What color is YOUR formal?

[size=4]Spicey, I'd say that dress could go either way (great dress!!!). If you're in a shopping mood, I'd say wear it for a less formal night and buy a new formal!;) But DO take the dress, it's really pretty on you!:D [/size]

Gosh, it's great to see not everyone is wearing basic black! For the first formal night, I have a champagne colored gown. The second formal night is your basic black palazzos, but I'll be looking for a new top before my next cruise that has some color (I used to wear a red and black one, but it's kind of worn out now).

4Cruisers, thanks for the advice! I was kind of thinking that about that dress. It is very low cut in the front, and since I am not too large chested I can get away with it and not be "in your face" about it. I will definitely bring it along and perhaps try to find something a little more glamorous for the formal nights. I think it is hard, be it my age or my tastes, because I don't feel comfortable in a 'prom' type dress or in something too beaded at my age. I think it is the result of growing up on The Gap and only wearing black and solid colors!:) Thanks again!

You're welcome! It's not just your age, believe me! I'm 48 (next week:p ) and it's hard for my age group too. I was finding that many dresses have that "Mother of the Bride" look that is so NOT me! Just when I gave up, I found one at Nordstrom for under $100! Champagne with clear crystals across a drapey neckline and long skirt with a bit of a trumpet in the back on the hemline. So fun to have something new, dressy, and so me!!! Look at this website for fun!

[url="http://www.cybernetplaza.com/browse.asp?cat={0CB2F03F-339A-40BF-8F33-5428C836B989}&pg=1&order1=New&order2=title&option=&view=0"]http://www.cybernetplaza.com/browse.asp?cat={0CB2F03F-339A-40BF-8F33-5428C836B989}&pg=1&order1=New&order2=title&option=&view=0[/url]

Nanette:)

Great site, 4Cruisers!! I also like [url]www.edressme.com[/url], they have a really different selection, wonderful customer service (free returns), and I saw a thing about them on 48Hours that it was a single-Mom start up. Gotta support that!
I hear you about some of the formal stuff out there, not only sometimes is it not age-appropriate, but personal taste-appropriate!

Here is a question that I asked on my Roll Call board...
Can I get away with a black pantsuit, stilettos, and a sparkly top on formal night? It definitely looks polished, just not "formal" enough maybe?
Also, is a short dress acceptable on formal night? Maybe something right above the knee? I am guessing once I get on there and see what other people are wearing, it will be that old adage of "who cares what everyone else is wearing if YOU know that YOU look good and it shows in your confidence!".

Thanks!

I think it depends on the material of the pantsuit. If it's a dressier fabric and you choose a really sparkly top ( sequins, etc) and hot it up--go for it. I'm 52 and also have a hard time finding just the right outfit. No prom styles for me, I'm too busty for some styles, WAY too young for others! Actually I have a number of things to choose from for my Dec cruise. I'm still deciding which to take. BTW, I have a beautiful, outgoing daughter (29) whom I've finally gotten to try something less conservative. The Gap has a lot to answer for!

Hi ASM,

I agree about The Gap, it has made a lot of people around my age very conservative! I am trying, though!:)

The pantsuit is a Tahari jacket which is like that normal black matte polyester material (not linen or cotton) that stays black and clean looking. The pants, well, they have started as Tahari, but over the couple years of having the suit I have had to buy bigger pants, so the size 8 jacket has size 6,8, and 10 pants to go along!;) I think it is very classy and with a nice cute top would totally look appropriate. I have worn it to 2 weddings (formal) and felt fine and even though the other girls were wearing dresses, I can say that I looked more 'together'. I am definitely going to bring it, but I am also going to be doing lots of shopping in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks for your help!

I found a [size=4][color=red]vavavavoooom red dress[/color][/size], floor length, fitted, fish tail hem that I'm going to go back and buy tomorrow. (Cruise is Nov. 27 on the Caribbean Princess).

I have a black satin knee length pencil skirt with a black and cream printed silk chiffon halter top that I am going to wear (I think) for the other formal night. The outfit is more 'cocktail dress' than formal, but fits the cruise ship description for what to wear on formal night. The red dress is very formal.

Jen

What a great website! Beautiful and very sexy dresses!!! Makes me want to go on a diet!!! Oops, too late for our Aug. cruise!:eek:

Spicey, with your darling figure, I think you need to wear a great little dress for formal night!!!! This is your almost 48 year old CC friend talking here! Take advantage of your wonderful figure and age and don't wear the pant suit! I KNOW it must look lovely too, but you'll have years later (if you end up with some pre-menopausal fluff like I have) to wear the conservative look...and wear it well with the right fabulous accessories, I might add;) ).

Take that "formal" opportunity and enjoy those cruise pictures for years to come!

Jen, I bet in your red dress, you'll be a knock-out!!!! Enjoy!!!!!:)

Archived