Radiance Sydney to Perth 20.10.14

Bali Visas - for what it's worth I'm wondering if it would work better if all passengers purchased their Visas prior to the cruise then immigration could refuse boarding to any then didn't have it in the passport on boarding day.

They certainly have to improve the fiasco that they put everyone through on boarding day. We took 2 hours to board from 2.30 to 4.30.

Others arrived at 11.30 & took 4 hours to be processed so they were telling us at the Meet & Greet gathering!

Talking about the Meet & Greet, this was the best organised one I've attended. The staff member in charge did a great job!

It was especially interesting to hear from all who attended. The only improvement I would suggest is that they provide some means of attaching your name tags to your shirt or top so that we can identify those we've been chatting online with.

I didn't catch up with Megsie who is doing this cruise for the 3rd time, though she was sitting close by. Pity, still she was busy talking with an American couple as I too was being asked questions by others knowing that I'd done this trip last year.

Just resting now with an ice-pack on my swollen knee. Can't let the matter of a bunged knee stop me in my tracks!

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity have a different way of going about the issuing of Bali Visa. Everyone is charged for a visa $US35 irrespective of whether or not one goes ashore. Makes things simpler but not necessarily right

We had a nice few hours in Geraldton today! Took the $20 shuttle organised by the ship. Visited the HMAS Sydney Memorial, the Cathedral and finally the Maritime Museum.

Now sitting in the Champagne Bar sipping a cocktail or two before 6.00 dinner - out LAST night! Boo Hoo!

Photos later!

Thanks Gae for keeping us up to date with your travels, love the photos.

Sad for you that it's your last day .... happy for me as I board in a few hours!!!

Vera

Celebrity have a different way of going about the issuing of Bali Visa. Everyone is charged for a visa $US35 irrespective of whether or not one goes ashore. Makes things simpler but not necessarily right

Yes, if you were not planning to go ashore, you would probably step off just to get your money's worth.:)

Sad for you that it's your last day .... happy for me as I board in a few hours!!!

Vera

Have a great trip Vera! We are still waiting onboard for our departure number to be announced.

Vera

Enjoy your cruise Vera!

We are now waiting for our lift. Took just 15 minutes from when our departure number was called to pick up our bags then have customs inspect our declared items.

Very quick & efficient!

Now to enjoy Fremantle & Perth for the next 4 days!

Gae

Enjoy your cruise Vera!

We are now waiting for our lift. Took just 15 minutes from when our departure number was called to pick up our bags then have customs inspect our declared items.

Very quick & efficient!

Now to enjoy Fremantle & Perth for the next 4 days!

Gae

Good work, glad you enjoyed the cruise. Will there be more photos still?

Enjoy Perth. in any case.:D

Photos from our stop at Port Hedland. Why do we stop there? Because the Radiance has to take on gas for its engines.

We passed many of these monstrous ore ships on our way into the harbour:

DSCF1230_zps3ae0629e.jpg

The Pilot brought his family out too:

DSCF1238_zps93108f3d.jpg

Many powerful tug boats at this harbour. It would usually take 4 of them to guide the ore ships in:

DSCF1236_zps54a3e34c.jpg

Approaching the wharf:

DSCF1255_zpsc471d32d.jpg

The other end of the wharf:

DSCF1260_zps346a39fc.jpg

Last year I went on the BHP port tour so photos for that can be found on my thread for last year which is still floating around here. This year I elected to take the free shuttle into the township to see what it has to offer. I must say I was pleasantly surprised:

Covered footpaths! Metal with patterns in them. I first noticed the patterns on the footpaths so was amazed to see what made them!

DSCF1267_zps0f593ac1.jpg

Street scene:

DSCF1264_zps18348214.jpg

Radiance in the background:

DSCF1270_zps7a99c0c2.jpg

Visitors centre:

DSCF1271_zpsdc4cc7cd.jpg

Schedule of ships:

DSCF1272_zps9f5336ea.jpg

The ship schedule is interesting, seeing most go to China as well. What was the 'Stairway to the moon' I wonder ?

Here it is for you - see the moon - see the stairs? http://www.australiasnorthwest.com/events/staircase-to-the-moon - this link of course has it's preference to Broome - but it is the same in PH. It's just that this link has photo's so you can see what it is.

Next one - 26th November

Edited by dizzy1948

The following were all taken from the moving bus so please excuse the quality:

Bougainvilleas in full bloom:

DSCF1278_zpse1d0186a.jpg

Poinciana trees:

DSCF1303_zpsd6a22a33.jpg

Seaside park:

DSCF1282_zps481c02aa.jpg

No irrigation here!

DSCF1298_zpsd2dd8930.jpg

Basic shopping centre:

DSCF1309_zps27db9697.jpg

Hi Gae, this is fabulous, DH and I as 1st timers are doing this cruise reversed ie Perth To Sydney, in Feb 2015, it's such a joy to get a preview of what we will experience, got the long flight from London to endure first tho, I'm so excited more so after seeing details of your holiday. Thank You.

Fantastic Kate - I'm sure you'll love the cruise! I hope you've arranged to spend some extra time here both before and after the cruise. There's SO MUCH to see and do!

Have you read my review of this same cruise last year? There's much more information about the ship on that first one. It's floating around here on the boards somewhere! :)

Gae

Edited by gaechann

Here it is for you - see the moon - see the stairs? http://www.australiasnorthwest.com/events/staircase-to-the-moon - this link of course has it's preference to Broome - but it is the same in PH. It's just that this link has photo's so you can see what it is.

Next one - 26th November

Thanks Di, very nice pictures to demonstrate. I thought it may have been something like that but was wondering how it affected the ship schedule.:D

Geraldton on Tuesday - photos to follow:

GERALDTON – 4.11.14

The seas picked up between Port Hedland and Geraldton so there was some talk about whether we’d be able to tender into Geraldton today or not but, Plan B was put into action whereby the Pilot guided us right into the Harbour where all the grain terminals are.

It was just a little disconcerting to see the sea grass floating on top of the churned up water but knowing that experts were in charge I was thankful that once again we were able to go ashore.

Our time here was scheduled from 11am to 6pm. The temperature was about 26 degrees so much more pleasant than the 42 degrees we experienced last year!

We had purchased a $20 hop on hop off shuttle (through the ship) which runs all day so decided that we’d have a leisurely lunch before worrying about boarding a tender to shore. There was quite a long line of people on Deck 5 waiting to receive tender tickets, so we really wanted to avoid that scenario if possible.

The dining room was practically empty for lunch time! I guess most passengers were either ashore or enjoying the poolside BBQ so the waiters were all standing around waiting to pounce on anyone who ventured in!

Just as we were finishing lunch we heard calls for those with tender tickets numbered 20 & 21 to proceed to the lower decks so figured that if we timed it perfectly we probably wouldn’t need to line up for tickets as it would be open slather for those still left wanting to visit the township.

A quick trip back to the cabin for our cameras just before 1.00 and behold, the announcement we’d be waiting for – tender tickets are no longer required – so we just had a small line-up on Deck 2 to board the next tender. Perfectly timed!

We arrived on land to be greeted by local volunteers with maps and information. Just a short walk to the shuttle buses which were arriving and departing every 10-15 minutes.

Our first stop was the HMAS Sydney Memorial where more volunteers took groups around explaining the whole area. It is very tastefully done with the Wall of Remembrance and the dome of stylised birds representing each life lost.

We were able to obtain some great views of the town and harbour from this vantage point. Later, it was just a short 10 minute wait for another shuttle bus which took us to the second stop, the Cathedral. Our final stop was at the Maritime Museum where there is a detailed display of the Sydney tragedy.

A short stroll along the new boardwalk led us to the tender pickup point where more volunteers were handing out cups of water to those in the waiting line for the tenders.

Our overall impression of Geraldton was of a nice, clean place with lots to offer visitors. Their population of 35,000 is a little over half of ours in Coffs Harbour but it seems much more progressive. Perhaps a new Council is needed back home?

Welcome to Geraldton says the sign:

DSCF1328_zps304954a3.jpg

Crew preparing the tender landing area:

DSCF1336_zps49688c88.jpg

First stop the HMAS Sydney Memorial:

P1000025_zps1b9d1b1d.jpg

Close up of the stylised birds which represented each life lost:

P1000026_zps2583b2e3.jpg

Part of the Wall of Remembrance:

P1000031_zpsba017c1a.jpg