Say it isnt so! Rotterdam

bruceh4

I just saw a photograph of the Rotterdam taking after SOE and drydocking. It appears that they have extended the Gym forward and have eliminated the observation deck. Also it looks like this extention also restricts the in close view of the Crows Nest and you cant see the bow any longer.:( Maybe somebody who has recently sailed on the Rotterdam can comment about the changes. Looks like I will have to take up riding an excercycle just to have a good view.:eek: The forward observation deck was one of my favorite places especially when entering or exiting a port. Oh well!

It was our first time on the Rotterdam we got on in Venice in May we thought the seats in the Crows Nest were not very good because it was hard to see out of the window. But we loved the ship! We were a little disappointed in the Cruise Director (hardly around or pesonable) unfortunately he is training his staff the same way. But hey people are different and what is good to one could be bad to another. Our cabin steward was Phat and he was great so was our waiter (senior moment :eek: ) I can't remember his name. Oh well we loved the Rotterdam and are looking forward to the Zuiderdam in 2 weeks.

Kathy

One word.....UGLY! Does the gym really get that much use, that they needed more space, at the expense of the lovely lines of the ship before SOE?

I think the gyms do get more and more use as the middle agers and the more senior folks are more into using the treadmills and bikes and even the weights.

In the past, it was expected a certain number of the twenty and thirty year olds would be in the gyms but now when I'm there, I see just as many 50, 60 and some 70 something year olds.

BUT, I don't think it warranted ruining the pretty lines of Rotterdam.

Can we assume this is what all the "S" class and the others are going to look like after their SOE upgrades?

They didn't do this to the Ryndam, and she's done.

Rev Neal, unfortunately they did do it to the Ryndam but not quote the same. The extended the Gym but left a little of the Observation deck in front of it. But the same roof effect can be seen from the Crows Nest!!!:( Here is the website picture of the Ryndam:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/333060208/333060208IyGNfh

Look closely above the bridge and you will see the roof extention. I you go to HAL's website and look at the deck plan you can see the observation deck has been narrowed. Make sure you look at the 2006 deck plan.

Now Captain Card will have to add a pair of glasses to the Rotterdam. dam, I said ... Rotterdam and double dam!

Oh Captain my Captain ... could you call up Kruse and tell him that this addition SUCKS the big one?

Now Captain Card will have to add a pair of glasses to the Rotterdam. dam, I said ... Rotterdam and double dam!

Oh Captain my Captain ... could you call up Kruse and tell him that this addition SUCKS the big one?

Rev Neal please calm down you still have your collar on:eek: The only good thing that I see on the Ryndam extention would be on a Panama Canal cruise it looks like you will be in the shade on the obs deck! But I agree this sure SUCKS:mad::eek:

You're right ... but since it doesn't come all the way forward to flush with the Bridge it's not nearly so noticeable, nor does it do as much violence to the lines of the ship. What they've done to the Rotterdam is UGLY.

The deckplans for the Rotterdam don't match what they did based upon the photograph. In the photograph they've brought the Gym all the way forward ... in the deckplans they didn't.

HAL needs a new shipwright ... or, in this case, a shiprewright

Here's what they were supposed to have done.

img_l_deck_06.gif

Frankly, I think it's obvious why they have to extend the area forward ... to provide enough space to include all the upgrades to the spa.

Agreed the deck plan is incorrect for 2006. Now I am worried about the Amsterdam which I will be boarding Oct6th for the 62 day Pacific cruise. I would almost be willing to bet I will find the same change on the Amsterdam as she will be coming out of drydock for our cruise.:mad:

...I wish I had gone to the gym. The deck plans for the Ryndam show that the Observation Deck has been reduced -- not eliminated. The problem is that you have to go through the gym to get to it. This picture is not the best angle, but the structure for the gym does appear to step back from the bridge. I was out on the bow several times, but I don't recall looking up to see if anyone was on the Observation Deck (that is, is there still is one).:eek:

47b5d628b3127cce98548a688c3100000027108QaM2zlo4cC

We have sailed on the Rotterdam, Ryndam, and Amsterdam - and a bunch of other "dam" ships and know the layout of the gryms very well. From the diagram shown in this thread, the emphasis seems to be more on the thermal suites, Greenhouse spa and salon and a separate aerobics area. The actual gym area itself doesn't seem to be very large.

Does anyone know how many tread mills there are?

This is important to DH. He also looked at the diagram.

Archived