Cabin up grade on Preziosa

EVERTON18

It's not something I've ever tried to do. I usually book the cabin I want.

If you do try it, please come back and let us know how you got on. I'd be very interested to hear if you were successful. I've been considering it for one of my upcoming trips as I can't get the cabin I'm looking for at the moment and have settled for a lower grade one.

Bytheway, enjoy your cruise no matter the cabin you're in.

Edited by Beamafar

A question for the seasoned MSC cruisers ..... Can I up grade on check in from inside to balcony stateroom,?we sail on October 18th.

Thanks in anticipation

I recently tried on the Divina, they said they were full, but they weren't. Our friends asked and they offered them a balcony at a hefty price. There was no upgrade fairy at time of boarding. I really can understand, they are handling so many people. You might get lucky and be changed prior to arriving. That did happen to me on the Poesia, only from inside to OV though.

None of my MSC cruises has been remotely full but there have always been signs on reception saying the ship is full and no cabin changes are possible. As has been said, they are so busy on changeover day anyway and if one person got an upgrade by asking, everyone would want one.

If you want a free upgrade, it is best to book an inside on a guarantee basis. One thing about modern ships is that there are relatively few inside cabins and a huge number of balcony cabins. Booking a random inside maximises your chances of an upgrade. If, however, you book a specific cabin, inside or otherwise, the line is highly unlikely to change it. People have all sorts of reasons for choosing their cabin other than the line's categorisation of it and the line knows not to interfere with that choice.

If you want to pay for an upgrade, arrange it in advance, not the on the ship. You will probably have to pay the difference between your original fare and the current fare for the new cabin plus an amendment fee.

If they can upgrade you on the ship, it is likely to be the most expensive way of doing it as you are literally captive by then.

Only once have I not booked an inside guarantee and only one of those times have I actually got an inside cabin. I have been lucky. The only time I got a balcony cabin however is when I booked it! I know of others who have received better upgrades but never have I heard of anyone who booked a specific cabin being moved except when disaster struck - a flood in one case, a broken window and a failed air-con - and you would not want any of those.

The golden rule is always book what you are happy to have, i.e. don't book an inside guarantee then feel agreived when that is what you get.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Never heard of upgrading at the port. Not also are they so busy, you will already have dropped your luggage off with the old cabin number on it.

They upgrade in advance, not that I've ever had one and I'm entitled to the best available upgrade as a Black card Member.

My sister in law got an upgrade on the Preziosa last week from an outside cabin to a balcony cabin. It was her sons birthday on the day we sailed so not sure if that had something to do with it? We found out a few days before the cruise when they sent the luggage tags.

On our cruise there was a sign at guest services stating that the ship was full.

With MSC they allow you to embark at several ports on the route. So the ship may not be full when it leaves Venice but that's not to say that the cabin will not be occupied when it arrives in Bari, Izmir, Istanbul etc.

Edited by martin43

My sister in law got an upgrade on the Preziosa last week from an outside cabin to a balcony cabin. It was her sons birthday on the day we sailed so not sure if that had something to do with it? We found out a few days before the cruise when they sent the luggage tags.

On our cruise there was a sign at guest services stating that the ship was full.

Had she chosen 1) a specific cabin no. at the time of booking and was subsequently re-allocated with an upgrade or 2) a category (and possibly 'experience') beforehand, essentially a 'guarantee booking' and was allocated to a cabin of a higher category than booked?

I have not heard of someone been upgraded from a specific cabin number without prior communication and alternatives being offered in advance. Hence the question.