HAL's Cozumel tour 'Mayan Ruins of Tulum'

RDMOREU

We're going on the Westerdam and will be in Cozumel Friday, Dec. 16, from 11 am to 9 pm. We've signed up for HAL's 'Mayan Ruins of Tulum' excursion; departure time is 11:30 am and HAL notes that it lasts approximately 7-8 hrs., thereby returning to the dock at 'approximately' 6:30-7:30 pm.

Has anyone taken this tour; and, if so, when did you get back? There's a particular store that I would like to go to and don't know if we'll have time.

Thanks for any help!

The boat docks at 11am and you leave at 11:30. You should take a ferry to the mainland and bus down to Tulum. Coming back is just the reverse. The ferry ride can be quite rough but its fairly short. The bus always has to stop at what must be the bus drivers cousin's gift shop - but theres nothing different about that. If your able to have time to shop in Cozumel is a question that I can't answer -- though we can back from Chichen Itza late and all the shops were closed, but that was several years ago.

Tulum is very interesting and you will have a great time.

Remember - though you are on a two lane road it is actually a three lane road. Our bus did alot of passing and every time the car being passed and the oncoming cars would pull to the right, making it a three lane road. Seems odd to us but it works.

Tulum - loved it - it has been a few years since we did it.

Shopping when you get back - a lot depends on what pier you will be docked at. Some of the shops stay open till 9 - others close down early. If there isn't a lot of people hanging around - they close.

If you are not at Puerto Langusta (?) - the pier closet to town where you can walk right in, you will find very taxis outside the pier area after a certain - they go home thinking that not many people want to go to town so late in the day. And even some of those shops close early.

We took this tour off of the Oosterdam in March 2004 and loved it. We got back to the ship around 7 PM but, at least for that sailing, the Odam stayed in port until midnight. We actually stayed on shore at Senior Frogs and.....well....it's a good thing it was close to the ship. :rolleyes: You can see my pictures of Tulum at http://community.webshots.com/user/randyk47 .

With the price of LD being so inexpensive why not just call ahead and find out how long they're open. I always carry a Sam's Club 500 minute AT&T card with me that I use from the states and in some cases it works with the AT&T direct system overseas. Also, I guess that Randy K and I were on the same ship or a week apart because our photos sure look similar.

Http://community.webshots.com/user/hoffmaniac

Have a great time at the ruins.

Cruzmann

Thanks for all the information! Where does HAL usually dock? As we get nearer to sailing date, I think that I'll take the advice about calling the store -I'll search for their tel no.

Thanks, again!

HAL uses all 3 piers when she docks in Cozumel. We have been at the Puerto Languta pier which is the closest one to town. The other piers are the International Pier and the Puerta Maya pier - this is the furthest one out.

Lately even the CD director doesn't know until the day before which pier HAl will be assigned to. One time we were told one pier and the next morning we docked at a different pier.

Last fall we were on the Oosterdam in Cozumel and docked at Puerta Maya. We didn't go to Tulum, but we were out sightseeing all day. Came back to the ship for dinner, then went out to the shops after. Most were open late in that area.

I am glad to see this thread, as we are contemplating a visit to Tulum in November. I'm just not sure if I want such a long excursion. :confused:

It is a long tour but well worth it. Have to say the boat ride from Cozumel over to the mainland is an experience. Kind of a 45 minute thrill ride and we went on what qualified as a "calm" day. Had a number of folks turn a bit green. One family didn't make the tour as the father was not doing too well. We got on the bus and it moved about 15 feet and he begged to get off. They left and their two teenage daughters looked like they thought "dad" was a bit of a wuss. :o I felt sorry for him and green was not a becoming color for him. I have no idea how or when they made it back to the ship. The only way is the water taxi and he certainly wasn't in a big hurry to do that again. Wasn't nearly as exciting on the way back to Cozumel but we had an idea of what was in store from the morning's run. Even with that I'd still highly recommend the tour and would take it again.

Thanks for the information!

I have read some of the reviews on the Ports of Call message board, but I was hoping to get some info over here too, from those who have taken the HAL excursion.

I have seen the ruins in Belize, and I am not sure these are as impressive. Other than the fact that there is a beautiful setting in Tulum.

But the ferry ride doesn't excite me! :(

Tulum was worth seeing! My DH and Sister and her DH took this tour in the mid '80's. Spent quite a bit of time checking out every detail we could. My DH and brother-in-law and I climbed the steep steps to the top of the temple. (The steps have been closed for a long time). I can tell you it was very, very difficult for me to get down those steps, they were extremely narrow. DH had to stand in front of me all the way down. Glad I did it though.

If it fits within your timeframe, do it! Just know that the bus ride was depressing to see the poverty of the area. Perhaps it's better now.

Tulum was worth seeing! My DH and Sister and her DH took this tour in the mid '80's. Spent quite a bit of time checking out every detail we could. My DH and brother-in-law and I climbed the steep steps to the top of the temple. (The steps have been closed for a long time). I can tell you it was very, very difficult for me to get down those steps, they were extremely narrow. DH had to stand in front of me all the way down. Glad I did it though.

If it fits within your timeframe, do it! Just know that the bus ride was depressing to see the poverty of the area. Perhaps it's better now.

Exactly my experience, and the same timeframe. I did not know the steps are now closed. There were vendors selling all kinds of interesting things in little shops leading up to the entrance. Very worthwhile experience! I'm glad I did it when I was "younger", for now it might be a bit much. Definitely not for physically challenged.

I missed the ruins last cruise because my husband wanted to snorkel, but he agreed to go to Tulim with me this time. After reading these posts I am now concerned, because I have a health issue that limits my energy. How bad are the boat and bus rides really, and is there just too much exertion involved to enjoy the ruins? Your opinion about this excursion for us would be appreciated. Thanks.

Marsha

I too had a rough ferry ride to Playa Del Carmen from Cozumel but there are a number of good remedies available that you can take before you get on the boat that will not make you drowsy or interfere with other drugs. You can always take a private car to the ruins if you like and it is not a bad walk and ride once you get there. There is a tram from the main entrance to the ruins. I wouldn't miss this over a few waves :D . Randy K and I were on the same March 21 sailing of the O'dam a year ago so we may have been on the same ferry but we had a different guide. Mine walked slowly with a cane though I can't remember his name.

Cruzmann

Cruzmann - I don't remember Birdie having a cane so we must have been with different groups. As I recall there were 4 or 5 other groups at Tulum about the same time we were there.

Ladyputt - There's nothing I can tell you about the ferry ride other than it can be bumpy. I don't think it would be particularly tiring unless that kind of thing bothers you a lot. The bus ride is just fine on good roads and you can just sit back and watch the countryside....what of it there is to see. The site itself can be warm and you do have to do some walking. We live in San Antonio, Texas so we're quite used to hot weather and I noticed some of the folks were more bothered by it than we were....we felt right at home. Still think it's one of the better tours and if you think you're at all up for it then I highly recommend it. Wear good shoes.

Archived