Military discount: retired versus discharged?

sjb.illinois

I'm hoping someone with personal experience with this can help answer this question. I've read the fine print on the military rate, and it says active duty or retired. To verify/qualify, it states to submit documents verifying status etc. My husband is discharged, and of course has his DD214. Can someone verify if *discharged* status qualifies for the military rate?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you all so much for the quick replies!! My husband was Marine Embassy Guard for seven years, and I'm very proud of his service. We tend to never ask about military discount because, frankly, I usually feel those should go to active duty. But I just checked, and if we were to book at the military rate, we could go from OV to balcony for a little over $200. Yes please!!

I am wondering about this also. My husband qualified previously for the military discount as he was in the service for 3 years. Carnival has a copy of hid DD214 as we have used the discount. Whenever I sign in to my account, the military box is unchecked now even though in the past it used to be automatically on there with my VIFP number. In reading what is on the booking page, he wouldn't qualify, but what is on the web page, he would.

If I find a cruise with the military discount, I am going to call Carnival to find out if it really has changed. The cruises we have booked, don't have one at this time, so I haven't had to call yet, but I definitely will if I do a mock booking and find it is available.

Just a recommendation -- you should block out the Social Security No. before submitting the DD-14.

Our PVP has my husband's in our file, so whenever we do book Military Rate, we do not have to resubmit it.

Not just a recommendation. Exactly what they tell you to do. From Carnival's site:

BOOKING PROCEDURES:

* The military personnel must submit verification of eligibility for confirmed bookings.

* Verification of eligibility includes one of the following:

* Copy of the military LES (Leave and Earning statement) – provided the social security number is blackened out.

* Copy of military retirement papers (DD214 or DD256)

* Copy of proof of honorable discharge (Form DD214)

* Proof for Cadets: A letter from his/her Commander or a copy of a military paystub, provided the social security

number is blackened out.

I too, have used the Military Discount many times, with no problems. I served six years in the Marine Corps, and am a Vietnam Vet.

The Military Discount block isn't checked when I log on to check for a cruise on the Carnival site, even though I have used it before, and they do have copies of my DD214's on file. Guess that's the norm? :confused:

"SKY"