Debit Card at Check in

conandrob240

Not really. Just needed a big one for 8 people and luggage. $225 each way. I checked around was the best price I found.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Details were not included, so one must assume this is a long trip.

If local, then 2-3 cabs would have to way cheaper. But, what do I know.

I just got off BOA. I prepaid service charges and had additional OBC on my account. I put only $150 on my account for both DH and myself. I was due a refund at the end and got cash on the ship. Easy peasy. I recommend your sis not use debit card and use cash instead.

Never use a debit card unless you are willing to have A LOT of money put on hold for a month. Even NCL tells you not too. See the following. Use cash or pre-pay OBC through NCL.com.

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. Traveler's checks or cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed onboard.

Dark, you're all over it. As a banker, don't use a debit card period.

We have always used our debit card and never had any issues. And we don't have millions of extra dollars in our account - we just know how much we need for tips and other charges and have enough there to cover that plus.

That being said, I did notice comments here on this thread about family members and their charges.

We are taking my mother and my BFF on a cruise with us for spring break. And we are covering their daily charges and tips, the standard fees. My question - is there only 1 account per stateroom? Because I am thinking of those extra things that could come up ... I can see my mom wanting a massage and not knowing that it costs ME x for her to get it ---- she has never cruised before ---- could we have an OBC account set up for us, and then one for my mom and one for my BFF? Or just the one and I need to figure out how to tell them what we will cover and what they would have to put down on the account to pay for themselves?

We have always used our debit card and never had any issues. And we don't have millions of extra dollars in our account - we just know how much we need for tips and other charges and have enough there to cover that plus.

That being said, I did notice comments here on this thread about family members and their charges.

We are taking my mother and my BFF on a cruise with us for spring break. And we are covering their daily charges and tips, the standard fees. My question - is there only 1 account per stateroom? Because I am thinking of those extra things that could come up ... I can see my mom wanting a massage and not knowing that it costs ME x for her to get it ---- she has never cruised before ---- could we have an OBC account set up for us, and then one for my mom and one for my BFF? Or just the one and I need to figure out how to tell them what we will cover and what they would have to put down on the account to pay for themselves?

Each key-card has a separate account number and the ability to be handled financially independent from the others. While all may be staying in the same cabin and have room access, the financial end of it can be handled separately.

The daily service charges are applied daily, not in one lump sum at the beginning or end of the cruise. You could go on NCL's website and purchase each of them enough obc to cover what you're willing to pay (it's done along the same lines as gift cards work but would deposit directly to each of their onboard accts) and then they have the freedom to charge what they wish and you aren't stressed over any extra charges.

Edited by tarps14

Each key-card has a separate account number and the ability to be handled financially independent from the others. While all may be staying in the same cabin and have room access, the financial end of it can be handled separately.

The daily service charges are applied daily, not in one lump sum at the beginning or end of the cruise. You could go on NCL's website and purchase each of them enough obc to cover what you're willing to pay (it's done along the same lines as gift cards work but would deposit directly to each of their onboard accts) and then they have the freedom to charge what they wish and you aren't stressed over any extra charges.

Thank you for the info!

Thank you for the info!

To correct the advise you got, instead of purchasing OBC to cover DSC, it's better to prepay the DSC so there is no chance that the OBC gets spent on something else. Also the onboard account statement is much more readable when there are no extra DSC lines (one line for each person linked to the account) every day.

My parents are 50 miles and they called a few car services. A van for 8 people $120 each way. A limo shouldn't be the only option

I have called car service places all morning. I can't get a better rate than I have already for 8 people from nj to the pier. I guess NJ is truly more expensive than Long Island transportation unfortunately. Will have to stick with my $250 one. One I even called wanted $400 each way crazy!!!!