in the Bay of Biscaye on a Med cruise - I had to use a Trans Derm Scop there and get to middle of the ship for most of the day. I recall trying to get dressed and getting pitched head first into the closet! It was a pretty miserable day at sea with the outside decks all closed, struggling to keep my iced tea on the table, which thankfully only lasted that one day. I recall the comedian that night struggling to do his act as he couldn't stand still due to all the pitching and rolling. He said this might be the first time he'd worn out a pair of shoes doing his act. LOL! At any rate, you shouldn't encounter anything like that in the Caribbean. Still, if your husband takes the Bonine, that should prevent any problem from occurring.
Hopefully none of that ship pitching on this cruise! Problem with Bonine is it says to avoid alchohol and we both like a cocktail or ten:D and I sure don't want him falling asleep at the table. Did you imbibe when on Bonine?

I'd actually recommend the behind the ear patches vs. Bonine. My wife is prone to seasickness. She puts one on the night before we board, and changes it every 3rd day. Easy, works great and we enjoy our cocktails too!

but I think he's a bit paranoid about getting an answer wrong and having to live with me reminding him forever :eek:

I take it he's never been married before? Women may use the word "paranoid" but us guys use the word "resigned" ;)

LOL - I mentioned this to (almost) DH and he almost hyperventilated, which is unusual for him as his job requires him to be "out there" but I think he's a bit paranoid about getting an answer wrong and having to live with me reminding him forever :eek: sure enjoyed watching it on the Oasis - who knows, a few drinks and maybe I'll be able to persuade :D

Just make absolutely sure that no one, and I mean no one you know is on the cruise - not just in the audience (they show that show on the TV)! A freind did it once and lo and behold his cousin was in the audience:eek:. All I can say is their family get togethers have never been the same.:D and :eek:

Thanks - are they prescription or over the counter?

Scopolamine patches are prescription only. Be very, very careful with the patches -- they can have some nasty side effects!! I have had several people as dinner table companions before who were trying the patch, and regretted it dearly. The main side effects seem to be blurred vision -- to the point where the one lady at our table couldn't read the menu at all, serious drymouth, and more drowsiness than even with original Dramamine. One of the other people we sat with who was wearing the patch had to leave halfway through the first dinner because she literally couldn't stay awake.

If I were to go the patch route, I would definitely try them out at least a few days before the actual trip to see how they might affect me.

Scopolamine patches are prescription only. Be very, very careful with the patches -- they can have some nasty side effects!! I have had several people as dinner table companions before who were trying the patch, and regretted it dearly. The main side effects seem to be blurred vision -- to the point where the one lady at our table couldn't read the menu at all, serious drymouth, and more drowsiness than even with original Dramamine. One of the other people we sat with who was wearing the patch had to leave halfway through the first dinner because she literally couldn't stay awake.

If I were to go the patch route, I would definitely try them out at least a few days before the actual trip to see how they might affect me.

Yep, probably a good idea to try out anything new a few days before the actual trip to make sure YOU don't have side effects. My wife is prone to seasickness, has been using them for well over a decade, next month's cruise will be her 100th and she has no side effects at all from the patches, just the lack of nausea!

Yep, probably a good idea to try out anything new a few days before the actual trip to make sure YOU don't have side effects. My wife is prone to seasickness, has been using them for well over a decade, next month's cruise will be her 100th and she has no side effects at all from the patches, just the lack of nausea!

Thanks so much for the advice. Need to make a doctors appointment now!

We were on the Allure this past January for our Honeymoon. They had a "Honeymooner's Reception", by special invite. We ate "wedding cake", and had champagne. It was very nice, I'd recommend going. They also had a drawing for some nice door prizes. The invite to this reception was the extent of the recognition by RC for our Honeymoon. Congrats, and enjoy! We had such a good time, we are spending our 1st Anniversary on Oasis!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm from Canada and we don't have Trader Joes but will be in Florida a few days early so this works without the need for any medication? That would be great.

Sadly we don't have Bonine either (as suggested by another poster). :( I recommend you pick some of it up before you board as well - it's waaay less sedating than Gravol, and nobody wants to snooze their honeymoon away! ;)

Ginger gum is available in the States at major drug chain, usually found near Bonine and other seasick meds. Works very well for us, chewing a piece or two at the first sign of "urpsiness". We always have Bonine with us, too. I personally don't like to pre-medicate for something that most likely won't happen. Ten cruises and have only used Bonine once and have chewed the ginger gum a couple times...felt fine each time even when "sea bags" we're hung in every corridor and many folks lay low in their cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Meclizine is the generic name for bonine or less drowsy Dramamine (dramamine 2) I recommend them at bedtime starting the night before sailing. can take up to three times a day if needed (available for no charge at the service desk) (think prevention not as effective once symptoms take hold)

Gravol is more similar to regular Dramamine and a lot more sedating.

Trans derm scop is the patch and works well for most people but can have some side effects

always wash hands before and after applying.

Ginger and green apples are both old remedies. Sea bands I don't understand but a lot of my patients swear by them.. so I wouldn't discourage their use..

Set up an appointment with your future husbands primary care physician and ask for their opinion.

enjoy your cruise and do as much or as little as you like

A second vote for the ear patch. I am not prone to sea sickness at all, but DH and I both went to Dr. and got them before our honeymoon cruise- and wore them, just in case. You can't see them and they worked like a charm. Neither of us were affected by *potential* side effects of feeling drowsy or feeling more affected by alcohol.

I have not been on Explorer, but what ports are you going to? Maybe I can offer some ideas or "must sees". We did S. Caribbean for our honeymoon too :D Your itinerary is on my bucket list, we only did the 7 night!

Thanks - did look at it, need to take a closer look now! You've done some amazing cruises - I've been to many places you've been to (primarily on business) but my better half hasn't been out of NA. We're planning on a Mediterranean cruise next year. Which has been your favorite?

That's a tough one! We love Hong Kong and Singapore, but I suppose two favourites - apart from the Mediterranean - were on the Vision where we visited the Scandinavian, Russian and the Baltic Region. In our part of the world, it would have to be Australia and New Zealand. We just love to travel!

In 2015 it is our 10th wedding anniversary and yes, we are again returning to Italy. This time flying to Houston first for a week to see some friends, then to FLL to board Allure for her first TA. Disembarking in Barcelona (another favourite city) we then fly to Florence for a week, before flying home via Qatar and Thailand.:)

A second vote for the ear patch. I am not prone to sea sickness at all, but DH and I both went to Dr. and got them before our honeymoon cruise- and wore them, just in case. You can't see them and they worked like a charm. Neither of us were affected by *potential* side effects of feeling drowsy or feeling more affected by alcohol.

I have not been on Explorer, but what ports are you going to? Maybe I can offer some ideas or "must sees". We did S. Caribbean for our honeymoon too :D Your itinerary is on my bucket list, we only did the 7 night!

Sounds like ear patches are the honeymoon thing to do :D We are going to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacoa. We spent two weeks in Aruba last year so I think we are just going to the north beach and go snorkeling and I have to go and say hello to the parrots at the Hyatt - love them, in Bonaire we are diving with RCL and in Curacoa we are going on a day trip with people on the roll call but always open for ideas, nothing is written in stone!

That's a tough one! We love Hong Kong and Singapore, but I suppose two favourites - apart from the Mediterranean - were on the Vision where we visited the Scandinavian, Russian and the Baltic Region. In our part of the world, it would have to be Australia and New Zealand. We just love to travel!

In 2015 it is our 10th wedding anniversary and yes, we are again returning to Italy. This time flying to Houston first for a week to see some friends, then to FLL to board Allure for her first TA. Disembarking in Barcelona (another favourite city) we then fly to Florence for a week, before flying home via Qatar and Thailand.:)

Wow... now that sounds like a trip!