Navigation officer

Merrtime123

my son had a great experience making friends with the bride Crew of the Norwegian pearl on our July 6th cruise to Alaska . He wants to write a thank you letter to the woman who was chief navigation officer. He's 13 and she got him a bridge tour that has hime talking maritime career. We've tried everything to figure out who she was- his picture of the officers posted on the ship did not have her name under it. Any help would be appreciated.she was Panamanian

my son had a great experience making friends with the bride Crew of the Norwegian pearl on our July 6th cruise to Alaska . He wants to write a thank you letter to the woman who was chief navigation officer. He's 13 and she got him a bridge tour that has hime talking maritime career. We've tried everything to figure out who she was- his picture of the officers posted on the ship did not have her name under it. Any help would be appreciated.she was Panamanian

Very doubtful you will get any help on this. You could write to the Hotel Director or Captain (impersonally, since you don't know who is onboard at this time), and they may be able to forward the letter.

I am a 40 year merchant ship's officer and a graduate of the US Merchant Marine Academy, and I think that a maritime academy education is one of the best out there, but I would recommend that your son (and he's got a bit of time) do a lot more research on maritime careers than just talking to one cruise ship junior officer. While I wouldn't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for a career at sea, I can tell you that my family (wife and 3 grown sons) sacrificed for my career (missing holidays, birthdays, graduations) and it takes a special person to stay married to a mariner for 38 years.

I started posting here after my time with NCL as Chief Engineer, when there were many misconceptions about the Carnival Triumph fire. I've stayed here answering questions about how ships work. I would be glad to answer any questions you or your son would like to ask.

Sir, whoever you are, I deeply appreciate your service to Norwegian as a Chief Engineer. It takes very special people like yourself to are willing to give so much and miss so much for your career. Chief Engineer's are my very favorite staff members. As someone who is about to embark on her 21st Norwegian cruise, I have come to appreciate Chief Engineers. THANK YOU

chengkp75: I think synyc232 was asking Merrtime 123 if they could post a picture of The Pearl's Navigation Officer in case someone might know who she would be.

Merrtime123: I would suggest that your son write a letter to Norwegian's Corporate Office in Miami (7665 Corporate Center Drive, Miami, Florida 33126 giving them the details of your cruise, they will forward your letter to the ship's Captain. i have done it more than once and know it works.

Mandy

chengkp75: I think synyc232 was asking Merrtime 123 if they could post a picture of The Pearl's Navigation Officer in case someone might know who she would be.

Merrtime123: I would suggest that your son write a letter to Norwegian's Corporate Office in Miami (7665 Corporate Center Drive, Miami, Florida 33126 giving them the details of your cruise, they will forward your letter to the ship's Captain. i have done it more than once and know it works.

Mandy

I know. :p

chengkp75: I would love to know who you are. I love sense of humor. Do you know one of the Chief Engineer's for The Getaway, Oeystein Undrum? Your sense of humor equals his.

Mandy

Oystein and I worked together on the Norwegian Sky when he was training us for taking the ship over as the Pride of Aloha. He was Staff Chief at the time. Since I'm no longer with NCL, and just a cruising enthusiast now, I'd prefer to keep my anonymity.

He called the company and wrote a letter right away when he got home and sent it to the address you shared- he can be very determined. He has an uncle who attended the Coast Guard Academy so he has heard what academy life is like. His uncle ended up being a C-130 pilot for the CG so he was not out to sea - just stationed in remote Alaska. I grew up on Long Island so I am familiar with the Maritime Academy. We had a friend hook him up with a tour of Maritime.

He called the company and wrote a letter right away when he got home and sent it to the address you shared- he can be very determined. He has an uncle who attended the Coast Guard Academy so he has heard what academy life is like. His uncle ended up being a C-130 pilot for the CG so he was not out to sea - just stationed in remote Alaska. I grew up on Long Island so I am familiar with the Maritime Academy. We had a friend hook him up with a tour of Maritime.

Determination can be a good thing. Based on my experience with recent maritime (state and federal) graduates, the young people today are not really interested in the work required for a life at sea. Tell his uncle that while us mariners make fun of the "puddle pirates" and "knee deep navy" we are all extremely thankful for the orange stripe showing up over the horizon when the excrement hits the ventilation device. Special shout out to the SAR guys and gals flying the helos and Herky-birds.