Cruise Line Air - What To Expect

Yes I'm A Sucker (and A Lttle Lazy)and I Bought The Cruiseline Air For Our Cruise On The Majesty. We're Flying One Day Early From Portland Oregon To Miami. Has Anyone Else Done This In The Past? What Kind Of Flight Did You Get? I'm Worried It Will Be Really Early In The A.m. Or Really Late At Night. Please Tell Me Your Experience With Cruiseline Air And Flying From The Northwest To Florida. Thanks For Any Help!

Yes I'm A Sucker (and A Lttle Lazy)and I Bought The Cruiseline Air For Our Cruise On The Majesty. We're Flying One Day Early From Portland Oregon To Miami. Has Anyone Else Done This In The Past? What Kind Of Flight Did You Get? I'm Worried It Will Be Really Early In The A.m. Or Really Late At Night. Please Tell Me Your Experience With Cruiseline Air And Flying From The Northwest To Florida. Thanks For Any Help!

the only time i booked cruise air i had no assigned seat a crappy flight in and a crappy flight back...but this was to san juan not miami

I've used cruise air for each of my cruises, but I've always traveled day of. Yes, they put me on the 1st flight of the morning, but that was because it was the only way to make the ship. We were given flights with one connection, which is normal out of our local airport for any trip, again because that was the only way to make the ship. What flights they put you on will depend on availability at the time they book, which is sometime after final payment, and which airlines they have contracts with. You could concievably end up on the "milk run" flights, i.e. make every possible stop coming across the country, or you could be put on a direct flight at a great time. You won't know until you get your cruise documents.

We have done it twice with no real problems. The only thing is after you are told what flights you will be on check you seating right away. We had a 9 hour flight to Santiago and they have my wife and I each in middle seats nine rows apart. Our travel agent fixed that right away.

I have had good experiences, but I always used the custom air, on Celebrity, and one bad experience, with custom, on my first, upcoming RCCI cruise. Can you use custom, now? $50pp unless at a certain level? and assure, to some extent, a flight you are comfortable with? I say, to some extent, as my one and only experience with custom for RCCI turned out to be a disaster as the airline changed itinerary, but I was never notified so that I could make an adjustment.

Do call the airlines and get your seat assignment as soon as you know the flight plans. And if you go custom with an assured flight, check that flight every week for any possible changes, as the cruise line won't be doing it and unexpected surprises are never welcome. Good luck!

We just returned from the July 23 Brilliance Mediterranean sailing and used RCCL air and hotel both ways, with an extra day each way. The flights, from Charlotte to Atlanta and then on to Barcelona, were flawless. Everything was on time, their seat assignments gave me an aisle seat next to my wife on all four legs of the trip, and transfers to and from the airport, hotel, and dock were quick and very efficient.

This was the first time we did cruiseline air in five or six trips, but since it was an international flight, we wanted to avoid the hassle of all the transfers and worrying about making the flights on time. By the time you factor in all of the transfers, we really paid very little more than we would have doing it on our own, and we felt it was definitely worth it for the convenience and lack of stress.

Even if it's a trip from Miami or Fort Lauderdale, we always try to add an extra day on the front end of the trip just to be able to wake up relaxed and well-rested and really be able to enjoy the five or six hours on board before the ship leaves.

Allen

I've only had one experience with cruise line arranged air, on our first cruise because we didn't really know any better at the time. Since then, I have always booked our own. I prefer selecting the time, the airline and selecting our own seats. We have found that we usually save more $$ than we spend for a hotel room and restaurant meals for the day, since we always go a day early. We also stay an extra day, several times our return flight is less costly than on debarkation day. But, there are times when cruise air is better, such as one-way flights, or I have read about people who get International or Hawaii flights for less.

You will only know in hindsight what your experience will be. Some people have good results, some are awful. Ours was awful, they put us on a red-eye flight, something I would never choose, plus we were not seated together. Our kids were fairly young at the time, my daughter was 6 and seated by herself. Thank goodness the kind woman seated next to her changed seats with me.

Flying in the day before is a great choice for you, it will relieve the stress of travel and you will get onto your cruise ship more relaxed and refreshed. You will not know your flight schedule until 30 days (I think) before your cruise.

Good Luck!

Because you are flying in from Portland OR. I believe you should be given day prior flights with a free hotel.....yes we were always given early flights with a change of planes and arriving somewhere around 4 pm in Miami. No room for error if flying in same day!!! :eek:

We have used cruise air anytime we sail out of Miami. Because we live in AZ and with the time difference they give us the day prior with a free hotel, usually the Hyatt. We have been very lucky in using cruise air, no complaints.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Because you are flying in from Portland OR. I believe you should be given day prior flights with a free hotel.....yes we were always given early flights with a change of planes and arriving somewhere around 4 pm in Miami. No room for error if flying in same day!!! :eek:

We have used cruise air anytime we sail out of Miami. Because we live in AZ and with the time difference they give us the day prior with a free hotel, usually the Hyatt. We have been very lucky in using cruise air, no complaints.

Enjoy your cruise!!

ArizonaCruiser85374 this is the first time we added cruiseline air to our cruise reservations. It makes me feel good that everything worked out for you even though you was probuably flying out of Phoenix and we would be flying out of Tucson. Depending on which cruise we pick we would be either flying into Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

I am going on the Brilliance Transatlantic 4/28/06. this will be my first time to use Cruise Air. However, as I am a Platinum member, I used Custom Air and booked the flights I would have booked. Price was actually as cheap as I could have booked, and I got an upgrade on the British Airlines flight home to Economy Plus for $150. I got to choose my seats, and I am coming in one day early, and staying in Barcelona two extra nights. So, we'll see if everything works out!

Always hopeful

Jeanne

Thanks For All The Replies! Looks Like I'll Just Cross My Fingers And Hope For The Best!

I was apprehensive, too. I had read a lot of the scare stories and finally just had to do as you are.... cross my fingers and hope. Fortunately, it worked out great. Hopefully, yours will too!

Allen

If the flight is domestic & RT, then I book it myslef usually with air miles so we fly for free. O/W either domestic or international has its disatisfaction with TSA coding on tix. Nowadays O/W is bad.........

Celebrity's air books me 9 months out so I have my flgights & we get EEAS on every flight whether CLE-LGW or CLE-LAX, we are comfortable. RCCL FOS cruise 10/2006 has us doing RT CLE-Miami with CO Onepass miles for nonstop flights both ways. Those are booked in November for the October flights.

ArizonaCruiser85374 this is the first time we added cruiseline air to our cruise reservations. It makes me feel good that everything worked out for you even though you was probuably flying out of Phoenix and we would be flying out of Tucson. Depending on which cruise we pick we would be either flying into Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

Hello southern AZ neighbor!!! I wouldn't think there will be any difference between Tucson & Phoenix....both need day prior air arrangements! I hope it all works out for you!! ;) Have fun and enjoy your cruise!!!

We have just booked cruise air for the 1st time also. After 15 sailings with rccl, this will be our 1st time for cruise air. Thank you for all of the encouragement. We have a flight out of DFW and connecting flight in Atl and then onto Orlando. Coming back it's Orlando, connecting in Charlotte and then back to DFW. I took everyone's advice here and called Delta and got seat assignments. Then coming back I called US Air and got seat assignments.

Anything else I should be doing? Thanks again for the tip. I didn't realize we had to get our seat assignments. I thought rcl did that.

Sailing on Mariner Sept. 4th. Just booked this one at the last minute.

Linda

I always recommend checking out the flight schedules between the city you are departing and the city you are flying to. Also check out the fares you can get if you book on your own. Don't forget to factor in transfer costs since they are usually included if you book through the line and are an additional cost if you book your own air. In many, but not all, cases you can book your own airfare for less than the cruiseline is charging. However, there are situations where the cruiseline's airfare is cheaper. In those instances, ask (or having your TA ask) their custom air department if you can book the specific flights that you want. Many times they will accommodate you and the only extra charge is their custom air fee of $50 to $75 pp. (If you are a Platinum or higher level C&A member, this fee will be waived). In some instances where the flights you request cost extra, you may have to pay the difference. There is no charge unless they grant your request and they actually book your flights, so you remain in control. We have been very successful in getting the best flights for the lowest price by doing the research in advance and acting accordingly. Good luck.

Hello southern AZ neighbor!!! I wouldn't think there will be any difference between Tucson & Phoenix....both need day prior air arrangements! I hope it all works out for you!! ;) Have fun and enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi back at you neighbor!!

What airline did you fly into Miami? I am wondering they RCI goes with a certain airline over another.

Hi back at you neighbor!!

What airline did you fly into Miami? I am wondering they RCI goes with a certain airline over another.

Its always been either Delta or American. But since they buy bulk tickets you never know until you get your air ticket information.

Good luck! Let me know when you get them! ;)

Archived