Seamiles Redemption

sthrnbelle

We have the Barclays Carnival Fun Points card and are planning to cash in all of the points we have and then cancel the account. Yes, we know this card is awful, its why we want to cancel it. We've redeemed points for a free cruise before and I had no trouble with booking or following up with the TA as needed. Hopefully that will be the case again. My question is that we have a little less in points than is needed to pay the full cruise of one passenger so I'm wondering what my best option is? Will they let me pay for one traveler with the card, getting double the points for the carnival purchase, allowing me to then use those points to book the free cruise for the second traveler? Or am I better off just charging the cruise for both of us, using the card for S&S, and then applying the points to the balance of the card? If I do the latter, how do points translate to $'s?

One point= 1 Dollar so you need 60,000 points to get 600 Dollars off your cruise. You'll get double points only if you book a cruise or buy something on the ship but sometimes they will give specials. I think you have to redeem your points at the time of booking then start over again that is what I was told. Once I redeem my points I will cancel the card also it is a terrible program.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

With the funpoints just pay as much as you have points for (as long as it is at least the deposit) with your card and then redeem them. For instance, when I booked our upcoming cruise for our family of 4 the total was $2586. I had enough points to cover $2000, so I paid the $2000 and redeemed for the points as soon as the transaction posted and got the $2000 credited back to my account almost immediately. I happed to like the card. If you make a payment of $1500 you need 100,000 points, the same as if you would have paid $1000. The first time I used my points I booked a room that was $1244 for an obstructed view balcony. If I would have book a much nicer room I would have used fewer points. I had booked it before they had the calculator on the website.

We have the Barclays Carnival Fun Points card and are planning to cash in all of the points we have and then cancel the account. Yes, we know this card is awful, its why we want to cancel it.

Why do you believe the card is awful? I've found it to be a pretty decent card. No annual fee and I've gotten cash back using my points multiple times. So I'm sort of curious as to why you would want to get rid of it. They even give you your credit score free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Personally I love the card. Thus far I have had two free cruises. No annual fee, earn points for everything you buy and double points for cruises then you can pay for the cruise and get the credit on the statement. Love it

Why do you believe the card is awful? I've found it to be a pretty decent card. No annual fee and I've gotten cash back using my points multiple times. So I'm sort of curious as to why you would want to get rid of it. They even give you your credit score free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I guess you have to look at how much can be put on the card being single if I put 500 dollars on the card per month that is a real good month. Some one said on their post that they had 100,000 points on the card, it would take me decades to get that many points on my card. If it works for you that's fine.

Gary

My mom just got the card. We put everything on it - gas, groceries, whatever and just pay the bill in full every month. We are booked on a cruise for July and so far have only paid the deposit and FTTF. We have over 7000 points. Hopefully if we keep this up, we'll have accumulated enough for a decent statement credit.

We have the Barclays Carnival Fun Points card and are planning to cash in all of the points we have and then cancel the account. Yes, we know this card is awful, its why we want to cancel it. We've redeemed points for a free cruise before and I had no trouble with booking or following up with the TA as needed. Hopefully that will be the case again. My question is that we have a little less in points than is needed to pay the full cruise of one passenger so I'm wondering what my best option is? Will they let me pay for one traveler with the card, getting double the points for the carnival purchase, allowing me to then use those points to book the free cruise for the second traveler? Or am I better off just charging the cruise for both of us, using the card for S&S, and then applying the points to the balance of the card? If I do the latter, how do points translate to $'s?

If you put $1500 towards the cruise then you can get 1$1.50 per point to go toward that payment. If you have 60000 points you can just go in and take a $900 credit toward your statement. If your cruise is less than $1500 you will only get $600 for the 60000 points. I will be getting a $1500 credit for 100,000 points at the end of the month. I'm sure there are cards out there you can do a little better on but I like the fact their is no annual fee and when you do the $1500 it works out pretty good.

Also if you go to the cards site and then link to stores on there you can get a lot more points for on line purchases. I have seen like Best Buy on there for 5 points per dollar spent. I just have trouble remembering to do that all the time but it is a way to get more points for your purchases.

The main complaints seem to be:

The points expire when they turn 5 years old, other cards do not have expiry dates on the points.

1:1 ratio can be beat by other cards.

I like my card although it may not be "the best" around.

when it was juniper, had the travel agency associated with it

so you called the agency and paid for the cruise with points or a combo, so it sounds like the original poster had the card that far back?

we had the old card before Barclays and it never seemed to work out for us to use the old system and cruise on carnival, the reason, my wife and I had several different discounts we might qualify for, so, the spend a ton of points and get 500 bucks off the cruise seemed to be the route we wanted to take

the reason was, we figured we'd never have enough points for a freebie, also when we got the card and it was at the very beginning they advertised all kinds of freebie cruises for it seemed just 20k 30k or whatever points - so by the time we got 15k 20k or whatever that same kind of cruise was priced at 40k or 50k points!!!!:mad:

so when we went looking for carnival cruises, the 500 dollar discount was always from about a 3-400 dollar higher price base, hence we didn't want to spend a bucket of points to save maybe 150 bucks!

what we did was burn all our old points( seamiles ) on two NCL cruises where we actually did SAVE 500 bucks each on the cruises, back then you could book hotels, airlines, cruises on about any line.....

today, with Barclays, as far as I know you only can use the points for statement credit, but you can burn them for hotel stays and such, but the rate on hotels is worse than the cruise redemption rate!!! TAKE NOTE OF THIS

all you gotta do is click on partial redemption to see what kind of charges you are eligilble to offset, just don't actually click a choice unless you are sure that's what you want to do

you can burn points to pay towards princess carnival and other ccl corp cruises and many hotel charges to your card

the redemption rate for carnival is 50 dollars for 5000 points, it does not go up until you can spend 100,000 points, so if you have 60k you cannot get 900 dollar credit, only 600

the magic number is 100k points at that level you can burn 100k points for a 1,500credit, but you gotta remember there has to be a single 1,500 dollar charge or more in a single transaction to be able to use that credit all at once!

a poster upthread said they had booked like a 2,500 set of rooms as one charge and redeemed their points for 2000 of credit, so they probably had around 133,000 points

currently we have about 80k and Im waiting to hit that 100k mark myself - I have redeemed 5k and 10k plenty of times but wish I had held off, Id have 100k now

:)

• 2 months later...
Question for you masters at redeeming fun points. We have 190,000 fun points. We have an Alaska cruise booked 2537.00. What is the best way to maximize the value of the fun points.

I would charge the whole $2537.00 and you should be able to apply for a statement credit for the whole amount using roughly 170,000 points.

I would charge the whole $2537.00 and you should be able to apply for a statement credit for the whole amount using roughly 170,000 points.

This is what my hubby and I always do, just charge everything and get the double points and then pay statement with all your points then your done with all your points and pay any remaining balance if you have one.