Honeymoon dilemma- Explorer or Adventure?

I will be married on April 29th and am planning to leave on a honeymoon cruise on the 30th. I originally wanted to go on a 10 or 12 day deep caribbean cruise, but after researching my choices for that day I realized that I don't have that option. Looks like I'm going for the 7 day. SO... Does anyone have any thoughts on which is the better cruise-the Explorer's Eastern caribbean or the Adventure's Southern caribbean? I like the idea of hangiong out in San Juan for a few days after the southern caribbean cruise is over, but still am not sure if Puerto Rico is really worth the hefty price of airfare. ALso, is there any real difference between the ships? It looked like the Adventure had the better review on this site.

Well the ships are the same, so itinerary is the real choice. I'd take the Southern Caribbean on the AOS and tack on a couple days post-cruise in San Juan at an ocean front hotel. You only get one shot at a honeymoon...hope yours is a great one.

I love the AOS and would recommend either itinerary. We have planned both our trips nearly a year in advance and were able to wait out drops in airfare to San Juan. We also enjoy a few days pre-cruise in San Juan and really enjoy walking around the city and the forts.

Congratulations and hope you have a great time whichever you choose!

I would definitely recommend the Adventure for your honeymoon...and I am speaking from experience. My wife and I sailed on the Adventure for our honeymoon and have returned this past year for another cruise. The Adventure is a fun ship and regardless of which itenerary you get, they are both great. As an added bonus, sailing out of Puerto Rico with a 10:00 pm departure time gives you a little more flexibility in your flight plans, something that is helpful the day after your wedding. Lastly, you can make your honeymoon longer with an extended stay in Puerto Rico. The El Conquistador is a phenomenal property that would be ideally suited for an additional 4 or 5 nights in Puerto Rico. Enjoy your Honeymoon and have the time of you life!!!

I also would do the Southern Caribbean itinerary. Like the others said you can add a few days after the cruise in San Juan in a nice beach front resort. You only get one honeymoon, so if you can splurge and spend a little extra I say go fo it! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and have a great cruise. :)

I sailed the Adventure last year. :) It's a great ship and a fine itinery. It's a bit hectic with a new port each day and only roughly 8 hours at each stop to do and see what you can. Antigua is a good day to chill a bit. IMHO, there's not too much to do there. Again, only my humble opinion.

You won't be sorry if you select this one for the honeymoon tour. I did notice that the level of service in the dining rooms has dropped in comparison to other smaller ships I have been on. I am not so sure if it is indicative of the fleet or big ships, or just a bad waiter experience. I am travelling on the the smaller Empress in Sept so time will tell regarding dining service. I was also on the Empress prior to the refit when it called the Nordic Empress. Therefore I should be able to report back about a general decline in service or just big boats vs smaller boats.

Last year, we ate one dinner in the dining room. The rest of the cruise we ate in the Windjammer, even in my tux on Captain's Night. We hooked up with one particular server got very personalized service up there. We established the rapport one would expect from the main dining room staff but was sorely missed downstairs. You should have seen the heads turn as we walked into the Windjammer dressed to the nine's on Captain's Night. Even the Windjammer Mgr came over to say hello. Just some additional thoughts.

Song of America-Bermuda 1994

Nordic Empress-Bermuda 2002

Sovereign of the Seas-Bahamas 2003

Adventure of the Seas-Southern caribbean (Barbados, not Aruba) 2004

We have been on both the Explorer and the Adventure. We really liked the Adventure and the Southern Caribbean itinerary.

Our favorite class of ship, though, is the Radiance class. Althogh smaller than the Voyager class ships, they are by no means small. You will love the openness of those ships with all of the walls of glass. All to often the Voyager class ships give me the feeling of spending days at The Mall of America. JMHO

Thanks for all the input! The southern caribbean itinerary seems to have everyone's vote, so I'll probably go for that one. I'm soooo ready for a vacation and the Adventure sounds wonderful. The El Conquistador was mentioned as a good hotel choice in San Juan. Any other suggestions as I put my trip together? You seem like a trust-worthy bunch.

Archived