Wearing of Military Decorations on Formal Nights

Snooks123

This particular thread has come along just as my wife and I are preparing to book our first Cunard cruise. We're planning to be on next September's New York to Quebec sailing (7 days).

Many of you are more experienced than us, but we have covered a number of lines from Carnival to Silversea.

I'm chiming in on this because as a retired USAF flyer, I have worn my military mess dress on formal nights when cruising. I thought this was perfectly OK, since I had always been told that if properly worn, the formal dress was acceptable attire at formal events.

However, a higher ranking officer informed me that the wearing of the medals (not the uniform) was allowed when attending non-military formal events.

The uniform, with medals, is allowed if the wearer is invited to the formal event due to their military service.

Since finding this out, I now ask the head waiter if he will invite me to the formal dinner as a retired officer.

I know that my approach falls into the category of meeting the letter of the law, but not the spirit. But I've always been gladly welcomed in uniform.

Last, I fully respect all the preceding comments on this subject. If I even meet up with any of you, with or without medals/mess dress/kilts, I'd be proud to buy you a pint. Hope to see some of you next Sept. on the QM2.

Respectfully,

Larry Snider

LtCol USAF (Ret)

A few years ago, inspired by the traditional events around the time of Remembrance Sunday, I wrote a short piece of free verse in an attempt to sum up how I felt about such things in general and about medals in particular. I've never really gone public with this as, in truth, I don't like it much. But, given the theme of this thread and the fact that we aren't all that short of 11 November, here it is. Take it or leave it, just as you please.

J

We Who are Left

"They shall grow not old...."

Perhaps that's true of the dead.

But, be in no doubt, the living grow old

Wearily, remorselessly, inevitably. And I feel it,

More and more now with each day that passes.

So, what have we left - we who are left?

Our pensions? The begrudged pittance of our "grateful" masters!

Some medals? Discs of shiny metal decorating a drawer!

Yes both of those, but mostly memories. Memories born of our own brief stay,

Our few short hours, in the long continuum of the Regiment's life

And what are they worth, these memories?

More than pensions? More than medals?

Yes and Yes! For without them what are we?

Not old... but dead. And so, the memories sustain us,

Ne obliviscaris… ne obliviscaris.

Pretty much up to standard J.

MM

Hi Cruachan

Going by your Avatar it would suggest your former Regiment was the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Other than a short period in the TA with a unit affiliated to that Regiment I never served.I would suggest that any medals you have, awarded in action or for service be worn with pride. You have earned them with your service to your country. I know that we in the UK have a different view to the Military from that of the US but perhaps in that respect we can learn from them. We in the UK only appreciate those who serve/served when we need them.

Hi Cruachan

Going by your Avatar it would suggest your former Regiment was the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Other than a short period in the TA with a unit affiliated to that Regiment I never served.I would suggest that any medals you have, awarded in action or for service be worn with pride. You have earned them with your service to your country. I know that we in the UK have a different view to the Military from that of the US but perhaps in that respect we can learn from them. We in the UK only appreciate those who serve/served when we need them.

Aye, you got it in one - The Agile and Suffering Highlanders it was, all 23 years of it :)

J

Yes, I have seen plenty of medals on formal nights. I am not so sure about military ones. Most common ones worn are the miniature. I was given an MBE by the Queen for my charity work and I wear it with pride on Formal Nights. When else is one to wear them? Go ahead and wear with pride.

Regards

Pat

Hello Pat, I have a super photos of you and my husband standing together each of you wearing your miniature MBE's. Yours the ladies version, and my husband has the male version. He always wears it with pride on a formal night. It is amazing how many other MBE holders spot each other on board and say SNAP! :) Hope you are well Pat and had a good Dreamflight!

Hello Pat, I have a super photos of you and my husband standing together each of you wearing your miniature MBE's. Yours the ladies version, and my husband has the male version. He always wears it with pride on a formal night. It is amazing how many other MBE holders spot each other on board and say SNAP! :) Hope you are well Pat and had a good Dreamflight!

MBE? Is that a military decoration? Thanks, -S.

It's awarded to civilians and to military.

J

Thanks, J.

I understand now that it is appropriate for civilians to wear medals on Formal nights.

I'm remembering one Formal night on QM2 a few years ago.

Playing roulette, there was a man at the table wearing a medal that I didn't recognize. After a while, based his accent, I thought he was either from the USA or Canada. So I figured he wouldn't mind if I asked about the medal hanging from the breast pocket of his dark suit. He didn't mind the question, and proudly replied that it was a Knights of Columbus medal, Special Order of (I don't remember the rest). I thought it curious to wear that medal on that particular occasion. But now I realize that Cunard code states that "Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights", so anyone adorned with any award decoration would be within the guidelines.

@Artemis, I did read the wiki entry regarding MBE, but so often I'm reminded of its insufficiencies, and that's why I asked here :)

Thanks all,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Maggie that was such a wonderful night. Going to miss you and JT on next years trip