Ciorkage fee for box wine

skyline

:confused:Has anyone been able to bring on a 3 liter box of wine (equivalent of 4 750 ml bottles) and had it allowed after paying a $60.00 corkage fee? Really prefer the taste of this wine for casual drinking in the cabin. I guess if boxes are totally forbidden (even with corkage fee) its time to say "Hello Yellowtail". We're sailing on the Royal on Saturday. Thanks for your help.

:confused:Has anyone been able to bring on a 3 liter box of wine (equivalent of 4 750 ml bottles) and had it allowed after paying a $60.00 corkage fee? Really prefer the taste of this wine for casual drinking in the cabin. I guess if boxes are totally forbidden (even with corkage fee) its time to say "Hello Yellowtail". We're sailing on the Royal on Saturday. Thanks for your help.

Princess states that only 750 mL bottles of wine are allowed & not larger bottles which would include a box of wine unless it's the maximum 750 mL size.

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

We'll be joining you on the Royal on Saturday & bringing one 750 mL bottle wine per person to enjoy in our cabin. :) In the dining room we'll just get the least expensive bottles of wine to enjoy it with dinner.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've packed boxed wine in my checked-in luggage many times. Never had a problem or had to pay corkage. Of course, I just leave it in my room refrigerator and have the wine glasses delivered there so I can pour myself a glass.

Why would you encourage someone to break the rules:(

I've packed boxed wine in my checked-in luggage many times. Never had a problem or had to pay corkage. Of course, I just leave it in my room refrigerator and have the wine glasses delivered there so I can pour myself a glass.

I totally agree with you and have done the same on many occasions, on many lines. Rules or no rules, just like a glass on balcony when getting ready for evening activities.

Why would you encourage someone to break the rules:(

That's nothing! I read here -- if you have wine in a box,

and security asks you how many BOTTLES of wine you have,

you say 'zero'.

Just like talking to a four-year-old...

I swear I read it on this forum.

Boxes are much more difficult to spot in the scanners. They're usually looking for bottles. The chances of getting by with a box are considerable better than a bottle.

That's nothing! I read here -- if you have wine in a box,

and security asks you how many BOTTLES of wine you have,

you say 'zero'.

Just like talking to a four-year-old...

I swear I read it on this forum.

LOL. My box is also in checked luggage. Last cruise they asked me if I had wine in my carryon. Sure I did. They saw it. So I said yes. Asked how many bottles were in there; I said one. There was only one. However, I had another one in my purse. Purse went through scanner and they must have seen it. They didn't verbalize, nor did I.

In 2013 when we were about to go on a 20 day B2B I called princess and asked if the 4 bottle box was OK. I was told Yes. I packed it in my luggage and it came thru just fine.

Intend to do the same thing on our 1215 B2B in Feb this year. Each leg of the booking is a separate trip. 2 trips =4 bottles of wine. This is not smuggling, as it follows the 2 bottle limit per trip.

The only rule I wish they would change is for Solo Cruisers paying for the price of 2. If I have to pay for 2 people, please legally allow me to bring 2 bottles of wine. I am one of those people that even though I bring a bottle of wine on board, I still buy a bottle or 3 depending on the cruise. I like a glass when I am getting ready in my room or just hanging out.. When I am in the dining room or at the wine bar, I love to have a bottle there as well. Then I get the exact amount I want and dont have to worry about how much I have or dont have them pour.

I have never tried box wine although it works for some. When I take a bottle of wine on the ship I like to take my expensive wine with me.. Dont have a reason why, its just something I prefer to do..

If Princess does catch you taking extra and the crew member is in the mood to charge you the corkage fee it would feel much better if the wine costs more than the fee. We should be thankful that Princess does not do what other ships do and that is take our wine away... and good bye bottle of wine..