Special Request Question in MDR - Told NOT AVAILABLE

kbalthaser66

We cruised on the Liberty in January 2013 with my nieces 14 y/o friend, who was extremely picky. Our waiter asked her what she wanted to see on the menu? She asked for Fettuccine Alfredo. He had it waiting for her every night from then on. sorry they could not help you. I'm sure it will be a hit or miss for each ship and wait staff. It is great when it happens, but I don't think you should just assume or get upset that you can get anything that you want that is not on the menu. sorry.

They just crumble bacon on top a Carnival. It should be easy enough to ask them to hold the bacon.

DSC_8014_Zyde.jpg

mine was definitely different than yours, tons of bacon on top, and tons of bacon mixed in (and possibly ham as well, there was a lot of meat in there)... it was AMAZING. I also took a picture of the menu and it said specifically, "noodles in a garlic, cheese, and bacon sauce." This was a few years ago though...

106.jpg

Edited by jetta8300

FYI People...

Carbonara is made with Eggs, Parmesan, and Pancetta/Bacon

Alfredo is made with Heavy Cream and Parmesan

Whether or not Carnival holds true to the classic recipes, I have no idea but you should take note - they are not the same.

FYI People...

Carbonara is made with Eggs, Parmesan, and Pancetta/Bacon

Alfredo is made with Heavy Cream and Parmesan

Whether or not Carnival holds true to the classic recipes, I have no idea but you should take note - they are not the same.

Correct. But I have never seen fettuccine alfredo on a Carnival ship. Trying to guess what else it might be.

Maybe they threw together some noodles, butter, milk and parmesan cheese or something. I swear my son got it when he was smaller, but he is 22 now so that would have been a few years back.

Correct. But I have never seen fettuccine alfredo on a Carnival ship. Trying to guess what else it might be.

The food in any main dinning room is mass produced, they are not set up to do made to order meals and serve the 1000's of guests a night that pass though there.

You are sailing on the wrong price point of cruise lines if you think they will make a special meal if you don't like whats on the menu

Thank you everyone who responded that was not RUDE or SNARKY. I greatly appreciated your responses. For those of you who care - I was not upset or bashing Carnival at all. I was merely looking to see if anyone else had ever asked for a special request to see what responses they received. I was only asking for a pasta dish with just plain sauce on it. I didn't care if it was Fettuccini or Alfredo just a basic plain noodle and sauce without all the seafood included. As I recalled in the past I was able to get a basic Fettuccini Alfredo or similar plain pasta dish every evening and I didn't know if this was something that had changed due to the new menus. As a previous poster stated that Princess serves Fettuccini Alfredo daily on their cruises I must have been thinking of that but thought it was Carnival.

For those of you that posted answers without being snotty about it - I greatly appreciate your responses and I learned a few things. I never thought of asking for a kids menu to see what basic plain pasta dishes they have listed. That was a great idea and I will certainly try that in the future. It seems like my stomach turns on me about halfway during the cruise because well, I do endulge in the fancy dishes and enjoying every bite I eat so it is very nice to be able to get just a plain basic pasta dish - don't really care what noodles or sauces are used.

Thank you all for the information about how to go about notifying them about my daughters Celiac issues. I must say Carnival really seems to have it down pat and that is why I love sailing with them.

Any carnival ship with a pasta bar, like the dream, should have Alfredo:) I never made a special request at dinner... But me and my family were offered a special dinner on the last night of our last cruise :) the chef was the same nationality as my wife and offered to make us one of her traditional dinners... Was really cool of them and it was really delicious...just dumb luck I guess...[emoji4]

Op, I here you. This was a major negative of my cruise (service overall was the big item lacking on Splendor everywhere, except for a few pleasant highlights, like the Seuss breakfast). The dining room doesn't do any requests, simple or special. Period. At least in YTD. Whether it was getting chocolate milk for a child (rather than iced tea, lemonade, or water - these seemed to be the only 3 responses the wait staff understood and responded to), getting a straw for a cup (this was like pulling teeth to obtain), getting a sliced banana as a child side (when there were bananas everyday available for the banana split - it took ordering a banana split with no ice cream on day 3 for the wait staff to finally realize they existed), or getting a different side on an adult meal (they never exchanged the side, they just brought the awful side and the extra requested one - a total waste of food since we'd ask to not get the extra one), well, I could go on, but instead I'll say that Carnival YTD dining staff really don't serve you - they just deliver the meal on the menu. Slowly.

Of my 4 cruises, it was the 1st time I did YTD. I won't do YTD again after this cruise b/c I'm hoping it was the YTD that gave me such bad service and not the actual normal dining staff mentality now.

Edited by TwoMisfits

Op, I here you. This was a major negative of my cruise (service overall was the big item lacking on Splendor everywhere, except for a few pleasant highlights, like the Seuss breakfast). The dining room doesn't do any requests, simple or special. Period. At least in YTD. Whether it was getting chocolate milk for a child (rather than iced tea, lemonade, or water - these seemed to be the only 3 responses the wait staff understood and responded to), getting a straw for a cup (this was like pulling teeth to obtain), getting a sliced banana as a child side (when there were bananas everyday available for the banana split - it took ordering a banana split with no ice cream on day 3 for the wait staff to finally realize they existed), or getting a different side on an adult meal (they never exchanged the side, they just brought the awful side and the extra requested one - a total waste of food since we'd ask to not get the extra one), well, I could go on, but instead I'll say that Carnival YTD dining staff really don't serve you - they just deliver the meal on the menu. Slowly.

Of my 4 cruises, it was the 1st time I did YTD. I won't do YTD again after this cruise b/c I'm hoping it was the YTD that gave me such bad service and not the actual normal dining staff mentality now.

Sounds like the $11.50 (now $12) per person per day automatic gratuity really ensured service for you that was above and beyond and exceeded all of your guest expectations.

Edited by Disconnections

The food is pre-plated so it should be no surprise that they will bring you an extra side but not substitute it for what is already on the plate.

Recently I ended up with a banana split with no banana. Yes, they told me about it. Did I complain or expect compensation? Heck no. Was it good? It was delicious! And I ordered an extra dessert. :)

DSC_1734_Zyde.jpg

Here is my question. I have sailed on Carnival many, many times and I have always been very happy with my dining experiences. I recently sailed on the Valor and found that they no longer offer "Fettuccini Alfredo". It was something that I was always able to order for either a main dish or as an appetizer. It appears that the menus have changed pretty significantly from when I last sailed on Carnival. I am a pretty basis food girl and I have a stomach that doesn't always agree with the seafood dishes and fancy beef sauces. I asked on night 3 if they could do a basic fettuccini alfredo dish for dinner and I was told "no". I asked if that was something that I could request for tomorrow night and again was told "no". Carnival has always had a basic plain pasta dish available anytime in the past that I have asked. Has anyone else run into the MDR not wanting to make a special request. I could understand if I was asking for something fancy but I was just wanting a plain basic pasta dish with no meat, etc.......

Am I missing something? Also, we are doing a family cruise in February and my daughter has Celiac Disease and cannot eat gluten of any kind. What do I need to do to make sure they have a menu available with the foods she can eat in the MDR ahead of time?

Thank you so much everyone.

The question I have did you ask if there was a plain pasta dish you could have, or did you ask for fettuccini alfredo. Cause if fettuccini alfredo was not on the menu for the days between ports they may not have had it on board to make. Which dosn't mean there might not had been somthing else you could have gotten.

I loved the old menu whee you could get the lasagna as a starter. Now there's no notation that pasta dishes could be served as starters

[URL=http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccruisequeen717/media/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg.html] [IMG]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz18/ccruisequeen717/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sent from my iPod

[quote name='kbalthaser66']Thank you everyone who responded that was not RUDE or SNARKY. I greatly appreciated your responses. For those of you who care - I was not upset or bashing Carnival at all. I was merely looking to see if anyone else had ever asked for a special request to see what responses they received. I was only asking for a pasta dish with just plain sauce on it. I didn't care if it was Fettuccini or Alfredo just a basic plain noodle and sauce without all the seafood included. As I recalled in the past I was able to get a basic Fettuccini Alfredo or similar plain pasta dish every evening and I didn't know if this was something that had changed due to the new menus. As a previous poster stated that Princess serves Fettuccini Alfredo daily on their cruises I must have been thinking of that but thought it was Carnival.

For those of you that posted answers without being snotty about it - I greatly appreciate your responses and I learned a few things. I never thought of asking for a kids menu to see what basic plain pasta dishes they have listed. That was a great idea and I will certainly try that in the future. It seems like my stomach turns on me about halfway during the cruise because well, I do endulge in the fancy dishes and enjoying every bite I eat so it is very nice to be able to get just a plain basic pasta dish - don't really care what noodles or sauces are used.

Thank you all for the information about how to go about notifying them about my daughters Celiac issues. I must say Carnival really seems to have it down pat and that is why I love sailing with them.[/QUOTE]

I wanted the duck pot stickers without mushrooms (allergic), but it was pre mixed, so I just ordered something else.

[URL=http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccruisequeen717/media/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg.html] [IMG]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz18/ccruisequeen717/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sent from my iPod

[quote name='andy.capitan']The food is pre-plated so it should be no surprise that they will bring you an extra side but not substitute it for what is already on the plate.

Recently I ended up with a banana split with no banana. Yes, they told me about it. Did I complain or expect compensation? Heck no. Was it good? It was delicious! And I ordered an extra dessert. :)

[IMG]http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalMiracleAK2014/7Ketchikan/9-16-2014-2/DSC_1734_Zyde.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I am so ordering a banana split. That looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk