any comments about being in a wheelchair aboard the Diamond Princess?

johno95

do they have handicap rooms? are the rooms just inside? can you visit any ports? do you have to tender? do they not allow you to tender? any other comments? thanks.

I will answer your questions as best I can because you have not specified you destinations or level of disability.

We have just returned from a cruise on Diamond and there were several passengers using wheelchairs. One gentleman was severely disabled and had a huge hi-tec chair.

I can't comment on cabin situations but know there are several adapted cabins. Perhaps a call to Princess would help to clarify the facilities.

I have mobility problems and found all crew members extremely helpful.

There are designated members of staff who will assist you in boarding and disembarking the ship.

Some ship's tour busses can accommodate wheelchairs but not all.

I would imagine that sea conditions would dictate whether it was possible to use the tender with a wheelchair.

I hope this helps.

do you have to tender?

As with any other cruise lines, the itinerary may or may not have some ports which require tendering to go ashore.

This information is available before you book a cruise.

Edited by caribill

They do indeed have handi-cap cabins including inside, ocean view and balcony's. Not sure about suites. The cabins are larger with roll in showers, easy access to hanging clothes and plenty of room to roll around in. As far as the tenders, you need to be able to stand up, walk across the threshold and down I think two steps. It's fine if you have to hold on to something while doing this. Some tour buses can accommodate a person in a wheel chair while others can not. You need to call them to find out.

I have a friend in a wheelchair that has very little trouble getting around but is able to do what I stated above. He has done many Princess cruises and has been elite for a long time.

This will give you lots of info for cruising with disabilities:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

if you are being pushed in a wheelchair it can be difficult for the "pusher" on the carpet in the hallways, etc. If it is electric you are fine. I use a mobility scooter occasionally and it has been easy on all Princess ships.