Tell me about Tea Time

GeorgiaMomof4

It's sort of a quiet and relaxed time and would be perfect for a 12 year old. The cucumber sandwiches are particularly good. They will first offer individual items one at a time. Then will bring trolleys around offering seconds or thirds of anything you like.

Don't plan on an early dinner that day.

I am sure it is a lovely experience but I am never hungry at that time of day! If I eat lunch and have an early dinner then tea time doesn't fit into my schedule.

This is Carnival so you don't have to worry about how you are dressed!! I certainly wouldn't go in a bathing suite but other than that I think whatever you are wearing will be fine!

I did the tea with my mom on our recent Fascination cruise. It was awful. The cakes and other treats offered were all dry and not edible. The piano player they had was not very good, played too loudly for the small room and the music selection was not relaxing but more upbeat music that did not fit the event. I can now say I have done it and never have to repeat.

We will be on the Sunshine and I'm wondering if my daughter would enjoy tea time. She is 12 but mature for her age.

What is appropriate dress for tea time and what all is offered besides tea of course?

I loved the tea time. I think your daughter would like it. My niece (9) enjoyed it, but she drinks tea regularly.

You select your tea from a variety of teas (nothing really special, was offered) and then they bring a cart of small deserts. They didn't have egg sandwiches or cucumber sandwiches normally associated with tea, but it was still nice.

Dress was day casual, I didn't see anyone dressed for traditional tea.

I did the tea with my mom on our recent Fascination cruise. It was awful. The cakes and other treats offered were all dry and not edible. The piano player they had was not very good, played too loudly for the small room and the music selection was not relaxing but more upbeat music that did not fit the event. I can now say I have done it and never have to repeat.

Where was your tea time held? Ours was in the MDR. I remember there was music, not sure if it was live or recorded.

We will be on the Sunshine and I'm wondering if my daughter would enjoy tea time. She is 12 but mature for her age.

What is appropriate dress for tea time and what all is offered besides tea of course?

She will like it.

And it does not last long.

Wear whatever you want.

I do not care for the tea time. It is quiet, with people sitting side by side, like in a conference. I mean if you just want to chat with family members and maybe fellow cruisers quietly indoor, there are planty of places onboard other than the tea time.

I do not care for the tea time. It is quiet, with people sitting side by side, like in a conference. I mean if you just want to chat with family members and maybe fellow cruisers quietly indoor, there are planty of places onboard other than the tea time.

But I don't have tea and sandwiches and scones if I am just chatting with others in the other plenty of places onboard.

Where was your tea time held? Ours was in the MDR. I remember there was music, not sure if it was live or recorded.

It was in the very tiny piano bar.

My expectations were probably too high as I have had an actual "tea" in England a couple of times. I would have preferred scones and clotted cream to the pastries they served.

This was on my Cruise Bucket List and I crossed it off in July on the Pride. It was in the MDR with about maybe 15 people. They sat all of us in the back of the MDR at 3 long tables.

EAT before you go:D....The desserts were very good, sammies were very small. I went for the experience and am glad that I did, but doubt I would go again.

I'm English and I don't drink tea! but tea time is one of my must dos on a ship. They have some delicious little cakes and the cucumber sandwiches are wonderful. They bring me coffee or water, though I have been known to grab a G&T from the bar on the way there, (not that I would recommend that for a 12 year old.) They don't have scones and clotted cream and you still have to ask for milk rather than lemon, so its not English tea time, or as seen on TV colonial tea time (trust me nice houses/hotels.ranches in Kenya often have tea time but Carnivals are better) and its defiantly not Chinese tea time, but its still a really pleasant sort of refined, hour or so.

As you are seated with your party at a big table theres always the possibility of interesting conversation with other people. DH doesn't care for it so much so I often go alone unless we are cruising with other people and I still love it. I have seen children there and most seam to really love it as its a sort of more 'grown up' activity.

Edited by mips

I try and do it on every cruise. I have done it with a large group and enjoyed it. I have also taken my tablet with me, asked nicely to be seated alone at a small table, and enjoyed the experience VERY much. I love tea, and I have always found the music to be relaxing and perfectly suitable. I will admit that my first tea experience on the Triumph in 08 was the best, they actually had a trio playing, as opposed to just a pianist the last times. I have seen children of different ages come in. Some enjoy it, some not so much. It would depend on your daughter and how she feels about piano music and quiet chatting. I agree with everyone else, swimwear wouldn't be appropriate, but anything else is fine.

Someone said that they do not have cucumber sandwiches and someone else said that they do not have scones.

Every time I have been, and I always go, they had both.

No clotted cream, but they had something, mascarpone or some other sweet cheesy stuff.