Has anyone ever done the BOB excursion?

MrsBoo,

Thank you for your quick informative response. We did Helmet diving in Bermuda and just thought it was the coolest (for a lack of better words). The Snuba site is great. I'd be curious to also hear from someone who has done both, and to hear which they like best.

Thanks again...enjoy your anniversary cruise! :)

:p Elle-:p

Thanks for the wonderful photo. I would love to see more photos of both BOB and snuba so we can get a better idea of what it's like.

One concern of mine with the snuba is that I have a small head and have trouble getting a tight fit with a mask. Anyone have suggestions as far as that goes? I remember the last time I snorkeled, I had to keep emptying out the water because I couldn't keep the suction to my face for very long.

Thanks,

:p gwen :p

I have done BOB in St. Thomas and also BOND (same thing) in Cozumel. Both fantastic! DD (23) has done BOB and snuba. She loved them both but the snuba has made her want to try scuba. Where BOB has been my favorite, she thinks snuba is the greatest.

My DD also has a very small body (wears a size 3)! She had no trouble with the snuba. They really work with you in all aspects of the tour. Go and enjoy whatever you decide!

Becky

The BOB was awesome, just did they in May. Don't worry about having a small frame because that has nothing to do with how it works. There is no mask that sticks to your face, it is a pressurized bubble your head goes into. My GF even did it with glasses.

We were on the Mariner last week- My three sons did the Bob (21, 18 & 14). They loved it.

They did say that there was a bit of ear pressure when they first went down, but then it stopped. My 18 year old had a problem, on the Bob boat, with seasickness- but he was having problems the night before with this on the Mariner anyway.

In summary, 21 & 14 want to do it again next year when we cruise again. 18 wants to skip it.

Good luck.

My wife and I both enjoyed BOB in St Thomas!! Our only regret was that it was too short . . . would have liked to have one for several hours! This is something you rally must try at least once, especially if you aren't certified to scuba dive.

Thanks for all the responses! We will be traveling with a group of 6- 3 (including Kat and I) of us have done Helmet diving in Bermuda so we know that bob is a similar concept. Except with Bob- you got a little power. It was hard to get some movement with helmet diving - thought I was walking in place sometimes!

So how long does the BOB and Snuba last for? Both excursions take place in St Thomas and they would be booked through RCI. How long are you under water? How many people are on the boat? How many people go under water each time?

Any scary stuff down there? Portugese man of war or sharks? As long as it looks like my reef aquarium I will be alright. But it's always in the back of my mind what else is lurking out there in the deep blue ocean!! :eek:

Thanks for all the help,

gwen

OK, it's been a few years, but I'll see if I can answer your questions:

- I think the whole trip was ~ 3 hrs

- ~20 on the boat w/ 6-8 BOB units

- First group would go down for ~15 min through a 20-30 ft deep canyon . . . colorful fish everywhere! It was like being in a giant aquarium. 2 divers go down with you to assist and lead the tour. I noticed that had some frozen fish food, which may be why we saw so many fish! I didn't see any sharks or anything to be freaked out about.

- The rest of the boat would snorkel until it was their turn

- Nice boat ride back

Since this tour I have done one quick resort course and scuba dive in Cozumel . . . it was very cool as well, but I had more ear pain and had troubles staying down. Ultimately scuba diving would tend the best way to see marine life, but if you don't scuba, I think BOB is a pretty cool way to go!

rburns44 (or anyone else who may know the answer to this)--Who do you look into doing this with in Cozumel? We didn't do it while on our Mariner cruise last year and I was really hoping to be able to do it on our Freedom cruise next year. But I wasn't sure if any of the Western Caribbean ports do it. I was excited to see that you did it in Cozumel. Was it through the ship or did you book it on a seperate excursion?

Archived