What color is YOUR formal?

I have 3 formal dresses. 1 in black which I will be wearing on our May cruise b/c it is the largest of the 3. icon_frown.gif I have been in a leg cast since April 8 so gained a few pounds since cant use the treadmill 5 times a week.) But the other 2 are Periwinkle blue, & mint green. The periwinkle is my favorite & so sexy but wont be wearing it this time.

Oh well, just one more reason to book another cruise once the ankle heals! icon_biggrin.gif Will be cruising this time with my bledsoe boot on, which is a huge black boot with 5 velcro straps to hold it on. At least it will match my black formal dress. icon_cool.gif Still trying to find a shoe to wear on the other foot that is the same height as the bledsoe boot.

First time cruisin!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until Carnival Fascination 5/21/04 Bahamas

I guess I am being boring by bringing a long black gown that has a rhinestone buckle on the belt and the halter part if black with sparles on it. I couldn't beat the price at dillards for $26! I also have a short black dress with spagetti straps from Marshall's for $7. couldn't pass that one up either! But I did by a silk deep orangish red shorter dress with gold appliques at the higher waist so I guess that's a little different. I'm trying to find gold metallic shoes to go with that one. What do you all think about fuschia silk shantung slip on heels with the black short dress or should I stick with black? Such decisions!

mertensmk, love the idea of the fuschia shoes with a black dress, what a great POP of color.

It would be better, I think, if you had something else fuschia too. An evening bag? A shawl? Jewelry?

All of the above? icon_razz.gif

T

• 1 month later...

I'm so boring. Virtually all of my formal clothes are basic black. I do have a gold brocade jacket and a silver satin twin set (sleeveless shell, jacket) from Talbots (but I usually wear them with a black satin skirt!) and I've got a deeeeeeep blue formal skirt (that I wear with a black beaded top!), but almost everything is black. I try to choose separates for formals because I think they look better on me, and right now I'm looking now for the palest-of-pale icy pink formal top and also a white one. I'm trying!!!!

Geez.... I have a lot of them it seems... of course I can't fit into very many of them right now. ;) I just got back from a cruise last month where I gained 7 pounds!

#1- Red, full length, long sleeved, beaded with austrian crystals (from Miss TX USA Pageant, was size 2... maybe next year <fingers crossed>)

#2- Black, full length, side split, long sleeved, illusion net at top, turtleneck band at neck, and french cuffs.

#3- Dark Green, knee length, high neckline, small rhinestone pin on back where straps come together.

#4- Black velvet, floor length, fishtail/mermaid train, halter style, silver beading in the neckline.

#5- Lavender, tafetta/organza overlay with some beading on the top, full length, a-line, skirt, and matching wrap.

#6- Nude, stretch lace, off the shoulder, 3/4 length sleeves, knee length

#7- Spagetti strapped, knee length, with Nude color netting over pale blue fabric, with purple, gold, and iridescent beading melted into netting (sounds weird, but very cool, and very Mardi Gras-like)

#8- Nude/Beige Satin, Halter top, knee length, with a pearl pin at waist (very Marily Monroe)

#9- 2 different black knee length dresses, one with some black beading, one without beading.

No, I don't bring all of them, but I've just accumulated them over the years from pageants, parties, and cruises. I think it is nice to have many to choose from and it's always nice to have them in different sizes for my all too often fluctuating weight.

Natalie

About a year ago my best friend moved to NC. I laughingly told her I was just as upset about HER moving as her gorgeous black beaded long dressy top that I always borrowed for my second formal night on cruises. So, she and I went shopping and found me two fabulous dressy pantsuits in champagne crepe with a "burnout" long chiffon jacket/coat. I also got a silver satin pantsuit with a silver knit jacket with wide satin banding on the lapels.

I also have my black and gold velvet dress with jacket, my navy beaded dress, and my purple velvet top with matching brocade pants.

I've never been an all black evening wear person. I'm blond and black washes me out, so I have to put some color in the outfit somewhere.

I can't help it but I love black for formals. I think black is both elegant and sexy. I am, however, also wearing a purple gown. I've been told many times that purple compliments me and I like the color. I really feel that you should wear whatever looks the best on you and gives you confidence regardless of the color!!

Gowns.... not me! I have had it with foot-torturing shoes and ill-behaved pantyhose. Plus I have gradually put on more weight than I'd like, so finding flattering gowns that aren't "mother-of-the-bride" styles is hard. So I have found some beautiful formal (black) pants outfits and some fairly comfortable low shoes. I have a black sequined cocktail dress I am taking on our upcoming cruise, but only because I have no where else to wear it; seems like a waste to get rid of it. I will put up with the pantyhose for just the one night. :rolleyes:

Isn't life just too hard to bear sometimes?? :D

For our cruise I think I am going to pack my platinum/silver color strapless gown, a red one I have which is really pretty, and a black one which is very elegant. We are going on a 12 day cruise and there are 3 formal nights, my favorites, I love dressing up.

I have a long black velvet, long black crepe with gold swirls, black beaded cocktail length, black crepe cocktail length with a line of black rhinestones around the neckline (very vintage looking in a modern way,) a cranberry jacket beaded with black, a black and gold beaded jacket. I am probably taking my long navy georgette tank style dress with chiffon overblouse that is accented with a few subtly beaded flowers and has bell sleeves and for the second night-- a sleeveless black beaded blouse and black georgette skirt.

Not a lot of exciting color, but nice jewelry and colorful shawls brighten things up!

For cruises near Christmas, I have a long dark green velvet, and a short dark red velvet dress.

For others, a full bronze taffeta skirt with a sequined top, or a full lenght periwinkle jacketed formal, or a long black skirt with choice of tops.

Looking for one more, for as we cruise more, I am wanting more variety. ONLY buy on sale... Dillards has some great sales... long formal dresses marked down to under $40.

I have several formals.. one, that I have yet to get to wear, is a full length purple and gold sequin gown with a slit up the front and a matching jacket.. I have some strappy gold heels to wear with it.. sounds tacky but it is beautiful.

http://www.discountdressesonline.com/images/94sa552.tmp.gif (looks like this one but the silver is gold on mine)

I have one that is a tux look, little tux bolero jacket, tux shirt and long black skirt with a slit up the front and I have some killer shoes to go with it.

I also have sequin tops to wear with black skirts or pants, black dresses, and a few others I think, along with about 10 pair of formal shoes depending on the outfit.

2122_42678_dt.jpg

What do you think? I just love this outfit!!!

Details:Two-piece pant set

Simple, stunning sparkle top and georgette carwash pants. Flocked flower detail adorns the top. Back-zip entry and side slits. Fluid pants have flat front and back-zip and hook closure.

Store: Chadwicks

Price:$69 Petite sizes and $59.99 Misses sizes

2136_54381_dt.jpg

Shoes: Satin slingbacks.

Lustrous satin on a graceful 3” heel. Perfectly complements all our dressy styles. Whole and half sizes, 6-11 (no 10½).

Same store @ $25

I have a formal set sorta like that..

I have had shoes like that too and tossed them. Killed my feet with that strap across the back forcing my foot forward into the shoe.

They are cute.

The tag on my new formal dress said the color is watermelon! I hated the color untill i tried it on and then i fell in love. The best part was that it was originally $150 and i got it for $25!!! Don't forget to check the clearance racks, you never know what you are going to find there!

My favorite formal is actually a red satin, strapless, pretty simple, classic number, with a flared bottom to the floor. Have a wrap that goes with it. Looks great against a black and white tux!

I do have a couple of black ones, however...it's just that when I go formal shopping, it's hard to find a color I like, or a dress that looks good on me once I find a color I like. I think at this point it's just a numbers game; there are more black dresses PRODUCED to choose from.

[quote name='goldielocks1017'] Don't forget to check the clearance racks, you never know what you are going to find there![/QUOTE]

I know what you mean!!! I have been looking for dresses for quite sometime! I found 2 at Dillard's a couple weeks ago for 70% off! Spent less than 90 bucks on two formal dresses.

Only problem...one is full length sequined...multiple colors of blues & greens. My husband thinks it looks like a mermaid dress!! I would have never tried it on but my mother was with me and encouraged me! I LOVE IT! Does this sound too over the top for our cruise in September?? I still have the tags on it incase I decide it is too "Acadamy awardish" :eek: (note: I am no spring chicken...!! :D ) Any thoughts??

Thanks for your input!

rlbissett,

Your dress sounds perfect for a cruise to me! As long as you love it and feel like a million bucks in it, who cares what anyone else says. Besides, what better time than on a cruise to be a mermaid?! I say you wear that dress with confidence and have a wonderful time!:) Anyway, how often do you get to get all dressed up, you might as well do it right!:D

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=seagreen]Well, I finally decided to deviate from the normal "black" formal attire on our next cruise. I purchased a lovely ice pink dress with pearl buttons up the back, satin material, floor length, somewhat mermaid fitting, with a little train off the back. It really looks darling. But I have to lose an inch in my hips for it to fit comfortably. On our last cruise I began seeing other women wearing colors other than black. :p [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font]

THANK YOU Goldielocks1017 for your encouraging reply!! I think I am going to take your advice and be brave and bold and wear that mermaid dress! :D Just was a little afraid of being overdressed...not sure what to really expect formal nights to be like. :)

Lexi

I have one that's strapless and ankle-length in light pink.

My other is floor length (just above the feet in front and with almost a little sweep train in the back) in navy blue silk. Its got spaghetti straps and a sort of drapy look in front. I'm 5'9", so I'm amazed at how long it is on me with heels on!

I am going on the 8/14 Caribbean Princess and I was wondering if this dress was maybe not formal enough? And, in the same question, is it perhaps too formal for the "casual" nights? Mr. Spicey and I are both 27, and actually this photo was taken last summer... I have another basic black dress that is about the same length, with a skinny-strap boatneck (like Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc...). I am all for getting new dresses, but I just wanted to see if I could use this old reliable!

Thanks!

Natalunia, I want your number two dress! My visual of it is stunning!

A current favorite is my spagetti strap "coka-cabana" dress...the color is ashy-looking greyish black on the outside and cream on the inside. The hanging breastline and the giant slit up the left leg show the inside cream color. The slit has extra material (not a straight slit). The length in front is calf and the length in back is ankle.

I can tango, disco, or techno in it all night long!

Coka

Archived