Radiance Sydney to Perth 20.10.14

We purchased a shuttle ticket from the Fishermans Island Grain Wharf to the city / return. The shuttle dropped us fairly close to the Queens St Mall so we just had to walk across one road, then take numerous stairs down to the riverbank where there was a river cat wharf.

We knew about the FREE city hopper so waited a few minutes for one to turn up which took us down river before turning back for the up river stops. We got off at the South Bank jetty where we had a quick comfort stop before a coffee.

DSCF1034_zps1c84ada3.jpg

I was hoping that I'd be able to post the 4 pictures I have for Brisbane on the one post but it looks like I'll have to post numerous times! One day I'll get the hang of this Mac laptop!!

The markets were on selling mostly cheap Asian stuff but you could also have a camel ride. I was amused to see that one was just a baby who followed her Mum along without any ropes tying her to the others:

DSCF1062_zps53ca4244.jpg

After checking out the Main Street we walked back along to the end of the beach to the Sailing Club - still stuck in the 60's but the drinks were cold and the food plentiful! Here's a view from the deck where we had lunch:

DSCF1065_zps089106b1.jpg

I spotted this house right around the far end of the bay and thought it looked familiar. I used my camera zoom to check it out and remembered that it had been featured on the TV program Australia's Best Homes (Houses?). It can be rented for $$$$$'s per week for anyone desiring the best including absolute seclusion:

DSCF1066_zpsd77cbfe6.jpg

Two days later we finally reached Cape York. The Reef Pilot that guided us through the Great Barrier Reef came on board at Brisbane and stayed on board until we docked at Darwin. He gave us some commentary whilst travelling in this part of our amazing country!

I took mostly videos of the Top End but here's one photo that I took using the zoom lens:

DSCF1093_zps7ac35556.jpg

This morning we docked at Darwin 8 days after leaving Sydney. Here is the wharf area showing the new developments behind and to the right of the Port:

DSCF1113_zpsf8f5e76a.jpg

Edited by gaechann

The cruise line offered the HOHO bus trip which picked us up from the wharf for $35 which was good value. It round trip was 1.5 hrs with commentary. Our first stop was at the Art Gallery & Cyclone Tracey Museum.

DSCF1120_zps5426eca7.jpg

Last year when we visited Darwin the poinciana trees were in full bloom but this year after a very dry season they weren't at all spectacular except for one or two scattered trees. On the other hand the tropical frangipanis with their large white blooms were lovely:

DSCF1119_zps177664f7.jpg

After exploring the Museum we hopped onto another HOHO bus which eventually dropped us off at the CBD where we had a coffee, withdrew some money, did some shopping then decided to walk back to the ship via the new elevated walkway, 2 lifts and the pedestrian footpath through the new waterfront development.

Here's a photo of one of the parks showing the Wave Pool in the background:

DSCF1122_zpsdbbd6715.jpg

We continued on the pedestrian walkway after checking with the local policemen that we were heading in the right directions (they no longer wear brown?) and there was the beautiful Radiance ahead.

This shows me on the pedestrian bridge leading to the walkway which has been recently completed. An easy way to get to the city or back to the Port if you know where to go!

DSCF1133_zpsd86fe72c.jpg

That's it from Darwin! We had a great day here!

Any time now (we seem to be waiting on some passengers as we were supposed to leave 10.00 ships time, 9.30 Darwin time so we are already half an hour late and the gangway is still out) we will set sail for Bali were we will be on Friday, then back to Port Hedland so that's it from me until we are back in Australian waters.

Gae

Great photos Gae, did the bus last year. Was a great service.

Still no movement from the wharf. We're having an early night - no 10.45pm BBQ for us! Litchfield Park was hot and tiring even though the walkways were well defined and not steep. Very enjoyable though with a barramundi BBQ lunch and a Darwin city tour as well.

My photo came up as a thumbnail - not so good.