NCL dropped from favorite internet agencies

General Max

The internet agency (that I will NEVER USE AGAIN!!!) but have my next cruise booked explained the reason why they dropped NCL:

Too many complaints to deal with due to the problems on the Hawaiian cruises.

They said that when NCL resolved their problems, they would start booking them again.

So I booked my Sept 4 cruise to Bermuda on the Majesty with my local warehouse store travel agency.

I would be delighted to let you know which agency I am angry at and will never use again, and why, if you want more details. I know that if I post either name here they will be removed...

makai 7, yes I had heard of numerous negative reviews about the Hawaii cruises, We are considering Hawaii in October 2006 and were considering doing a cruise as part of our trip. I will wait until next year to see if NCL cleans up its act.

Cheers

General Max

I've found that my internet agency no longer shows NCL on their website, but will give me a quote over the phone and I generally book that way. Of course I first check for the best price on the internet and then they beat it. :D

As someone who has been in the business for many years off and on, I can pretty much guarantee you agencies rarely drop providers, normally it is visa versa. The reviews back lately from those cruising Hawaii, are good or very good for the most part. As for agencies not using certain providers I can think of only 2 situations where this would be the case: 1-the cruise or tour company was not paying the commissions 2-the company was so close to going belly up the agency would choose to stay clear. BTW, the second situation would be very rare. this is not saying, never would an agency stop using a company, but I know of none. What NYcruiser said does happen. We all represent all lines, but some we are not as apt to push or promote. Hope this helps a little.

NMNita

the "act" has been cleaned up, and as someone in the travel business, i assure you, what that big "initialed" agency told you as their reasoning was COMPLETELY false. NCL axed them, not the other way around.

I had used that online broker in the past. I remember the conflict. They had survived on advertising the lowest price and when NCL changed the the rules on what fares could be advertised the two went to war. Agency lost no more NCL for them.

the "act" has been cleaned up, and as someone in the travel business, i assure you, what that big "initialed" agency told you as their reasoning was COMPLETELY false. NCL axed them, not the other way around.

This sounds much more plausable than the internet agency 'dropping' NCL.

Thanks for the input. I think I will still wait before booking NCL for hawaii until next year. I also in the meantime have been reading some bad reviews on the Pride of America. e.g. long meal times; 1 1/2 to 2 Hrs.; less than adequate service; dirty staterooms etc.

I hope these are isolated occurances and are quickly rectified when brought to ship management attention.

Cheers

General Max

Question - When did 1.5 to 2.0 hours meals become long. It was always 2.5 hours between early and late seating and many nights we had to wait for the early folks to clear out before we got in for the late seating.

I agree... two hours is a nice relaxing dinner... If I want to be rushed through a meal, I can eat at a fast food joint. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the company and food. Personally I don't mind a little bit of time between courses.

Question - When did 1.5 to 2.0 hours meals become long. It was always 2.5 hours between early and late seating and many nights we had to wait for the early folks to clear out before we got in for the late seating.

I believe many who say this try to use it as an example of why freestyle is bad. Of course, they hope that you haven't looked at the threads on traditional dining of bad tablemates, and tablemates who are always 30 minutes late causing all others at the table to wait for service or experienced it yourself.

I can have fun on any cruise. I sail by ships and itineraries that interest me, not by cruise lines. But for those that believe one cruise line is superior because of the style of service, do everyone a favor and stay with that cruise line. Trying another with that type attitude will probably reduce your enjoyment. It doesn't matter if they don't go where you would like to, you got the style you want.

Certain "chain" agencies have agreements in place to do business with preferred vendors only. I know of a Nation-wide chain that will not sell NCL, the local office refers their customers to my agency and as I am a cruise only agency I send my land business to them. That could also be part of the reason why they no longer list them.

Archived