Umm mm. ... Unbelievable. ..!! They Don't Know What Cider Is On Royal Caribbean???!!

As another poster from england has pointed out;

fermented hops and barley is beer.

fermented grapes is wine.

I am sure every american has come across one of these.

In england cider (as in alcoholic stuff) is on tap in most pubs alongside beers. In australia it is mainly bottled but some pubs are now serving mostly the english ciders on tap. In australia we call it apple juice if its of the non alcoholic variety and cider if it is alcoholic.

Umm not strictly true, Woolworths and Coles [probably others too] sell Apple Cider, that is non-alcoholic, apple juice is technically non-carbonated ie no bubbles.

Hey, we'll be cruising on Royal Caribbean for the first time in January 2015, so I was online checking out potential drink packages. When looking at them, the lists of available alcoholic beverages indicated beer, wine, cocktails and of course non- alcoholic soft drinks. However, as cider is my favourite alcoholic drink I was looking for it and couldn't see it listed in any of the drinks packages. Rather than simply assume that it was cateogorised under beer, I rang up Royal Caribbean, and here's the thing- the young guy I spoke to didn't have any idea what cider was! So, I asked him what he thought it was - JUICE was his reply! Needless to say, my husband and I decided not to bother with drinks packages! As the cheapest package starts at approximately $45.00 Australian per person per day, the fact that we're allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine each onboard at the start, plus we'll probably get drinks at the Meet and Greets, the Captain's Cocktails, possible champagne at Art Auctions, possibly there will be a Champagne Fountain, and plus we'll be wine tasting in New Zealand - hey. .. we're not going to bother with drinks packages- especially when it doesn't look like I'll be getting any cider on Royal Caribbean, because they don't know what it is!!!!😞😞😟😛

You can only bring on one bottle of wine each, not two, as another poster has said. However new Zealand has some great wines, especially their sav blancs and pinot. You can buy these at any supermarket for similar prices to Dan Murpy and BWS etc. Can you bring it onboard? It depends on who you ask as to the answer you will get for this question. We were on Sea Princess earlier this year and one of the responses was that you would pay $15 corkage regardless of where you consumed the bottle onboard. So we bought a bottle each for less than $10 and paid $15 corkage and we were drinking a better wine than the ship was charging $35 a bottle. The next two stops we were waved on and not charged. Some we drank in our room as pre dinner drinks and some we took to the dining room. We were able to try a great range of drinks this way. So at your first stop just bring two bottles on, declare them and see what happens. At worst they will keep them until you finish the cruise, at best you may pay a corkage but get to try some wines you would not see in OZ. Dont bother asking at reception, we tried that and got three different answers! It really comes down to who is on security and how fastidious they are.

As another poster from england has pointed out;

fermented hops and barley is beer.

fermented grapes is wine.

I am sure every american has come across one of these.

To some extent, yes. But many Americans are predominantly unaware that their favorite "beer" is as much corn and rice as it is barley (some even think a lager is different from a beer). Or only really know "red" and "white" (sometimes rose), and probably don't know the difference between a syrah and a shiraz. And how many know what fermented honey is called? (As a student of zymology - with plenty of "lab studies" :o - I am constantly searching for the result of an anaerobic metabolic reaction utilizing yeast and sugar).

In england cider (as in alcoholic stuff) is on tap in most pubs alongside beers. In australia it is mainly bottled but some pubs are now serving mostly the english ciders on tap. In australia we call it apple juice if its of the non alcoholic variety and cider if it is alcoholic.

Having had some of those ciders, I would expect the folks from the isles or downunder to at least know about ciders, but for many the U.S. a "hard cider" is something new.

Your post indicated that cider is your favorite alcoholic drink. Cider, by itself, is just that - cider. You would have needed to ask if they carry hard cider. I don't think that they do. I like it myself, but they can only offer so many different varieties of beverages, so they probably go with the most popular.

Sorry, its Cider - 5% Alcohol.

If one nation decides to call it Hard Cider, that doesnt become its identity :D

Umm not strictly true, Woolworths and Coles [probably others too] sell Apple Cider, that is non-alcoholic, apple juice is technically non-carbonated ie no bubbles.

You can also get Pear cider (once known as Perry) and other fruit ciders.

You can also get Pear cider (once known as Perry) and other fruit ciders.

Honestly never heard of that one. But once I gave up drinkng I used to drink a lot of non-alcoholic apple cider, you just need to be careful what you ask for. The same can apply in some places to Ginger Beer, another favorite of mne, but in some places you'll get alcoholic.

But would you be happy paying for fermented Barley or Hops, or even Grapes ??

As in Beer or Wine :eek:

Clearly if CB wouldn't pay for it, neither should we.:D She is, after all, the arbiter of all that is right or wrong about the cruising experience.:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I'm glad I found this thread. I live in Northern Ireland, which, for those not in the know, is British, but not part of Great Britian, Part of the U.K, on the island of Ireland, but not necessarily Irish.

I drink what we call "cider" typically Magners or Bulmers. and have yet to have it on board any of our RCI cruises.

Were going on Navigator in October, so I'll be hoping to check out the English or Irish pubs for it.

I drink hard cider, preferably Strongbow. In America, many servers in restaurants just look at me strange when I ask if they have any ciders because they are unfamiliar, even when they have it....some of them even call it "beer".

Most servers (unless they drink it) don't know the difference between the different beers they are serving, let alone that something listed isn't even a beer. Once I was looking at the tap menu at a chain restaurant known for their wings (bww) and one of the offerings was 'Leinenkugel seasonal.' I asked him what they had for that seasonal (I was hoping it was the Doppelbock) and he had no idea. (He also wasn't interested in finding out but that's another issue.) So sometimes they don't even know what's available, let alone the differences.

FWIW, I'm in the midwest and we have plenty of Ciders available. We have Angry Orchard, Crispin, Redd's, Woodchuck and Strongbow in local stores. There may be more I'd have to look. If there is one of them on tap, it's normally Angry Orchard.

To the FL poster, you can order an Arnold Palmer and servers will know what that is as well. Not that you'll be visiting, but just in case.

Edited by ewenix

Hey, we'll be cruising on Royal Caribbean for the first time in January 2015, so I was online checking out potential drink packages. When looking at them, the lists of available alcoholic beverages indicated beer, wine, cocktails and of course non- alcoholic soft drinks. However, as cider is my favourite alcoholic drink I was looking for it and couldn't see it listed in any of the drinks packages. Rather than simply assume that it was cateogorised under beer, I rang up Royal Caribbean, and here's the thing- the young guy I spoke to didn't have any idea what cider was! So, I asked him what he thought it was - JUICE was his reply! Needless to say, my husband and I decided not to bother with drinks packages! As the cheapest package starts at approximately $45.00 Australian per person per day, the fact that we're allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine each onboard at the start, plus we'll probably get drinks at the Meet and Greets, the Captain's Cocktails, possible champagne at Art Auctions, possibly there will be a Champagne Fountain, and plus we'll be wine tasting in New Zealand - hey. .. we're not going to bother with drinks packages- especially when it doesn't look like I'll be getting any cider on Royal Caribbean, because they don't know what it is!!!!
Actually could care less about cider, think the taste is horrible. Even if I did enjoy it wouldn't bother me in the least if it wasn't available, to many other wonderful drinks to partake in.... Edited by Thetrail

To some extent, yes. But many Americans are predominantly unaware that their favorite "beer" is as much corn and rice as it is barley (some even think a lager is different from a beer). Or only really know "red" and "white" (sometimes rose), and probably don't know the difference between a syrah and a shiraz. And how many know what fermented honey is called? (As a student of zymology - with plenty of "lab studies" :o - I am constantly searching for the result of an anaerobic metabolic reaction utilizing yeast and sugar).

Having had some of those ciders, I would expect the folks from the isles or downunder to at least know about ciders, but for many the U.S. a "hard cider" is something new.

You speak of Mead, sir! I only need to look as far as people saying beer is fermented barley and hops to know that, as other posters have pointed out, most Americans know nothing of the brewing process.

Barley indeed provides the sugars needed to ferment the beer. Hops is added solely for aroma and bitterness and provides no fermentables whatsoever.

Then again, I live in Denver, and home brew, so I guess I could be called a bit of a beer snob.

I also have two ciders bulk aging. One is coming up on two years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Cider can be mistaken for apple cider as is very popular in certain areas (many Orchards here in Ontario). Yes I agree Cider over the past few years has become more popular here in Canada as well (Toronto). The Canadian brewers are now coming out with a lot of their own Ciders and releasing different flavours. I had Passion Fruit flavoured cider while in England, so good but can't find it here! It was made by the brand Rekorderlig from Sweden, I do like their Elderflower flavour as well which I can buy here in Toronto.

Ok guys. ..chill! ! We went back on Voyager of the Seas in October and they now include it in their Drinks Packages! Believe me, I certainly didn't think it was the end of the world when they didn't know what cider was when I rang them up - I simply just wrote about it for a bit of entertainment on this site- it's so serious sometimes! Have a wonderful week everyone! Dawn and John! !😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Ok guys. ..chill! ! We went back on Voyager of the Seas in October and they now include it in their Drinks Packages! Believe me, I certainly didn't think it was the end of the world when they didn't know what cider was when I rang them up - I simply just wrote about it for a bit of entertainment on this site- it's so serious sometimes! Have a wonderful week everyone! Dawn and John! ![emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Let me know if you'd like a couple bombers of my aged cider. The wife and I aren't big drinkers and give 90% of what we brew away anyways. I'll even send it internationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been a great thread to read, learning what everyone around the world calls different drinks.

Here in Scotland there are lots of different flavours of cider both alcoholic and non alcoholic same with ginger beer. Cordial's are normally used as mixers with alcoholic drinks like a long vodka or with cider. There are many carbonated flavours of juice.. lemonade, orange, red cola, pineapple & vimto flavour.

Another popular drink in the central belt of Scotland is Buckfast which is a tonic wine. Being a non drinker I stick to the national drink Irn Bru!;)

I just got off Enchantment 4 days ago. They had Angry Orchard hard cider and the best Strongbow has to offer!!! IT was the original Strongbow hard cider bottled in UK by Bulmers!!!!!

It was the original DRY not the sweet junk they sell in the US... I drank 2 a day and loooved them!!! I am so upset the US does not sell the original dry Strongbow in stores anymore. I wish I knew how RCCL got it.......

Edited by dasi11