Island Princess Drydock

CruisingCoral

I just saw the deck plans for the Island Princess after it's dry dock and I can't believe how many rooms they're adding. Especially that they are getting rid of the wrap around Promenade deck and filling it with balcony cabins instead. Also, putting aft balconies on the Lido Deck and getting rid of more deck space. They even moved the gym to the inside of the ship on deck 6. Can anyone explain to me why Princess is getting rid of so many features that make the Island Princess such a wonderful and unique ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have sailed the Island but not her sister ship the Coral. When they updated the Coral did they do the same changes that are slated for the Island?

I loved the Island but I don't think I'll like it as much after dry dock. If the Coral has kept the same original deck plans I will look at the itineraries she sails.

I'd guess most of it has to do with gaining back some of the lost capacity on the Grand Mediterranean runs due to the ship size restrictions now in place in Venice. Having to switch from the Royal/Regal to the Island Princess means a loss of over 1,600 passengers per sailing on this route.

I just saw the deck plans for the Island Princess after it's dry dock and I can't believe how many rooms they're adding. Especially that they are getting rid of the wrap around Promenade deck and filling it with balcony cabins instead. Also, putting aft balconies on the Lido Deck and getting rid of more deck space. They even moved the gym to the inside of the ship on deck 6. Can anyone explain to me why Princess is getting rid of so many features that make the Island Princess such a wonderful and unique ship?

Where are the plans for the new Island?

john

I have sailed the Island but not her sister ship the Coral. When they updated the Coral did they do the same changes that are slated for the Island?

I loved the Island but I don't think I'll like it as much after dry dock. If the Coral has kept the same original deck plans I will look at the itineraries she sails.

The Coral Princess does not have these changes to it. I thought I read somewhere that the Coral will eventually get these changes once it goes into dry dock which will be a while from now.

I'd guess most of it has to do with gaining back some of the lost capacity on the Grand Mediterranean runs due to the ship size restrictions now in place in Venice. Having to switch from the Royal/Regal to the Island Princess means a loss of over 1,600 passengers per sailing on this route.

I'm curious to see if the Island Princess will do Alaska in summer of 2016 because in May 2016 it shows the Island on the West Coast. I wonder if they'll move the Coral Princess to Europe in summer of 2016 instead of doing Alaska.

Another factor that may be behind the change is that the Coral and Island will no longer be the only larger Princess ships narrow enough to transit the Panama Canal once the new locks open next year. With the newer and bigger ships able to do that very popular itinerary, the Coral and Island can do ports like Venice and others that will not handle ships of the Grand and Royal classes.

It's such a shame though! I love the Coral and Island. I wish they would have built more ships in this class.

I agree, beautiful Ships built by the French shipyard Chantiers de l’Atlantique at St Nazaire (on the Loire), who also built the Queen Mary II and the R class ships Ocean Princess and Coral Princess. In fact, I enjoyed watching them, and the Queen Mary, being built as I drove over the high bridge at St Nazaire.

Sadly, we are unlikely to see any more of these classes being built as Carnival now has a volume agreement with Fincantieri. Even the refit of Island is being done by Fincantieri and not by the original builder.

Agree with those who are saddened by the loss of the walkaround at the rear of the promenade deck, but I think it will still be a nice ship, just perhaps less so for those who can remember the original version.

Interestingly I am waiting to hear the complaints pour in from the folks who book the two (peculiarly shaped) Premium Suites on the promenade deck. I think the void on the plan outboard of these suites is because this area is required for all the mooring gear etc. If I am correct, I can’t see folks in these suites being please to be woken by the noise of arriving at around 5am every morning. We have one of the midship suites booked on D Deck, which were the only Premium suites on the ship when I booked and my concern is such that, since the publication of the plans, I have written to Princess, stating that I do not wish to be moved to any other suite and that if they move me for any reason other than my selected suite becoming uninhabitable I will regard that as a breach of contract.

It's such a shame though! I love the Coral and Island. I wish they would have built more ships in this class.

I love them too and have only sailed on the Coral through the Panama Canal. :D

I asked at a Technical Conference and was told that these Turbo Engines proved to be highly inefficient in fuel. I wonder how they didn't figure this out before building them. :eek:

I love them too and have only sailed on the Coral through the Panama Canal. :D

I asked at a Technical Conference and was told that these Turbo Engines proved to be highly inefficient in fuel. I wonder how they didn't figure this out before building them. :eek:

There are Turbo engines in the engine room. When Coral and Island were developed, fuel was cheaper so they were used; when the cost of fuel went up, they just sit there.

But those "jet nacelles" on top of the funnel are NOT engines. They are just decorations. "Jet age" and all that.