Hopefully "Live" Ryndam Athens to Tampa 2014

Mtn2Sea

Because I was sick when they first performed, I was anxious to see Ukebox on stage for their second performance, since I had heard good things about them. Hailing from Liverpool, Ukebox did not disappoint the audience during last night's performance. I heard that, due to the ship's last minute itinerary change, a performer who had gone to the Azores could not get to Madeira to catch the ship and HAL booked Ukebox as a substitute. I also heard this group had never performed on a cruise ship. A lot of their music was from the 60's, but some was earlier. They did a nice medley of Beatles music as well as music from other groups and finished their program with a medley of music from Elvis. Their excellent and energetic program was rewarded with a standing ovation by the audience.

Here's today's program.

imagejpg1_zpsc1ada0be.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsa670829e.jpg

Until later.

Last evening was our last formal dinner. I don't think people were dressed up as much, maybe because we're near the end of a long voyage. We went to dinner around 6:15 and was finished around 7:30. When Ukebox performed the other night, an announcement was made that they would be in the Ocean Bar last night beginning at 6:30. After dinner, we first stopped at the Ocean Bar, but it was so crowded that you couldn't get in. We then went to the Mix and listened to Matt until he went on break. We tried to go to the Explorer's Lounge, but it was full. We returned to the Ocean Bar and just stood for a while listening to Ukebox. Fortunately, some seats opened up and we were able to sit for the last 30 minutes of Ukebox's performance. I must say I have never seen a venue on a HAL ship that was rocking and rolling like the Ocean Bar was doing last night. The dance floor was full and some passengers simply stood up from their chair and started dancing. The leader of Ukebox frequently interacted with the crowd and cracked a lot more jokes than he did in the regular performance. A great time was had by all!

Hard to believe we've reached our last full day of the cruise. The seas remain calm for our final trek to Tampa. Here's today's program.

DSC_0001_zps51557d0c.jpg

DSC_0002_zps79e9a52e.jpg

Until later.

Today we've gone to lectures, said goodbye to new friends and, worst of all, started packing. At least we don't have to worry about how much each piece of luggage weighs since we're driving tomorrow, not flying. Tonight we'll be having our last dinner onboard at the Pinnacle. Here're my last photos from around the ship.

imagejpg2_zps3e93af99.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc80b393c.jpg

imagejpg3_zps67268e6b.jpg

Until later.

Last night, we went to the Pinnacle Grill, which was the third time we ate at that dining venue during this cruise. If last night had been our first experience, it likely would have been our last. We arrived at 6:30 and finished our dessert, which was our third course, at 9:00. I also noticed some other tables where people were waiting a very long time between courses. DW made the comment she thought the wait staff was spread too thin. At one point, someone waiting to sit down lectured the maître'd because he was not greeted in a timely fashion. My thought was just wait and see what happens next. The maître'd was actually helping the wait staff do their job. The waiters were not slacking off - one literally would have been running if had been going any faster. I like my steak cooked more than most and expected it to be undercooked for me, but I didn't expect it to be truly rare. The last steak I had at the Pinnacle was cooked much closer to my taste and it didn't take nearly as long, even though the restaurant was more crowded.

Our luggage is gone and hopefully is waiting for us onshore. Our luggage tags are Green 1 with an anticipated departure time of 9:00-9:15. Hopefully, we'll be able to get our rental car quickly so we can begin our drive home. Still hard to believe our time on the beautiful Ryndam is up!

Until later.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help on the ship...I am learning how to post photos! Your blog is so complete and informative that I think you should post a review on the Member Review section ( I know you aren't shy about doing work! ) I loved this cruise and only had one real disappointment: the MDR fish. After several lukewarm, oily dishes of fish filet, I gave up. The lobster on formal night was superb, though.

I was in cabin 325 on lower promenade and loved the location so near the fore elevators and the quick exit onto the promenade deck. We discovered the hard way that walkers COULD see into our cabin when the lights were on. Still I think I would choose this Oceanview again.

I was not impressed with some of the cruise staff treatment of CC PEOPLE AND EVENTS AND WAS DISAPPOINTED THAT NO OFFICER ATTENDED OUR MEET N GREET ON Nov 2. Those caps were unintended. Perhaps we should be more humble, even though our group made up 10 percent of the passengers. I had especially poor service from the Events person, Amber. No chance of a book group venue or DVD showing of our movie. Thanks to Mike we used the Pinnacle Suite, which was super. The cabin crawl got rescheduled, too somehow.

Anyway, I love the Ryndam with its great service crew and fab library and really nice passengers! Your blog was a nice way to prepare for my Barcelona boarding...thanks so much!