Gross Tonnage

RonnieS

Based on a Voyager class ship which holds 3114 passengers, the average weight for total passengers is about 300 tons at the beginning of a seven day cruise. At the end its about 315 tons.

If my math is correct that's an average of 192 pounds per pax. Average weight gain, 9 pounds.

That fits me. I'm about 200 and usually gain about 7-10 on a cruise.

Vista class ships I suppose would be slightly less.

Assuming you meant to refer to the physical weight of the passengers and not the GRT of the ship itself -- I have an issue with your math --

If we assume passengers gain weight during the cruise, they would be gaining weight because they are eating the food on board -- since the bulk of the food consumed is loaded on at embarkation, why would the ship get heavier? Both the food and the passengers were there at embarkation, both are still there in one form or another -- sort of like applying the desserts directly to your thighs......no net weight gain

If there is an average weight gain of 9 pounds per passenger that must be from all of the trinkets that are purchased on shore and added to the load of the ship during the cruise. Must be the shopping!

A Voyager Class ship displaces 142,000 tons. It's actual weight is 54,000 tons light. Light meaning no passengers, crew, food, cleaning supplies, liquor, fuel , etc.. When adding in the fuel 1/2 million gallons, luggage 600 tons, food, liquor etc. it obviously goes up to whatever.

The reference to "gross" was simply a comment on the apparent weight gain of passengers while on a seven day cruise.

Considering there is 2,500 toilets on boards, that adds up to another 10 tons of waste on average. Now if some wants to do the math on food tonnage and human waste tonnage be my guest. I haven't a clue. I'm not an engineer and have no intention of getting out a slide rule or calculator and debating numbers.

I think gross tonnage is actually a measure of volume, but displacement is also measured. I'm not sure how much Voyager Of the Seas displaces, but perhaps I should look it up...

All this time I thought gross tonnage was what I saw whenever I looked in the mirror.....LOL :)

Gross Registered Tonnage is a measurement of interior space, and has nothing to do with displacement.

Then of course, there is DWT (dead weight tonnage), full load tonnage, and in the US Navy, war load tonnage.

Archived