Sunset House/My Bar

Sparetiming

Hi ya'll, Can anyone tell me if they have been to Sunset House?

Can you just walk in and use the facilities?

We have our own snorkeling gear so is the resort open to the public?

How expensive and good is the food and drinks?

What would you recommend on the menu?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I've been there a couple of times off of a ship. We have our own gear as well, but stopped in at the dive shop to OK it with them that we use the facilities. They were fantastic and told us where to go, all about the "sea-pool" and some things to look for. They also let us know that since we stopped, and they knew we were there, that we could use their swimming pool as well. (Nice little bonus, although we only used it for a few minutes).

The food and drink are awesome....not to mention the atmosphere and view. We thought we'd go for a couple hours, and spent the entire day there. We had cold beer, soda and three or four appetizers and our total bill was about $60. Not bad for an entire day of eating, drinking and snorkeling.

It's a little bit of a walk, but worth it if you are spending the day. Be sure to stop in at the dive shop and let them know you are there. If you do so, facilities are free, although I would recommend purchasing some food and drink at MyBar.

Have Fun!!

menus at : http://www.sunsethouse.com/sea-harvest-restaurant/

you can order from the snack, dinner, or Indian menu at the bar all day IME

note: prices are in CI

so add 15% tip PLUS 20% conversion as $1 CI is $1.20 US (at the street rate ... and does not change; your US $20 bill is $16 CI)

a basket of conch fritters is $10 CI - $12 US

cheeseburger (comes with fries) $8.50 CI

fish and chips $11 CI

these prices are fairly typical for the island . . .

Would it be possible to catch a cab at tender drop off point to take you to My Bar and get another one to take you back later? Even it is only .8 mi walk but my DH has mobility problems and won't be able to walk that far. I know a lot of cabs don't like to take a short fares. Would we be better off staying close to the pier then?

Thanks

We went there several years ago. The walk was a bit far and as you got close the road was narrow with not a great place to walk. No problem snorkeling with our own gear and I think they rented gear too. Personally, I thought the snorkeling was better at Eden Rock which you pass along the way. But the food at My Bar was great - had a wonderful snapper dish there.

Edited by Lsimon

The walk is less than a mile . . . . 0.8 from the north/main tender landing using Google Earth to measure

on my last week long stay, we walked to town 4 nites for dinner . . . once the cruise crowds leave the roads are a piece of cake for walkers . . . but I've walked it on cruise stops too ... I think the speed limit around Sunset is 25 (?)

but not far .... takes us 12 minutes or so to get to Paradise or Guy Harvey's