day of embarkation tip Maitre d'?

Tortoiselvr

I plan to go see the Maitre D' when I get on board to ask for our party of three to be seated alone, not with others - but do I tip him for this? or do I wait for the end of the cruise when the envelope is presented? If I do tip, what is the suggested tip amount? (and I do automatic gratuities, this would be additional)

thanks in advance.

I plan to go see the Maitre D' when I get on board to ask for our party of three to be seated alone, not with others - but do I tip him for this? or do I wait for the end of the cruise when the envelope is presented? If I do tip, what is the suggested tip amount? (and I do automatic gratuities, this would be additional)

thanks in advance.

Kind of an opinion issue. What you are comfortable with and how much it means to you? I am going to ask for a certain type of table as well. If it works out, I intend on tipping him (or her) at the that time. I think old school tipping is the way to go. Handshake tip.

But that is just a personal feeling, I think either is okay. As far as amount, I would not be comfortable even suggesting an amount. It is just to personal a thing. Whatever amount you decide, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

The envelope for the maitre d tip or even suggestion of that tip doesn't happen anymore, but you can get an envelope from guest services and do it at the end of the cruise. We've never tipped him for seating changes up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks in advance.

Gone are the days when you had to tip to get a table you needed. Now all you have to do is ask. At the embarkation day I think from 1-3, there will be a line for people who want to change their seats, and believe me there are many people who do it, including me. Not once have I seen anyone tip the Maître D'. And let me tell you I am very observant. But if you do decide to do that, you can do it at the end of the cruise, although frankly most don't tip. But its obviously up to you.

I plan to go see the Maitre D' when I get on board .

Maitre D does not meet until 1pm== head there about 12:30 and wait to be ahead in the line.

(look for your table first-- you might not even have to wait

Even though it states the maitre'd will be taking requests, and we have made a few, he is not generally the guy we actually talk to. There are staff members at the podium to the main dining room and will change your table if they are able. They can enter it into the computer right then. If they are not able to accommodate you immediately they may take the information and you will receive a notice later.

We only met with the actual maitre'd one time involving a very large group we were with and everyone had been scattered throughout the dining room and not grouped together at all. It took awhile to straighten it all out and he was involved.

You may or may not have the maitre'd standing in front of you to be able to tip him. If you want to tip for the table change or other favors/service he delivers throughout the week do so on the last night. He will come around to the tables. This is the only other time we ever see him. :rolleyes:

According to John Heald, Carnival's Senior Brand Ambassador, MaitreD's are not required to answer emails beforehand to make seating changes. He recommends contacting him on Facebook, or his blog to make the changes. I contacted the MaitreD first via email to make seating arrangements, and when he didn't answer, I found out about JH's FB and blog pages, and in a couple days, he and his staff had gotten the request completed by the Senior MaitreD onboard the ship.

send him an email now and then check where you are sitting when you board, you may not have to talk with him, he should be able to put you at a 4 seat table without any problem.

This has always worked for us - at least for the last five or six cruises. We normally wait until about two weeks before the cruise before sending.

I know what John H said about this, but it always works - only once however, did we receive a response.

We only cruise Spirit class ships on Carnival and we always have late seating . . . there seem to always be plenty of vacant tables during late seating.

I emailed our Maitre D and received my "read receipt", but no response. I was debating if I should send another email the day before departure to confirm our seating arrangements. Hate to stalk them and make them grumpy though. :-/

thanks in advance.

If you think a bribe would help you get what you want, then bribe him as much as you feel comfortable bribing someone.

I emailed our Maitre D and received my "read receipt", but no response. I was debating if I should send another email the day before departure to confirm our seating arrangements. Hate to stalk them and make them grumpy though. :-/

We normally just go by there after boarding . . . there is normally a line but if you just want to check on what type of table you have and its location, one of the assistants can normally tell you pretty quickly.

It is easy for us now because we always request a table by number and we can tell by looking at our Sign n' Sail card.

I didn't hear a reply on my last Splendor cruise but I got the table I requested. The M'd said something about that in a very thick accent. I was just happy I got the table.

For my upcoming Valor cruise, I heard back immediately from the M'd. I assume my request will be met and I don't tip.