Thomson Rome tour

Do you know if I book the tour with thomson, do you get into the sistine chapple and any other sites included in the price, they want £90 each for a full day tour, but looking closely , I think you need to pay extra to get in anywhere ?

Help

Muffinman:eek:

When we done the walking tour of Rome with Thomsons it included entry to the Sistine Chapel , it was a 10 hour walking tour , it was July 2011 , the wife has only just started talking to me again :-)

Edited by Iain1873

Lol:D Iain , I hope the tickets are included, as I think £90 is a rip off if all your seeing is the sights from outside, I could take the train to Rome myself and do that for 1/3 of the price, including Italian wine :rolleyes:,

Thanks mate

Alex

Do you know if I book the tour with thomson, do you get into the sistine chapple and any other sites included in the price, they want £90 each for a full day tour, but looking closely , I think you need to pay extra to get in anywhere ?

Help

Muffinman:eek:

Use you do get into the chapel but our tour with Thomson was a bit of a disaster! Don't believe all that crap about you won't have to queue - WE QUEUED FOR AGES - then the tour was so rushed didn't get chance to see hardly anything! Total ****!

All-afloaty :)

Use you do get into the chapel but our tour with Thomson was a bit of a disaster! Don't believe all that crap about you won't have to queue - WE QUEUED FOR AGES - then the tour was so rushed didn't get chance to see hardly anything! Total ****!

All-afloaty :)

I think it all depends on your guide,we not done the vatican city tour /sistene chapel with thomsons but in 2008 we did a tour of rome and the vatican with shearings coach holidays and the queue to get in the vatican was huge but our guide alexandro got us up to the front of the queue and in within 15 minutes and had a great tour of the vatican.by the way the sistene chapel is awesome.

queues are always huge for the basilica, you have to go thru security scanners and have your bags checked…it can take ages

there are more queues and security at the sistine chapel

this happens to all visitors not just thomsons groups

once inside it can be very crowded around some of the art/statues especially michelangelos pieta which is encased in bullet proof glass....you may not get to see too much?

guides use a whisper headphone/speaking system (to preserve the silence inside) so you dont always get to hear very much either?

there are street vendors outside (v v expensive €8 for a bottle of water!)

I took a rome walking tour with Thomson, a long, very hot day! We started at the colosseum where we bypassed the queues and then through the forum where we saw where Kenneth Williams did his famous 'in for me' speech. I also got to make my 'friends, romans, countrymen, lend me ten euros' speech. It must have been the heat - honest;) Luckily the artesian fed public drinking fountains are a life saver. Then on to the trevi fountain and then lunch plus shopping time. then back to the ship.

i think back then Thomson did two excursions, a religous one and a historical one.

I think thompson normally as a few Vatican tickets for sale on board to avoid the queues, when we booked rome in limo, we was advised to book our tickets on line before hand for the collusium and the vactican, glad we did as just walked straight in. The queues where really long for people buying tickets.

We did the 'Thomson on your own' transfer - we have done the train several times but elected to do the excursion so we could have longer in the city - otherwise we always feel the need to set off so early if we are using the train just in case of unforeseen delays. We bought our Colosseum tickets on-line (print your own) beforehand and just walked to the front of the queue. It worked well.

It might be worth investigating such an option for the Sistine Chapel - you can buy them with an audio guide included. But I would suggest you check out a number of sites as we found the costs varied quite a bit - also check out any restrictions on timings etc. we were able to get an 'open' ticket valid all day but others were a strict time slot - that was the colosseum. It could be diffeent for the Sistine Chapel. The 'On your own transfer' guide will walk you to St Peter's Square after the coach has parked - this is the pick up point too at the end. You could go straight to St Peter's and the Chapel directly from there.

It all depends if that is your main focus for the visit or if you want a tour to take you to other venues in the city too. But it is quite possible to walk around a lot of the main sites independently depending on your ability to walk - it's flat walking but you do cover some distance. An alternative to getting around is the Hoho - the pick up point is by St Peter's for that too.

Edited by kruzseeka