Cabin. Do you cruise inside, balcony, suite???

Thrak

We've been on 2 cruises so far. The first was a last minute deal, we really needed to get away and I grabbed an inside cabin. Figured it would be better if we start at the bottom. It was wonderful! Small but very efficient use of space and we never felt cramped. We had really rough seas for a few days, more than half the ship was sick, but we did fine.

The next cruise was on Carnival and with a group of 40+ friends. All but a few of us got connecting balcony rooms so we could open the doors between and have one long balcony. It was fun, and we did enjoy the balcony, but we would have been just as happy with an inside had it not been for our friends. Also, we had 2 days of somewhat rough seas, and the balconies didn't seem to factor as to who got seasick.

Leaving on our 3rd cruise, on Princess this time, next month, and we have a balcony. We would have been happy with an inside except for 2 things-- it's the Panama Canal and DH has been ill. He's recovering, but not sure how much energy he's going to have by the time of the trip. We may be spending a ton of time on our balcony-- moreso now because Princess kindly upgraded us to a really nice premium balcony! :D

We are hoping to do several cruises this winter, and unless there is a compelling reason for a balcony, or we get an upgrade, we'll be looking at inside cabins. If the OV or Balcony is just a little more in price (as they sometimes are), we'll get an upper category, but if we're in an inside, we will be happy.

This is an interesting topic as I have one friend who was devastated for me that we went in an inside cabin for our first cruise. She thought we were going inside on this upcoming cruise and was almost in tears about it! Apparently she can't handle anything less than a balcony. Have other friends who have never been in a cabin below a balcony and can't imagine how we can stand it, much less like it. But we also have friends who will take whatever is the best price in a good CC-approved area of the ship-- only in the room to sleep and shower. We are more like them. :)

In the early years when traveling with our daughter we had inside or OV cabins. When she was older we booked a balcony cabin for our TA/Mediterranean cruise so that we could enjoy the views as we cruised. Once we went to the balcony cabins we could not go back. It is so nice to be able to sit outside whenever you feel like it, especially at night.

The last four cruises have been in suites and we enjoy the extra room and some of the perks. When they travel with us, my daughter and her husband will book a balcony or suite depending on their budget. Some cruise lines treat suite passengers a little better than others so it is worth the extra money. This will be our first time cruising with Princess and we will be in a PH suite for the 15 day SF-Hawaii this November on the Star.

We've experienced the inside and window only cabins in the past, but always book a balcony these days. Our cruises tend to be annual and month long ones, so we appreciate absorbing the ocean atmosphere during our quiet times.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

I have booked 1 inside cabin in my 11 sailings with princess. I have booked 3 mini-suites and the remainder were Caribe cabins with the large balconies, However, I currently have an Handicapped - OV obstructed cabin booked for the Ruby in December. If a good upgrade offer comes up to a Caribe balcony (This has happened three times (2 comped and the last one paid upgrade) we may consider it however, Mom is recovering from a broken foot and is in a wheelchair.

We used to love suites and found them easy to store the scooter. They are no longer a consideration as the prices have gone up and the amenities have gone down. We now get the balcony suites so cruising is still affordable. Suites are just not worth the price.

We've had from inside to mini suite. It totally depends on the cruise. We had a mini suite on our Alaska cruise because we were to only ones with a balcony and we were in a large group. We have a balcony for our cruise next Saturday because the price was what I've paid for an inside. We have a balcony going to Hawaii next year. Then a lot of Caribbean cruises we have taken an inside guarantee so we can afford to take more cruises. Mainly, just get me on the ship.

We like to cruise a lot, and those suites are pricey. Would definitely cut down on the amount of cruising we could do if we only would cruise in suites or mini suites. We generally book balconies, but we do have some ocean views booked, and one interior. We book the lowest category we are willing to do for a particular cruise. We cruise to travel, not take a luxurious holiday. The money we save on lower cost cabins means we cab travel more. The suite perks are nice I am sure, and those who would not enjoy the cruise without them just like to cruise differently than I do. If I only went on one cruise a year maybe I would want the perks. We cruised 63 days in 2014, have 56 days scheduled so far for 2015, and 111 days (world cruise) for 2016.

If we have lots of sea days, as in grand adventure or world cruise, a balcony is a must. The more port dense the cruise is the less time we spend in the cabin, so a balcony or even a window is less necessary.

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We used to book inside cabins and OB cabins years ago and then discovered that the balconies were really an nice touch until the Royal & Regal came along & now considering the size of the balcony :mad: & the premium price they expect us to pay, we've moved back to booking inside. ;)

Balconies on the other ships are nice especially for someone who hasn't cruiser before but we'd rather spend the difference towards cruising more days than on a luxury we don't use all that much.

We too have cruised in everything from an inside to a suite. Never had a balcony until we did Alaska a number of years ago. Now the better half won't let me book anything below a balcony. Have a mini booked on the Regal for this January, L108. It's all the way forward and has a huge balcony. Will let you know how we like it. The suites and the minis definitely have an advantage when it comes to the bathrooms, and that's important to the DW! Myself, as long as I'm on the boat when it sails, I could pretty much be happy anywhere. For me, price still is a big consideration on where we end up cabin wise. It's isn't that we're not in a position to afford it, as the good Lord has blessed us. It's more about what makes sense and I can't bring myself to pay double for a suite. Rather have the extra $$$ for spending money on the ship or towards the next cruise! :D

We have always booked balconies (like the Caribe deck). I like having fresh air. Was upgraded to a mini on the Regal Princess (their minis were larger than Grand Class ships).

Allowed ourselves only one cruise per year while working, but now that we are both retired, am cruising twice in 2015 in a Penthouse Suite and a Mini. Noticed that all PH suites were booked earlier, but after final payment, 5 of the 12 became available. There will be 5 lucky cabins offered upsells or complimentary upgrades.

Our first cruise was with our daughters (high school & college seniors at the time), all 4 of us in an inside cabin! As it was what we could afford, we made it word :D Since then, we've been hooked on balconies, so it would be hard to go back -- we like to spend sea days out there (don't need to be by the pool). Our favorite is the Caribe ones on the Grand-class ships. We're in a deluxe balcony on the Royal for our next cruise, so we'll see if those balconies are as bad as everyone says or if it's still worth it to us!

We made the "mistake" of booking aft PH suite on NCL for our honeymoon last year... I say mistake because now, having just come back from cruise #2 in an aft PH (1st anniversary/40th birthday), I feel like we couldn't do it any other way. :/

Edited : part of the reason we love the suite life is the large balcony :)

Edited by welove2cruise2014

Our very first cruise was an inside with a port hole on RCCL. No one at the time said to get a balcony and we didn't really know any better. After getting on the ship and seeing the balconies, we've gotten then since. Then, we got a super duper deal on a suite on Princess and from that time on we were hooked. We've cruised a lot and have done mostly Caribbean; so we have done all the tours, etc. and are happy to stay on the ship when everyone else gets off.

How we do the suite each year is, we eliminate going out to eat, pretty much everything during the year, plus my husband is self employed and pretty much works 7 days a week and it is difficult to schedule dinner dates, etc. Then, instead of taking 2-3 smaller cruises, 7 or day days each, we combine 30 days all at one time, which saves us two of each: flights, hotels, transportation, baggage fees, pier baggage fees, food and gas. In addition the money we save from being away for a month, we don't buy groceries, our heat bill is down, we don't have to fill the vehicles up, so it all helps to put us toward justifying the suite.

We enjoy the large balcony and never go to the buffet for meals. We eat breakfast in Sabatini's and lunch mostly on our balcony and sometimes in the dining room.

It is so true, it's hard to go back once you've had the suite life...especially the aft.

This will only be our second cruise. Both will be insides. We will totally be open though if the Upgrade Fairy would like to visit between now and then. ;)

I have been having dreams that our room is going to have windows. Rather large windows... Could it be a window suite or balcony perhaps??? Anyway, if the Upgrade Fairy does not visit, we will be happy just the same. We will be together, my DH and I, celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We had to skimp and save a lot to get here. Unfortunately we cannot go every year or other year, so we will take whatever category that will get us on the ship. If it be the life raft that does it, then bring it on!

Happy sailing!:cool:

Though I prefer to have a suite, I do understand that if I traveled more than once a year I would most likely downgrade to a balcony cabin. My wife and I spend a lot of time on the balcony and like to sit in the room before dinner. It all depends on your priorities when on vacation. When we were younger we agree that we spent very little time in the cabin because there was so much to do and see and an inside or OV cabin made sense. Life is short, ENJOY!!!

What type of cruiser are you? Are you a cruiser who must have a balcony or mni-suite or who must have a suite or are you content with an obstructed OV, an unobstructed OV or an inside?

Itinerary and deals based for us. So, inside, oceanview or balcony, whatever suits for any particular cruise and deal. We though like port intensive cruises and don't want sea days.

We've not yet had a suite of whatever size and I doubt we will, the "extras" not being anything we are bothered about.

Anyways, if it all goes wrong, all "classes" will sink together.

Same as with an aircraft.

Ignore the attempts at oneupmanship exhibited around these forums and just do your own thing in your own way.

I have cruised in Mini-Suites, Jr. Suites, balconies, ocean view, obstructed ocean view, and insides. I would never say never to any of them. I do have a bit of an issue sailing insides now due to have some issues with claustrophobia that I didn't previously have. I still think I could do an inside if I were in the cabin by myself as I would probably turn on all the lights and keep them on all night.:D:D:D.

I guess I have been lucky as the last couple of cruises I sailed in an obstructed view (with my niece) and they were just about $40 more than an inside. Add to that, they did not really have any obstruction so we were happy campers.

I will say that if I can sail in a balcony I really do prefer it. I love being able to step out on my balcony any time I want to and look at the sea and the sky. I have sailed twice in Dolphin deck minis as well. I am one that loves the Dolphin minis. I have great memories of going out each night before bed and just staring up at the unobstructed sky. I loved looking at the stars and the peace it brought.

Isn't it great that none of us on CC are really poor. We may have some financial challenges. But, the fact that we can post our cruise experiences on here means we are not poor. OP, I totally understand being raised without money. I was raised by a waitress who had to use her tips to feed us. Going on a cruise was out of the question. One of the great pleasures in my life was being able to take my mom on a few cruises. She always wanted to cruise and so we did, 4 times.

We started out with the inside cabins, and now do either a OV or balcony - but the balcony only on the Caribe deck. We got upgraded once from an inside to a balcony and if we go by ourselves, we now book balconies. However we sometimes go with some friends who prefer a OV cabin at the front of the ship - I think L101-L104. We will book one of those if they are available.

I have been following Yellowfish, the couple who cruised the Caribbean 150 days last year on Princess. One way they can afford it is by booking insides. They are currently on six-ten day cruises in the South Pacific! My DH and I have had everything from inside to mini- suite and prefer a cabin with a couch. Even if I can't use the balcony due to the weather I love looking at the ocean. Our next cruise is on the Royal in a deluxe balcony next month. Like others I feel blessed to be able to cruise twice a year. Karen

On the two cruises I have paid for, inside cabin all the way. I too am a state employee :-)

The cruise my in-laws paid for, we had an obstructed ocean view.

While I'm sure we would enjoy a balcony, were budget travelers, spending less than 50$ on the actual ship. We're just blessed to be on vacation at all!

Edited by pete98

Our very first cruise taken in 2006 was in an inside cabin. We both became ill with the Noro virus. :eek: My husband said never again would we sail in a cabin without a balcony and 7 cruises later that is all we have booked (with the exception of getting a minisuite twice because the price was right).

Interesting thread! Its always nice to hear fellow cruisers opinions!

We travel with our two children ages 4 and 1 and we have been booking a mini suite and an interior for the last 4 years. My husband has a thing about not being able to sleep in the same room as our children so he sleeps in the interior. It's nice too because then we don't have to share a bathroom! It's also cheaper to book hubby and one child in an interior than all 4 of us in the mini:) We Cruise the ruby in a few weeks and just got an upsell to the owners suite so super excited for that. My first cruise was an interior and since then I've done balconies, minis, suites and family suites:)