Star Princess - California Coastal Review -B704

Smokeyham

Love hearing about the Ultimate Ship tour. Do you happen to know if the gifts are per person, or per cabin? If we have 2 adults take the tour, I wonder if we would get 2 robes and aprons. I haven't researched this, so the answer is probably somewhere on the board, in case you don't know the answer.

Sounds like it was worth the cost.

I have to think that the gifts are per person, since the cost is per person. If you have two adults take the tour, then total cost would be $300, with two robes, etc.

Yes... I really enjoyed the experience, and the gifts! Overall I think it was a good value. :)

One act which was very popular was Colin Slater, who played tunes on the piano in Crooners bar from 9:00 PM onwards. Lots of people would join in singing old favorites.

By chance do you mean Colin Salter (vs Slater)? If so, I've seen him perform a number of times on Crystal and he's an excellent entertainer. If we're talking about the same guy, I'm glad to see him entertaining on Princess as well.

http://www.garyparkes.com/colinsalter.html

Really enjoying your review.

By chance do you mean Colin Salter (vs Slater)? If so, I've seen him perform a number of times on Crystal and he's an excellent entertainer. If we're talking about the same guy, I'm glad to see him entertaining on Princess as well.

http://www.garyparkes.com/colinsalter.html

Really enjoying your review.

Thanks for catching that! I checked my Patter and you are correct.... Colin Salter! Thanks also for posting the link to his bio. Always interesting to learn more of the background. It would be nice if Princess published this information somewhere so we could learn more about the performers while on board.

Final Evening Aboard L

After the Ultimate Ship’s Tour I enjoyed a quiet afternoon reading on my balcony and also popping up to the Horizon Court for a snack, or picking up a drink at the adjacent bar. At 3:00 PM I stopped by the Wheelhouse Bar to take advantage of the BOGO (Buy One Get One Free). I love the ambiance of that bar with its nautical theme and pictures of old ships, but the place is packed during happy hour, so I only actually sat there during quieter times. I've attached some pictures of the Wheelhouse, taken during quiet times! The two ship pictures are from paintings hanging in the Wheelhouse.

At 4:00 PM Hypnotist Matthew Fallon gave a presentation called “Hypnosis Revealed! A Clear Understanding.” Earlier in the cruise I had gone to see his show in the Princess Theatre and had volunteered to by hypnotized. I was one of 16 people sitting in chairs on the stage, and after the first stage of having us relax and follow his commands he had released me and several others to return to the audience. I was curious about what made some people more amenable to being hypnotized, so attended his presentation.

His presentation was really good, and I liked that it was not an “infomercial.” He explained what hypnosis is, and what it is not. The presentation was in the Vista Lounge and it was not very well attended (probably about 30 people) which was in stark contrast to the packed house for bingo which was held immediately before it!

After dinner I went to see the stage show “Destination Anywhere” at the Princess Theatre. It was fun to see the Dancer who had talked with us on the Ultimate Ship’s Tour, but I did not like this show as much as the British Invasion. This show seemed to have songs which were loosely strung together with no real theme.

After the show I went to Crooners for a final evening of songs from Piano Man Colin Salter. He filled Crooners and the hallway alongside it with people singing and dancing.

Finished off the night with a quiet walk on deck, savoring the sea air and the quietness of the evening.

1037262790_StarPrincessReduced140.jpg.6cdc928c5531502e7fc96dcbf5e7383c.jpg

725355916_StarPrincessReduced151.jpg.75d027ce40286a355838860f404ec029.jpg

1454225109_StarPrincessReduced149.jpg.a945a1b6ccad316a83568e0b20288411.jpg

1656413016_StarPrincessReduced150.jpg.aec92b2633d6e251f5db022e11a8bb71.jpg

Thanks for a nice review.

I too would wish for the opportunity to cruise more often with no flights involved so am glad you managed to take the opportunity :)

You're welcome. Definitely the costs (and hassles) of a flight and hotel room the night before cruise add to the cost of the whole trip. Not having to fly is a huge benefit.

Day 8 – Disembarkation at San Francisco

Woke up around 5:50 AM to find that we had already entered San Francisco Bay and were turning around in front of Pier 27 (cruise ships seem to be moored facing out at this pier). The stern thrusters can be a bit noisy when you are at the back of the ship.

There is no room service on disembarkation day, so I went up to Horizon Court around 8:00 AM for my breakfast. I know that they prefer that we vacate our cabins early, so the staff can start the process of preparing for the next cruise, so I took my carry-on bag with me.

Returned to my cabin after breakfast to find my great room attendant Janis to thank her and give her a tip.

Horizon court was not too busy and I had a nice breakfast looking out over San Francisco Bay. My disembarkation time was not till 10:05 am (from Vista Lounge), but the process was going so smoothly that we were able to get off a bit early. Luggage was waiting in areas by color code and it was easy to get a taxi out front.

1991709326_StarPrincessReduced273.jpg.5d320ce68298112589e96176e3afc7b4.jpg

1251276220_StarPrincessReduced276.jpg.731898226095b7c4402197a9965a01e5.jpg

21735092_StarPrincessReduced302.jpg.4ea01bfddbf1323c2e08179032d8abdb.jpg

Excellent review! I enjoyed reading it. Just curious, did they offer any themed buffets outside of Horizon court near the pool?

Thanks again for taking the time to share your cruise with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent review! I enjoyed reading it. Just curious, did they offer any themed buffets outside of Horizon court near the pool?

Thanks again for taking the time to share your cruise with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

#1Nanna,

I don't remember anything like that being offered. I walked by the pool area almost every day, and don't remember any special tables or anything like that being set up.

Thanks Smokyham. Really enjoyed your review! Very well written!! We don't sail until 12/2015 so love reading about the Star in the meantime.

Carole

You're most welcome! I watched the countdown clock for months, and it seemed like the cruise would never get here, but it was well worth the wait! I hope you have a great cruise in December.