Delta going Bankrupt?

kybill

We're going on the Radiance on September 24, 2005 to Hawaii, we booked air fare through RCCL on Delta. Should Delta belly up will RCCL be responsible for us or are we on our own?

Ideas or comments please.

Bill

If you booked your air with RCCL, they will make sure that you fly on another airline if anything happens at Delta. We have used the cruise lines air many times and have never had a problem. There were times we had to use two different airlines for one cruise, but it was always hassle free with no problems. Schedule changes, and or plane size changes (which affects the seating) were because of the airlines and not the cruise lines. We always got to the ship on time.

And here is my luck.......Flying Northwest in September to New Orleans......Delta in November to Fort Lauderdale..........figures. On the news right now they are saying if you are flying on a cruise this weekend......pay the extra $100 to go out tomorrow....before the strike. Living near Detroit with a major NW hub....I would probably take that advise.

You know I had the luxury of flying SONG from Orlando to LAX a few weeks ago and I must say that I was very impressed. After working for jetblue for soo long and being taught NO NO NO SONG I will for sure pay to fly them again. In my opinion they are much better than jetblue, but I guess they are still DELTA:)

Tim

After working for jetblue for soo long and being taught NO NO NO SONG I will for sure pay to fly them again. In my opinion they are much better than jetblue,

That's interesting Tim. Once we flew on JetBlue, we decided that if JetBlue flies to where we're going, we wouldn't be flying anyone else. Earlier this year, after driving to JFK to fly JetBlue, our experience was so fabulous, I wrote to the airline telling of how everything was incredible, except...they needed to start flying out of EWR. Then, just a few weeks ago they announce they are! We already have reservations for our next trip.

While every airline (even the discounters) are raising their fares because of fuel prices, JetBlue is still half the price of the least expensive carrier for when/where we're flying.

Our motto is NO NO NO {fill in any airline} if JetBlue goes there.

Howard

You know I had the luxury of flying SONG from Orlando to LAX a few weeks ago and I must say that I was very impressed. After working for jetblue for soo long and being taught NO NO NO SONG I will for sure pay to fly them again. In my opinion they are much better than jetblue, but I guess they are still DELTA:)

Tim

Are all Jetblue workers disgruntled? Funny story-I was booking our flights for next December. I got a price of $165 rt from Song and JetBlue was coming up over $200 online. I called Jetblue directly and spoke to a CSR about pricing. When I told her the price I got on Song, she said "book it" we don't usually see a price lower than $185 for that route.

My experience with flying Song from Boston to Orlando was so possitive, they were the first airline I looked at for our Explorer Cruise this October. I did look at Jet Blue, but there flight times and prices were not as good. As for Song, I found the flight smooth, the plane comfortable, the flight crew courteous and the video/audio entertainment all great. Delta should scrap 'Delta' and become Song. Bet they'd do much better. BTW, I have no allegience to any particular airline as I fly based on schedule and price.

For their survival, some of the legacy airlines are having to copy the business plans of the low cost carriers. They just weren't competitive and now it's survival. Yes Delta will file Chap 11 and probably in the next 4 to 8 weeks. Their debt load is overwhelming. They did find someone to buy one of their subsidiary feeder airlines but will have limited effect on their condition.

But filing Chapter 11 has very little visible short-term effect on passengers. United has been in Chapter 11 for a long time. Granted service isn't great, but it wasn't that good before filing.

People should not panic when an airline goes into Chapter 11 (although stockholders will probably get hurt). In some ways, it can help as they have some financial protection for a while. The worries should start after a lengthy period with no improvements in the financial condition.

I have a lot of Delta miles in my account that I plan to use over the next 18-24 months. I have a fairly high confidence that they will be around at least that long.

I know all about schedule changes. Since we booked our flights for our Alaska cruise in two weeks (OK, I admit I booked really early since I used miles), they have changed the aircraft type twice and made 3 time changes. Fortunately, none have been drastic, but still each time it messes up things and I have to go back and rescue our seat assignments.

But you're right, it could get more drastic with cancellations/consolidation and some cities even losing service altogether.

One thing in my favor is that I plan on one transatlantic flight. Those are more profitable and likely to be a little more stable. But I've flown a LOT with Delta (and Eastern) so I understand the system and watch things pretty close.

As for Jetblue, we have not flown them so my opinions are based on what others have said, but I have heard nothing but very positive remaks about the line; now as far as Delta, any idea how many time America West has done the same and what about NW, United and US Air? We all know one of these days some of the top liners will be no more, but I wouldn't worry to much. of course there may be schedule changes and some interuptions which isn't what any of us want when starting our vacation, yet everything will work out. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. NMNita

Newmexiconita. It's interesting where the legacy carriers find themselves today. The top 3 domestic airlines for service in 2004 are JetBlue, AirTran and Soutwest. None considered a legacy carrier although SW has been a profitable business for thirty years plus. When price is comparable I choose to reward those that have improved the business and not those that are failing. JetBlue and AirTran have the youngest fleet of planes in the business and overall provide great service and instead of reducing service, flights, etc., are infact adding new planes and cities served. They are probably the legacy airlines of the future as we loose one or two of the old legacys. Businesses come and businesses go.

[ And here is my luck.......Flying Northwest in September to New Orleans......Delta in November to Fort Lauderdale..........figures. On the news right now they are saying if you are flying on a cruise this weekend......pay the extra $100 to go out tomorrow....before the strike. Living near Detroit with a major NW hub....I would probably

I have the same problem trying to fly NW from Detroit to Vancouver on 9-10.

Hardly any other options if they can't get me there. Just have to hope for the best!!

Delta keeps changing our flight times for our October cruise. This time they left us with a 19 minute layover in Atlanta. I called to complain and they actually said they thought I could make it. I started laughing and then asked about my bags and the fact they close their flights 10 minutes before departure. They then sent me to the reissue department that tried to charge me the 50.00 change fee for the wife and I. Long story short...no charge and now have a 3 hour layover in Atlanta...oh well.

Me again. Because of problems with connecting flights in and out of my home airport, I now choose to drive 2 hours and fly non-stops out of Logan. This way I know my luggage will arrive with me. I also check my flight times right up to the flight.

Me again. Because of problems with connecting flights in and out of my home airport, I now choose to drive 2 hours and fly non-stops out of Logan. This way I know my luggage will arrive with me. I also check my flight times right up to the flight.

Rich we live about 20 miles south of Boston and often fly out of TF Green in Providence (only about a 40 minute ride). The cost to park at Logan is nuts and with the Big Dig, getting in and out was no picnic. As a matter of fact, when we do fly out of Logan, we usually hire a limo. It doesn't cost much more than parking!

Flying Delta ATL - FLL on 9-16-05 and returning on 9-24-05, and not worried at all. Now, Northwest...that's another issue. Bankruptcy and strikes are two different animals! I just received this e-mail today from my agency:

"Good Morning All!

A friend of Carla's who works for Northwest highly suggest that we refrain

from booking anyone on Northwest

for a least the next week. Northwest has already cancelled a hundred flights

due to the pending strike.

Please also watch those codeshares on Delta and Continental, that are really

Northwest planes."

Just an FYI!

Soxfan5, glad to see the soxfan was for the red, not the white. We have Manchester Airport on the north side and I usually check them along with Logan and Portland. All things being equal, I prefer them over Logan. There is a park/stay/fly hotel in Revere that is reasonable.

OT, going to try to get tickets to see the Seadogs with their Sox prospects play on Tuesday. Where they play is about 5 minutes from here. Hopefully will get a chance to see Craig Hansen pitch.

Archived