Alcohol Policy

bing2

Sorry. In sure this has been asked many time. The alcohol policy seems in conflict with the gift policy-this is in the alcohol policy..... Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.-but, they have gift bottles available for purchase. I assume these go to your stateroom? I also thought you could buy a bottle from the gift shop for your room..very confused.

Here is what drives me nuts!! On a 31 day B2B cruise on the Golden in March , I came on board with 2 bottles of wine in my carry on. That was OK. I also had 2 liters of scotch purchased at the LAX DF store in their original wrapper. With them, I had a copy of the passage contract that said they would hold the bottles until the end of the cruise.

When I boarded the ship in Buenos Aires, I was told the 2 bottles of scotch would be confiscated. I showed the person the passage contract and got a blank look. I then went to guest services to lodge a complaint about my scotch. The upshot was the bar manager said they would keep it for me. Half way through the cruise, on turnaround day the bottles were delivered to me!!

The kicker was in Valparaiso, all the carry on bags were screened in port, and there was NO screening on the ship. I brought back 6 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin!

However, at another port, there was someone handing out claim checks for the alcohol they were bringing on board.

I also had some OBC, and used it to purchase some rum and gin at their ridiculous prices. This was delivered to my cabin on embarkation day

You can order 375ml bottles for your room. They aren't cheap. For instance a 375ml bottle of Jim Beam sells for $17 on the ship. In the local liquor store a 750ml bottle of Jim Beam sells for $12.99.

You can also purchase full sized bottles of liquor duty free onboard but they won't let you have it in your cabin until the last night so you have it to take off with you in the morning.

The alcohol policy is not uniform by any means. Last year our last port was Aruba. Out of curiosity (I often check) I checked out the Aruba DFS and my favorite gin was a good bit cheaper than on the ship so I bought two bottles (there are two of us) to bring back onto the ship. I put it through the scanner and nothing was said so I took it to my cabin. They are getting better about collecting the $15 corking fee on bottles of wine over the one/pax allowed.

The alcohol policy is not uniform by any means. Last year our last port was Aruba. Out of curiosity (I often check) I checked out the Aruba DFS and my favorite gin was a good bit cheaper than on the ship so I bought two bottles (there are two of us) to bring back onto the ship. I put it through the scanner and nothing was said so I took it to my cabin. They are getting better about collecting the $15 corking fee on bottles of wine over the one/pax allowed.

Next time, get a flyer from the DFS and the ship will match the price. That and your Elite 10% off will take the sting out of their pricing. :)