Pre-tipping etiquette

Practical question-I plan on pre-tipping our room steward on our next cruise. Have never done it before, but I’m planning on asking for robes, ice, etc., so I figure it wouldn’t hurt. I will of course tip at least the suggested amount at the end. My issue is that I can’t figure out how to do it and what to say to get the point across that I’d appreciate I if he/she could accommodate my request and that more will be on the way at the end of the week. Every way I play it out in my head, I feel like a total snob, almost like I’m making people do tricks for cash.

There has to be a way to do this without coming across like that. Or is this a personal hangup of mine that only exists because I haven’t tried to pre-tip yet, that I just need to get over? How do you all handle pre-tipping, and what do you say?

DH and I pretip as much for ourselves as our steward. We don't have any requests, but it always seems that we've missed our steward on the last nite/morning, and don't get a chance to thank him. We usually give him $20 the first time we see him, telling him that this is just a little extra so that if he gets a chance to get off at the next port, he can do something fun for himself. The look of appreciation always does our heart good. It's always a great way for us to start off a 'feel good' cruise.

Michele

mspink98, The reasons you stated is why I never pre-tip. Many people do pre-tip, but I feel that it is poor taste for all the reasons you gave. I do ask for whatever I want and tip generously at the end. I have always gotten outstanding service. My requests for robes, ice , towels, extra pillows, etc have always been granted. It is, however, perfectly okay to tip when the steward goes out of his way for you. Bon Voyage

, I feel like a total snob, almost like I’m making people do tricks for cash.

When pretipping, I include a note that says we're looking forward to a great week, and look forward to them being a part of it. I'll tell him/her that we'll be charging our gratuities on our SeaPass, and realize that it takes extra time for them to get their $$$, but here's something to offset that inconvenience. I agree with joeyancho somewhat, and never tip as a means to "ask" for something. If we want something, we'll ask regardless!

We have always pre-tipped and have never once asked for anything extra. I always include $20.00 with a thank-you card to let them know that I appreciate the services that they will provide and if they are able to get off at one of the ports to have a burger on me. Everyone has always been extremely grateful and I am always glad to do it. I have never had anyone on any of my cruises that didn't deserve more than the customary tips suggested!

We always pre-tip and most always it is $20.00. After all they work for tips! and I think that it is a good pick me up for them. We all like a pat on the back and this is a good way to give them one. I know I always like it when bonus time comes around at work! and I think of giving them a tip at the start of the cruise as just that. We Always tip at the end and have always thought that they deserved the recomended amount and more.

When pretipping, I include a note that says we're looking forward to a great week, and look forward to them being a part of it. I'll tell him/her that we'll be charging our gratuities on our SeaPass, and realize that it takes extra time for them to get their $$$, but here's something to offset that inconvenience. I agree with joeyancho somewhat, and never tip as a means to "ask" for something. If we want something, we'll ask regardless!

This seems like the most tasteful plan. When you leave your cabin the first morning of your cruise, leave a little thank you note with such a message and the tip enclosed. That way you don't have to deal with any awkward moments.

If anyone has seen the movie Napoleon Dynamite, they will recall the scene where he gives the girl (I forget her name) a drawing, and on the back it says, "There's more where this came from if you go to the dance with me." Let's avoid coming across like that when pretipping!

If anyone has seen the movie Napoleon Dynamite, they will recall the scene where he gives the girl (I forget her name) a drawing, and on the back it says, "There's more where this came from if you go to the dance with me." Let's avoid coming across like that when pretipping!

That’s EXACTLY what I’m trying to avoid. I like the idea of leaving a note, and will probably try it that way.

Archived